Food :)

Forum: Entertainment

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Entertainment LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 8th, 2011, 06:23 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
What is your favorite thing to cook/bake?

Do you have any food allergies/dietary restrictions in your house?

Do you have guests over for a meal often? If so, do you cater to any dietary restrictions/allergies your guest may have?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
October 9th, 2011, 10:35 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
What is your favorite thing to cook/bake? My favorite thing to cook is taco salad or chili. Mmmmm. Yes, they're simple but they're oh-so-tasty. I've also really gotten into make spaghetti and meatballs because my kids get so excited when they see the meatballs versus just marinara or meat sauce.

Do you have any food allergies/dietary restrictions in your house? Nope, not in our house.

Do you have guests over for a meal often? If so, do you cater to any dietary restrictions/allergies your guest may have? No, I don't often have people over for a meal. I have about 2 holiday meals here a year and that's about it.

It's funny that you should ask about catering to dietary restrictions/allergies, because my sister and I used to get into that debate a lot. Here in the KS, typically, you do not have a hostess catering to all her guests dietary needs. However, my sister moved to NYC for 3 years and there, yes, the hostess would call all her guests to confirm all dietary restrictions and base her meal plan off of all those restrictions. Honestly, I think that is ridiculous! Now, if you have ONE guest who, say, is allergic to dairy products than I see no problem keeping the cheese on the side of the entree versus on it.
But, like with my sister, she has a mile-long list of things she is "allergic" to and then things she chooses not to eat - like red meat. I'm NOT going to make 12-20 guests at my party eat something that tastes half as good because it's made in an altered way to satisfy 1-2 guests OR cook something that no one likes because it's one of the few things 1 guest can eat. So, I've told my sister it is her responsibility to bring something to our family get-togethers and Dh can grill it while he is grilling everyone elses burgers or steaks or I can warm it up in the microwave/oven as I'm cooking everything else.
I mean, I feel I do so much as it is with cleaning my house in tip-top shape, shopping for all the tableware, decor, and groceries as well as all the cooking, that it makes sense for that guest to take it upon themselves to bring something to eat if they have so many allergies and things they just simply choose not to eat. And, as for dairy.....my sister read a statistic that 1 in 4 people have a dairy allergy but most do not know it (they have an upset stomach here and there or a little irregularity). I think the longer you go without having dairy the more sensitive you are when you have some. So, like in my sister's case, if she hadn't chosen to completely take dairy out of her diet than she wouldn't be so sensitive to it. So, then, I do not feel it my obligation to cater to her every whim.
I guess I should also say that I feel more strongly about this when it comes to not having a traditional meal - say burgers and hot dogs on the 4th of July - because of 1-2 guests dietary restrictions. And, I'd be more than willing not to have pork chops - something I rarely cook anyways and not as many people enjoy as other dishes - say, if I were to have a Muslim over for dinner. Or, if I were having several Catholics over for dinner during lent, I would be okay with making a seafood dish. So yeah, I'm okay with doing it for religious or cultural reasons.
October 10th, 2011, 07:49 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
The last question was inspired by a debate I had over the summer. I was raised that if you don't plan on taking allergies or health restrictions into account, you don't invite the person. The person I was talking to thought I was crazy because I was trying to find recipes that catered to my DH's and niece's food allergies along with my dad's diabetes. What flabberghasted me even more is the person was okay with the thought of going out of my way to make diabetic friendly foods but not for the food allergies. My DH has an epi-pen. Of course I'm going to cater to his allergies. And my nieces reaction was pretty bad on first exposure, who knows how bad it'll be next time. Am I really supposed to tell a 2 year old "Sorry, I know that looks yummy and I'm eating in front of you but you can't have any?"

To be fair, I did make some not-so-diabetic friendly foods, but I made sure dad had plenty to eat without those. Every food I made for that meal was allergen free.

Now to answer my other question. I LOVE cooking. My current favorite is pan-fried pork chops (cooking in olive oil). We don't do it often though because fried isn't the healthiest.

We have someone over once a month or so. Yes, I cater to allergies and restrictions. (See above. )

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
October 10th, 2011, 08:40 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
What is your favorite thing to cook/bake? cookies

Do you have any food allergies/dietary restrictions in your house? we have nut allergies

Do you have guests over for a meal often? If so, do you cater to any dietary restrictions/allergies your guest may have? no

October 10th, 2011, 09:34 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
See, for most people, I just rather not invite the one person rather than cook something I don't like to cook and something that all my other guests aren't going to enjoy as much. If I were that one person, I wouldn't feel comfortable making a hostess go through so much trouble for just me OR cooking something that other guests are not going to enjoy as much as the dishes the hostess would have made if I were not coming.

With that being said, of course, you're going to cater to your Dh's needs - you live with him! As for the 2-year-old niece, the thing is her parents have to be starting now in teaching her that she cannot eat what most other people are eating. There is one girl in my daughter's kindergarten class who just has a box of her own snacks for snacktime because she has so many allergies. And, if I had a small child with a lot of allergies, I'd just bring something for him/her to eat wherever we went as I wouldn't feel comfortable telling everyone what his/her allergies were and making them feel obligated to change their menu. However, you are talking about family, so that's a little different.

Also, if it's the case that the person is so allergic to whatever it is that it requires an epi-pen, then yeah, provisions have to be made.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search