Question on Oxytocin administered routinely

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2008, 11:38 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
My midwife informed me that for home births, they will normally routinely administer oxytocin after birth in order to reduce the risk of hemorage.. Now she has informed me that as long as certain criteria are met (or not met) during labour and delivery she is comfortable with me refusing it but that normally it is done as a matter of routine.

Now I had a midwife assisted hospital birth last time (with early release.. I was home within hours of giving birth) and this was something that wa snever brought up or needed... So unless I am showing signs of hemorage, it should be totally normal for me to refuse it right?

I just feel that one of the reason I am chosing a home birth is because I am trying to avoid any unecessary interventions.. so why should I get these interventions after the baby is born? I'm scared that this will make my after labour pains more difficult and make it harder to deal with taking care of a newborn and a toddler... ANd other then DH who really means well and thinks he is a great help (but is not!) I will not be having any sort of help or support from friends or family... so I really need to be in as good of a shape to help myself as possible!

Do your midwives administer this routinely? would you refuse it if you (and your midwife) felt it was safe to do so... lol I'm starting to feel like my midwife thinks I am a complete hippy... lol I'm totally not a natural crazy person normally... I've just researched so much (maybe too much! lol) on childbirth...
April 10th, 2008, 11:52 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
MWs here do NOT administer it routinely, though many (most) hospitals do - most of the time without even telling you.

I am personally VERY against it. I'm fine with it as a last resort if theres a problem (heck probably even a first resort if its a life threatening emergency after the birth, but thats soooooooooo rare).

I was even at a slightly increased. I had such a low lying placenta, that in very rare occasions the placenta has trouble seperating (b/c the fibers at the lower part of the uterus dont contract as hard).

We had no need for it - and should the need arisen, we would have used natural measures first (There are a lot of herbs which are quite useful & work quite well).

One of the girls delivering with my MW, who i became friends with just b/c we shared so many prenatal appts, ended up takign THREE HOURS to deliver her placenta. But since there was no hemorrhaging, the MW let it ride out (though she said it turned a few of her hairs gray lol) and never used pitocin. She said she aws about 30 mins off of it though, since shed already been stuffing her up to her ears with herbs & tinctures lol.

Like I said, I'm pretty adamant against it routinely. The midwifery authorities dont seem to see the need for it either, and one of the things that is part of mother-friendly birth is no routine administration of pitocin, not during & not after.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 10th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I can understand how your MW might want to cover her bases, but it doesn't seem like something that would be in your best interest, unless of course there's a problem. During one of my homebirths, I had to get the shot of pitocin jammed into my leg because of some excessive bleeding, but it was more as a precaution in case the bleeding got worse. Everything turned out fine, but I did have terrible afterpains with a seriously bad ache in my leg along with them. I would refuse as long as everything is fine, but make sure to tell your MW about any big gushes of bleeding you might have after birth. In that case, it might be better to be safe than sorry.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 10th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It wasn't routine for my midwife either. I did have a shot after birth to help control the bleeding but we discussed it before she administered it. I lost quite a bit of blood and was fine with her decision. I wouldn't have it if it wasn't clearly indicated though.

April 11th, 2008, 06:07 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
Thanks guys! I will be telling my midwife to hold off on it unless circumstances make it necessary!
April 11th, 2008, 09:54 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife does not administer it routinely. She has it on hand to be used if you actually need it, but not routinely.
April 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM
})i({~Jackie~})i({
Just bite a chunk out of the placenta LOL!!!! Ok, I'm joking, but that is the saver of all saves for an emergency. LOL!!

Is it harmful to have pitocin injected after the baby is born? What (exactly) is bad about it?
April 14th, 2008, 11:34 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know of any MW in my home base area that do it routinely and I know 5 hospitals that I have worked at/with that Do not use it routinely...only if there is extra bleeding (or a couple doctors who were tired and wanted the placenta out now so that he could get into the next room for a mom in labor ) I personally would feel 100% ok with holding off on it unless really needed.
April 16th, 2008, 01:47 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
My midwife didn't routinely do this either.

If you get pitocin at a typical time (for a medically managed birth, which routine use of pitocin would fall under) it will help clamp down the uterus. It will also put a clock on for the placenta to be out as it is causes the uterus to clamp down, if it takes too long after the dose then surgery becomes a real possibility.

April 16th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
My midwife does not do it routinely, but I had to have pitocin after my homebirth. I lost alot of blood and was passing out.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

April 16th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My midwives don't use anything routinely. They gave me herbs (Lady's Mantle) because I had a history of hemorrhage after my previous two births (pitocin did NOTHING after Ani's birth to stop the bleeding btw, methergine worked after Cameron's) and I was, in my midwife's words "flowing" after Fritz was born as soon as my placenta separated. We had talked a lot about my previous experiences and I was apprehensive about another hemorrhage so I had asked to be sure they had them on hand and I wanted to be given them. But for most women they take the wait and see approach.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search