Did you do a water birth?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
Ok so now that it looks like I will be getting my home birth (as long as ultrasound is ok and I make it to at least 37 weeks.. either of which should not be a problem...) I guess it means that the option of a waterbirth is once again open to me... I didn't ask my midwife... but last time I brought it up she simply said that the hospital wouldn't allow it (I was planning on birthing at the hospital at the time)

I just don't know if I want the hassle of a waterbirth.. lol before you get surprised at me referring to it as a hassle please keep in mind that other then DH, the midwife and her birth attendent... I will have no one there.. no other support people... so the thought of setting up / filling up the tub while I'm in labour sounds like a bit of a hassle... especially since I'm thinking I'll be spending the first stage (before it gets too painful) doing things such as cutting up fruits to prepare some fruit platters and just prepping some other simple foods.. making sure DD is comfortable.. setting up a corner in our room where she can watch tv.. etc... ell some of it will be done in advance... but not everything.. lol for all I know I may have eaten all the fruits already and may have to take a short walk to the grocery store!

It sounds silly... but I'm also a little bit apprehensive about brining it up with my midwife... I already feel like I may have made some requests that may have taken her slightly out of her comfort zone (such as not routinely administering the oxytocin, or even the homebirth itself.. lol) and i's a silly reason not to get the birth I want... but I honestly don't know what birth I want!!

With Elyssa I laboured in the tub... but had her in the hospital bed... I remember severe annoyance because the water kept on getting cold.. lol... and I really don't know if the whole experience would have been better or worse out of the jacuzzi... Now I do have a nice soaker tub at home.. but I also hate my bathroom.. lol so I don't know how relaxing it would be for me to be in there to labour!!

Wow! How did this turn into such a long post? All I really meant to ask is was your home birth a water birth? and why or why not?
April 11th, 2008, 11:05 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine was a water birth at home, because it cut the pain in half. I had two dry hospital births and there's just no comparison.
April 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
})i({~Jackie~})i({
I didn't notice a difference because I had a very easy labor up until 10 cm so there wasn't any pain to cut out. Once the pain kicked in (when my cervix started closing) then I had to get pitocin/epidural and for that I was in the bed.

Many women swear by them, but for my first preg. I didn't need it. I do plan on it next time though.
April 12th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I have had two waterbirths, one in the hospital, one at home. And to me, nothing compares to it. I can't imagine giving birth "on land" so to speak. It just would never be an option for me. My hard stage of labor started around 11pm, I was in the tub by 11:30, with DH and my midwife boiling pots of water the whole time. Honestly, DH says it wasn't too much work for him, it kept him busy. Of course cleaning up sucked, but it really didn't take more than 30 minutes to do it.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
April 12th, 2008, 11:34 AM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
I've been more and more interested in a water birth too, if it doesn't involve needles pills or meds of any kind yet it relieves pain, my ears perk for sure! But then again... I dunno..

You will choose the right thing for you. I think your hubby can help you a lot though, which he SHOULD be. You don't need to run your own bath water and keep it hot, and surely you don't need to be the one to cut the fruits. (Kinda surprised no one has said this yet?) You have the hardest job there for cryin out loud lol.

As far as bringing it up to your midwife, you could approach it by saying "What do you think about women and water births?" (Or something...)

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 12th, 2008, 11:43 AM
4boys
I planned on having a water birth with Reid but even though we set the pool up and filled it, I never got in once! I was hoping it would help with pain relief since I tend to dilate really quickly and have fast intense labors. But this time it all happened so quickly I didn't get a chance to get in. As soon as my midwife arrived, she checked me, I was 8-9 cm and just had to push so I just knelt down right where I was by my bed and started pushing. He was born about 10 minutes later. So I just didn't have time. But everyone I know who has used a pool or had a water birth has said that they would never do it any other way so I think it would be definitely worth looking into or planning on.

I think cleaning the pool afterwards might be a bit of a pain but my midwives were going to do it for me. Also, it contains any mess. My carpet in my bedroom now has a super huge stain on it since Reid passed a bunch of meconium as soon as he was born. Besides that there was lots of amniotic fluid behind him that pretty much hit my midwife in the face and some blood. So a pool would have been an advantage there!
April 12th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I have had 1 hospital birth and 1 water birth at home. I had such a fast birth that it was only filled about 1ft deep and I was already a 10 when I got in. But the pain was so much better the second I got in the water. I started pushing a few minutes later and then she was born. I will definately have the next in water.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

April 14th, 2008, 07:41 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a hospital birth with my first and a water birth with my second - now I want to have another baby just to have another water birth! I wanted one because I'd heard that it helped so much with relaxation, and it was certainly true for me. I was at 6 cm when I got in, and was holding my baby less than an hour later.

We didn't have many people around either - only DH and myself early on in labor, and my midwife and her assistant later on. He had already inflated the pool when they arrived, and they helped fill it - first with the hose, then with pots of boiling water when the water heater said "NO MORE". He didn't mind it at all - he wanted to be kept busy too. He did say that emptying it was a bit of a pain (and has commented more than once on how gross the water was ) - my FIL helped him drag it outside, and they just slashed a hole in it to let it drain rather than emptying. I wish they would've done it differently, but oh well. I had the beautiful birth experience I wanted, there was zero mess to clean up, and it wasn't THAT much work for them to drag it outside.

If it's something you're interested in, I would suggest watching as many birth videos as you can - both water and land births - and see what appeals to you more. You'll figure out just what it is you want before long. And don't hesitate to tell your midwife what it is when you do - SHE is working for YOU, after all!
April 15th, 2008, 11:58 AM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Ahh wonderful advice/stories on this thread! I have been thinking more and more about doing a water birth and at this point I'm pretty convinced! I'm definitely bringing it up to my potential midwives as well, I hope all goes well for you talking to your midwife about it

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 17th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I really wanted to try a water birth last time...but the mw's I was seeing at the bc didn't have a big tub, just a regular sized one. Then when I decided to just stay home instead of go in, I had thought about it again, but my mom was staying with us for two weeks and I hadn't confided in her my plans to uc (because she would have had a COW), so I thought that would be a little too obvious to have a pool hanging around. Plus I was praying to labor at night (which I did) and not be noticed by her...and I was afraid that filling a pool would be too loud. And I didn't know how we'd drain it either. So I decided against it. I'm still interested in it for next time maybe, but I don't know. Giving birth without it wasn't too bad. I guess it'll depend on where we live and stuff, kwim?

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
April 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
I had planned on a water birth with my last baby (a home birth). I have a large roman tub in my bathroom, so I didn't need a pool. I got in at 7 cm right after my water broke and labored in there for about an hour. I was all worried that I wouldn't have enough hot water in the house to keep it at a good temp for a long time, but I actually felt hot and kept asking them to cool the water so I could breath! When it came time to push I found that I could not get comfortable and get the leverage I wanted holding on to something. I actually was not feeling a huge urge to push (even though I was at 10cm). I thought it was because I was too relaxed and the buoyancy was too great. So I got out and tried three more positions before delivering on all 4's. Later I found out that even though I was 10 cm I had no urge to push in water or on land - weird I know.

I did enjoy the water for the pain during transition to 10. I wish I could have delivered in there, but it all worked out in the end!

I wanted to add one more thing... if you have seen the documentary done by Ricki Lake you saw her deliver her baby in a little bity bathroom tub - like standard size. So it can be done without a pool!

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
April 23rd, 2008, 07:05 AM
twiceinabluemoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had one waterbirth and the rest were land births. I think I am the odd one out. THough I like laboring in the water, I prefer to birth on land.

I'll Cry if I Want to / My Photography Blog </div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search