Marginal Cord Insertion (AkA Battledore placenta)

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
So during my big ultrasound which I had at around 26 weeks, it was determined that the umbelical cord was attached to the placenta on the side instead of the middle as is normal (referred to as Marginal Cord insertion). When the midwife told me about this, she was not concerned at all. She went as far as saying she didn't know why they bothered marking this on the ultrasound or recommending a follow-up ultrasound at 36 weeks since it made no difference...

And so I really have not been thinking about it. A girl in my DDC recently had her baby (she was not induced but went into labour on her own) at 35 weeks and they determined that she had that same umbelical cord anormaly which is why she went into pre-term labour... Well this contradicts what I have heard from my midwife who says it makes no difference whatsoever so I decided to look into it.. and though the complications resulting from it are rare... there is still complications and most website say that there is a delivery with no complication as long as the situation is well monitored (It can turn into velamentous cord or cause fetal distress during labour even resulting in still birth when combined with a low-lying placenta - which thankfully I did not have as per my last ultrasound)

So... I'm having a follow up ultrasound on April 14th (I will be 36 weeks) but not by recommendation of my midwife for this reason (actually when I asked her what she recommended, she told me that she did not see the use of it) but because I am considering home birth and she likes to get a final ultrasound before home birth to make sure I am still low risk...

Now I'm thinking that any sort of emergency resulting from this anormality would be solved by C-Section and the hospital that is within 5 min from my house does deal with deliveries and I believe C-Sections... I guess it shouldn't deter me from doing a home birth... but to be honest it has me doubting my midwife a little bit.. because she specifically said that she could not understand why they would even bother mentioning this on the ultrasound..

What do you think? I know this is definately going to make DH reconsider.... so I need to be strong in my beliefs... if I am sure, I know he will follow my lead and feel safe... he relies on my research as he cannot be bothered... and I'm not sure where I stand on this right now...
April 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I think I agree with your MW. The person in your DDC may have had problems, and this may not have made things BETTER< but I cant understand how it would on its own contribute to fetal distress if that makes any sense.

I can see where in a situation where pitocin is used, it could potentially have different effects, b/c of the placement of the cord perhaps its also more likely to have pressure applied differently during a pitocin contraction, who knows. I just cant see it causing preterm labor though, and in that case you would proceed to a hospital and it would all be a moot point.

Personally, I wonder what a follow up ultrasound will do as a benefit for THIS particular situation - is it possible the cord has moved? If thats not possible, then what changes might the ultrasound present? Any? None?

I dunno, perhaps I need to do a bit more research myself before speaking further. Ive done a lot of research particularly where placement of the placenta is concerned, and where the cord is concerned (though not together), and I've yet to see anything that shows theres a problem. Perhaps one option would be to ask for proof or documentation of concern from your OB rather than ask for proof of lack of complications from a MW. (Does that make sense?)

Lala...

Heres some great info I found:
http://www.birthwithlove.com/Glossary/Term...tion+(placenta)

Seems that the actual placement is what is of concern. I'm assumign your MW understands where it is placed and has ruled out the few rare concerns based on that.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 2nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Do you know the actual statistics on it, like if 1 in 5000 turns out bad or whatever? I guess I would weigh those against the statistics of getting in a car accident, kwim? It might actually be more statistically dangerous for you to drive to the hospital.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
April 2nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Everything I read said the risks were so minute that they really didnt have actual #s. Also - the cord placement alone isnt what causes the problem, its usually other things combined with it.

PErsonally, Id stay home - its the place youre least likely to encounter the things that do raise your risks.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
yeah I'll be dicussing it with my midwife... My next appointment isn't until April 9th... and so I've been having too mmuch time thinking and not enough time discussing things lol

I guess it was just a shock for me to read this girls birth story where she had been told that this problem was the reason she went into labor at 35 weeks... but she just gave birth so she hasn't been on enough for me to really question her about it.. maybe it was more then just marginal cord insertion.. or maybe her OB just used that as an excuse since he couldn't come up with anything else that was different...

1 more week until my midwife appointment... lol I can't wait for it to discuss things further as right now I feel like everything is up in the air! What is annoying me is whebnever we talk about home birth DH says lets just wait and see what the midwife has to say about it... But last time we brought it up to her, DH sounded so against it that I have a feeling she picked up on that and really answered to his fears (and he was happy to just jump on the "we are too far from the hospital wagon")
April 2nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Super Mommy
It really does not seem like a big deal.

And the story of the other girl in you DDC, the doc could have just been searching for a reason to give to mom. He can't just say "I don't know."

Mom to boys: G 7, C 5, K 4, N 3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search