Midwifes vs. Doulas

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM
littlebabydolly
I need some clarification on the role of a midwife and doula? From my understanding it seems like the midwife is much more trained. I thought she did everything, from pre-natal to hand holding and coaching at the labor.

Someone has told me different, that a midwife will only be willing to come to your birth with in a few hours of delivery and that their first priority is the baby, not the mother. I was told the doula fills in the gaps where the midwife leaves off.

As I know it's being discussed in another thread, it's enough to cope with the cost of a midwife. Do I need a doula too?
April 22nd, 2008, 12:26 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I need some clarification on the role of a midwife and doula? From my understanding it seems like the midwife is much more trained. I thought she did everything, from pre-natal to hand holding and coaching at the labor.

Someone has told me different, that a midwife will only be willing to come to your birth with in a few hours of delivery and that their first priority is the baby, not the mother. I was told the doula fills in the gaps where the midwife leaves off.

As I know it's being discussed in another thread, it's enough to cope with the cost of a midwife. Do I need a doula too?[/b]
The midwife is trained in what she does and a CERTIFIED Doula is trained in her role.
No frill midwives only come a little before the birth and do the medical part of things.
Good Midwives will be there for a couple-few hours prior and give you some support and do the medical stuff.
Great Midwives are there for you the entire time and could cover both doula and midwife roles.
But they only way you will know what kind they are is if you flat out ask them and call for referenses.
Also depending on other patients you never know how long or who else may need their attention.

I have heard of friends or experienced mommas helping support a mom but the only time i hear the term doula I assume they were certified and there for properly trained. A doula who accompanies a woman in labor mothers the mother, taking care of her emotional needs throughout childbirth. A doula also provides support and suggestions for partners that can enhance their experiences of birth. And they are usually there the entire labor-if you want them to be. And most only have 1-2 clients every month to prevent missing anything!

Doula's focus is on mom from waist up LOL the emotional and the mental and stress part. Midwives focus is on the waist down-a uncomplicated delivery and healthy baby. The best combo in my opinion is a doula and a midwife.
April 22nd, 2008, 04:36 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
The above post was very descriptive... in my experience, the midwives I have seen act very much as both midwife and doula, but I guess it is not the same everywhere. Here is a definition of midwifery that I have copied and pasted from this link: http://www.cmo.on.ca/midwifery.asp

Supersedes the ICM "Definition of the Midwife" 1972 and its amendments of 1990

</blockquote>[/b][/quote]
April 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
A midwife takes the role that a Dr will play in a pregnancy and birth.

A doula is a support only person, not medical. Also, certification isn't a requirement and a lot of doulas are not certified, I don't think that makes them less of a doula, they still have all the education/training and for many, have chosen not to certify.

Also, I wouldn't say that most doulas only take 1-2 clients a month, the ones I know (and myself) always took more.

April 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
littlebabydolly
Thanks for the responses ladies! So it sounds like I need to find a GREAT midwife if possible. I haven't heard back from any via email yet so I might have to start calling them this week if my morning sickness gives way a little!

I guess part of my concern is getting an idea of how many people will be at the birth. I first opted that less is better as I read in Ina May's Guide to Childbirth that the cervix is a sphincter and performs best in privacy. I guess that is not to say I can't go into my bedroom with whom ever I want for some privacy when I feel like it.

I was offered free doula services from my step mom who is an RN. She has only acted as a doula once and has never given birth herself. I guess she has had doula training but I think she isn't certified. On one hand she is a very comforting caring person who definitely will have my needs addressed. On the other hand, she is very opinionated. She already thinks she knows when I should get in the water for water birth (AFTER transition she says) though most water birth stories I hear ladies getting in for transition. Of course I could always find another doula too.
April 23rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A good doula will have no opinions about YOUR birth. SHes there to empower YOU for the Birth YOU want.

The other ladies gave a great description. AS a doula, It may sound harsh, but Ive yet to meet an RN who is a great doula. A MW can serve as a good doula, but cases do arise where the attention may need to come off the moms emotional needs & onto the medical aspect - the doula services only the mothers emotional & mental needs & sometimes even the dads lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 24th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Quote:
AS a doula, It may sound harsh, but Ive yet to meet an RN who is a great doula.
....emotional & mental needs & sometimes even the dads lol.[/b]
Hi my name is Angela (have we met? LOL) and I think I am a pretty darn good doula (i never call myself great at anything LOL) and so do my clients and their SO! I was a Certified Doula for years before becoming an RN I got my RN degree and hopefully going to become a CNM some day...my goal to be the GREAT midwife option!

And I totally agree with the dad/SO part for doulas! LOL
April 24th, 2008, 07:42 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I should rephrase

I do know a few doulas who are also RNs, and I will say -t hose that start off in the birth world FIRST usually never lose their touch. Its the RNs that work L&D for years & decide they want to become a doula after their medical indoctrination that *usually* end up being very pro medical doulas, and not very supportive of NCB & mothers rights

Not all of course lol.

I certainly WISH more RNs were doulas at heart though

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Quote:
I should rephrase

I do know a few doulas who are also RNs, and I will say -t hose that start off in the birth world FIRST usually never lose their touch. Its the RNs that work L&D for years & decide they want to become a doula after their medical indoctrination that *usually* end up being very pro medical doulas, and not very supportive of NCB & mothers rights

Not all of course lol.

I certainly WISH more RNs were doulas at heart though

Lala...[/b]
I agree with that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search