Home Birth supply checklist

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2008, 12:28 PM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
Ok here is a combination of my must have checklist given to me by my midwife and some other stuff I found online (that are more nice to haves). Obviously any must haves that are not on my checklist will be provided by my midwife, so I don't need to add anything there... but what about other nice to haves?

Must Haves
  • Heating pad or hot water bottle (To warm blankets for baby)
  • Space Heater (To warm environment for baby)
  • 6 Towels (To dry baby off)
  • 4 Receiving blankets (To wrap babe in)
  • Baby hat (To keep baby's head warm immediately after birth)
  • 12 Face cloths (For warm/cold compresses)
  • Cookie sheet or tray (Used to set up newborn resuscitation area)
  • 2 Large bowls (Can be used as barf bowl, or to put water in for compresses)
  • Large plastic container (For storage of the placenta)
  • 2 Green garbage bags (One for laundry and one for garbage)
  • Lots of Maxi pads
  • Emergency phone numbers and sheet with my full name, address and phone number to be placed near all phones in the house
  • Hydrogen peroxide (To remove blood stains out of fabric or carpets)
Nice to Haves
  • Light nutricious snacks (eg fruit juice, yoghurt, bananas, toast, honey)
  • Lighting, music and candles (To create a relaxing environment)
  • Massage oil or lotion
  • Postpartum pain medication (Such as Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen)
  • Olive oil (Can be used for perineal massage)
  • Ice pack (Can feel great on postpartum perineum)
  • Water bottle with squirt top (Gentle way to clense perineum after birth - instead of toilet paper)
  • Camera
Anything else you could think of?

Also my daughter who will be 22 months old at the time will be present.. I'm thinking I should prepare things for her (to keep her busy, fed etc.) so that DH's attention can be as much on me as possible.
April 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We used tons of Chux pads, I think my midwife have me get about 20-30 of them, though I still have some left over. We also got a plastic drop cloth which I labored on at the end. That totally saved my carpet . Also, make sure you have easy food around for your midwife and support team.

Another great use for olive oil is to help with the meconium diapers after birth. If you put some on the baby's bottom it doesn't stick and makes diaper changes SO much easier. I wish I had know that trick three kids ago

April 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
one can never have enough chux!

my midwife requires at least three bottles of juice in the house when labor starts, for hydration with a tiny boost.
get an extra peri bottle (the squirt bottles for the toilet)...or six! one for every bathroom, plus at least one for your kiddo to steal, because kids (at least, mine) think they are super-cool to play with!
bendy straws...bendy straws are every laboring woman's friend, no matter where that labor takes place...

drop by mothering's home birth page, one of their stickies is a GIANT list of birth supply "extras". seriously, giant. with weird food suggestions for healing any tears (seaweed, anyone? they say it works!). and frozen condoms for your swollen girly bits...made slushy and flexible with either rubbing alcohol or dishsoap.
April 11th, 2008, 07:06 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
Quote:
drop by mothering's home birth page, one of their stickies is a GIANT list of birth supply "extras". seriously, giant. with weird food suggestions for healing any tears (seaweed, anyone? they say it works!). and frozen condoms for your swollen girly bits...made slushy and flexible with either rubbing alcohol or dishsoap.[/b]
hmmm I can't find it... is it in the discussion boards? because those are down right now.. and i'm thinking this may be why I can't see it! lol
April 11th, 2008, 08:14 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We bought a packet of herbs for peri bottle rinses (peri bottle is darn near a necessity if its not on your list), and so what we did, was we made a tea with the herbs, and then spooned them into a packet of pads, then froze them. I used them after birth to reduce swelling & reduce risk of infection. I swear those were the best thign ever. IT ranked right up there with the water birth tub lol.

Other than that, chux pads, juice, snacks, music, etc are all I really look back and go "Thank god i had those! " lol. OH wait - we did place a shower curtain under the birth tub, which did end up spilling over at one point. We also got a plastic mattress pad - made the bed with clean sheets, then the plastic, then another set of clean sheets. After the birth, the sheets came off, the plastic came off -and voila! clean made bed! WE also had golden seal salve, and borage oil.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 15th, 2008, 12:19 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Chapstick, and some type of lemon hard candy---helps with your mouth getting dried out due to the deep breathing. Throw away pajamas-you will most likely have lots of post-baby bleeding flow for a couple weeks...have some pairs of bottoms you don't mind ruining and throwing away. Witch hazel is wonderful for those pesky little tears and to help belly button cord fall off. Also rubber gloves--pack with ice for swelling after wards....the gloves work better because you can put the cold fingers and palm all over to cover the sore spots.
April 17th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I wasn't too into drinking, so I had frozen oj concentrate. That was a total necessity to me, and tortillas. The two together helped me not get nauseous. I definitely recommend looking on mothering's list for some herbs and stuff too. There is something called "after ease" thats supposed to help with afterpains. I'm definitely getting some next time because the after pains were worse than labor for me.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
April 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
drop by mothering's home birth page, one of their stickies is a GIANT list of birth supply "extras". seriously, giant. with weird food suggestions for healing any tears (seaweed, anyone? they say it works!). and frozen condoms for your swollen girly bits...made slushy and flexible with either rubbing alcohol or dishsoap.[/b]
hmmm I can't find it... is it in the discussion boards? because those are down right now.. and i'm thinking this may be why I can't see it! lol
[/b]
yep, it's on the discussion boards linky (are we allowed to do that? i'll take it down if not... )
April 17th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
crock pot to warm water for compresses, a bowl to catch the placenta in, juice, rescue remedy (bach flower), arnica, witch hazel (for the peri bottle), after-ease tincture or tylenol for the afterpains

My midwife has removed baby hats from her list of what we need. There have been studies done in the last couple years that have found that full term infant don't need hats after birth and in fact hats can cause problems with them maintaining their temperature. I think all the studies have been done at NIH. One study on preemies actually found COOLING hats help them do best. Totally counter-intuitive, but interesting.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM
4boys
You've listed 4 receiving blankets on your list. I had six and I could have used more. Reid was born totally covered in vernix and he pooped a whole lot right when he was born so he had mec on him too; maybe that's why they needed so many blankets at first. So if I were you, I'd get a few more just to be safe. Things my midwives really needed and seemed to run out of even though I had on hand the amount they wanted were garbage bags and washcloths. They used tons of washcloths. They even went and got the pile I had in the cupboard for bathing my kids and used those!! And still needed more!! I second the statement that you can never have too many chux pads! I had a shower curtain liner under the sheets on my bed but if I had known, I would have had one beside the bed as well. I ended up delivering beside the bed on my knees and the carpet really took a beating (good thing it's old). I used After Ease for a few days after having Reid and it DID help, tastes awful but it works. I actually took that AND ibuprofen together when the after pains were really bad.

Your list looks great, good luck!
April 20th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Super Mommy
Depends are better than pads for the first day or 2 especially if you have any tearing.
Boyshorts underwear are great for holding pads in place.
Gaterade during and right after labor.
Lannolin for sore nipples.
You NEED the Peri-bottle.
Camera and batteries for the camera. (any pictures are priceless!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search