How many of you birthed unassisted?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2008, 03:51 AM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
I am back to having issues with finding a midwife, so far they have all said no for one reason or another and I've got one that one call me back and another that will do it "if she stays in the state" ! *sigh* Anyway, I'm seriously wondering if the awful hospital scenario I'm trying to avoid would be better than just trying to have me and my husband be my midwife ourselves... he actually suggested that to me earlier that we learn as much as we can do be able to do it on our own, but I think that's crazy!

But then again, I'm curious.. and I'm pondering it as it seems getting the midwife grows harder each day. . .

I've checked out the unassisted birth stories but are there more of you 'round here? What kind of input, pearls of wisdom, fears, regrets, thanks, etc you can offer to me during my research period

Thanks ladies!

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 17th, 2008, 08:21 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We used a lay midwife (which you may be able to find in your area too!), so "technicallY" (aka legally) it was unassisted.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 17th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
First I have to say that your husband rocks to have suggested it! I did birth unassisted in August 2006. I WILL uc again if I have any more kids (unless God directs me otherwise). If you're interested, pm me and I'll send you some links that helped me out.

Oh yeah, and aside from birth stories, check out youtube because there are some uc birth videos on there too I've seen. And you can google "uc birth stories" or "unassisted birth stories" etc.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
April 17th, 2008, 08:42 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
First I have to say that your husband rocks to have suggested it! I did birth unassisted in August 2006. I WILL uc again if I have any more kids (unless God directs me otherwise). If you're interested, pm me and I'll send you some links that helped me out.

Oh yeah, and aside from birth stories, check out youtube because there are some uc birth videos on there too I've seen. And you can google "uc birth stories" or "unassisted birth stories" etc.[/b]
I would love to hear you links! DH and I are also needing info on this topic!
ANd ITSAGIRL---you must have an amazing husband to suggest that! I am trying to get DH to think that way, your man just asked for it...you are a lucky girl!
April 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
lol yeah he's not interested in spending almost an hour in the car trying to get to the hospital, and then ending up giving birth in the car anyway! Plus he knows how much it means to me to be at home, I think he feels it in his gut that it's best too

Isaeph, go ahead and set over those links!! I'll PM you as well. Thanks!

Lala, what's a lay midwife?

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 17th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
good luck if you decide to do this

my nurse showed up about 45 minutes before I gave birth and the midwife was 20 or so minutes late, so it was close to being unassisted, but it wasn't. I really thought it would have been though.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

April 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A lay midwife is a midwife trained through apprenticeship (the "old fashioned" way) - and is not licensed.

In our state, lay midwives are illegal (though thats not the case everywhere), and may not legally attend births.

By definition, since we did not have a licensed caregiver, it was "unassisted". However, we had the "assistance" of a trained midwife lol. Does that make sense?

Most places have "underground" lay midwives if you look hard enough

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 17th, 2008, 04:37 PM
lol I hear ya! That is so stupid that lay midwives would be illegal anywhere, gosh..

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 17th, 2008, 08:48 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We UC! I think Isaeph has given great advice but just in case you haven't found a particular site I'm PMing you
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

April 17th, 2008, 11:01 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
We UC! I think Isaeph has given great advice but just in case you haven't found a particular site I'm PMing you [/b]
CAn you PM me to or post it so others reading this thread can use them!
April 18th, 2008, 12:38 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife was present (although she was still a student - the senior midwife didn't make it on time, so does that make us unassisted? ) - DH preferred it that way, and so did I. Being my first home birth I was a *little* nervous. Having had one already though, I would definitely consider it IF we have another child.

Good luck with that decision - there's a wealth of information on this board!
April 18th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Quote:
My midwife was present (although she was still a student - the senior midwife didn't make it on time, so does that make us unassisted? ) - DH preferred it that way, and so did I. Being my first home birth I was a *little* nervous. Having had one already though, I would definitely consider it IF we have another child.

Good luck with that decision - there's a wealth of information on this board! [/b]

Well what would keep you from deciding to go unassisted next time?

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 19th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
My unplanned unassisted birth went great. My story is here:

http://www.angelfire.com/emo2/felicity/

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

April 20th, 2008, 05:10 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
My last was a planned unassisted, it was that or go to a hospital, no thanks!

I am planning another unassisted, I have talked to many about going unassisted and know a lot in my city that do, we don't feel we have a choice living here.

April 23rd, 2008, 08:02 AM
twiceinabluemoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had two UC's. For many reasons I would probably not have another UC.

My first one was beautiful, perfect.
My second one was hard. My husband wasn't there (a friend was) and I felt so abandoned on so many levels. For me it is better to have a support system at my births (which you can have in a UC).

With our third homebirth we had a midwife and I am really glad we did as we had some complications that she was prepared to handle, but my husband and I would not have been prepared to handle.

I'll Cry if I Want to / My Photography Blog </div>
April 27th, 2008, 08:48 PM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would love those links if you could PM me. I'm planning my first homebirth which is to be unassisted.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search