Prenatal care

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2008, 11:32 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to yayjennie
Hi everyone! I'm new to the boards, and just found out I'm pregnant last week (Due the end of December). My mother had all 4 of us at home, with no drugs, and I've always known I wanted the same. I'm planning an unassisted birth (although my mother will be there, who teaches the Bradley Method and might as well be a MW, though she's not licensed), and I want to have an unassisted pregnancy. I already know I will not get any US, and don't plan on seeing an OB. But I'm wondering how many of you have had no prenatal care your entire pregnancy. I'm very low risk (young, healthy weight, no problems), although I did have a miscarriage 4 years ago. I just feel like the whole process, from pregnancy to birth, should be mine. And I have no need or desire to see a doctor when I'm not sick! I'm just looking for support, as EVERYONE else thinks I'm crazy. Can anyone relate?
April 22nd, 2008, 10:06 AM
littlebabydolly
Hi Jennie! I am due in December too with my first child. Nice to meet you!

Since I have never done this before I can't give too much advice from experience yet.

If anything, I suggest at least having someone available to you incase of emergency? Like, if you know and have been to an OB/GYN for routine check ups, then you can always go there if the unexpected arises during the prenatal. There are things that do come up though, even in presumably healthy women. Babies might not grow or some organ needs a little help. There are *some* things doctors do that are life saving techniques before birth. I'm not a doctor though so I dont know what all of these things entail. (I've heard something about giving testosterone to under developing lungs in utero. I've also just learned about a bacteria in womens vagina's where doctors often prescribe antibiotics to prevent blindness in a baby, apparently a torn issue even with widwifes) I think many of these things can be assessed at the 20 week ultrasound. It might be something you'd want to get done from a midwife or OB/GYN. Your mom might even know good midwives you can trust to discuss your ideas with. They may be willing to work with you for a few sessions?!

So far for me I have done one appt with an OB/GYN waiting to find a midwife. She didn't really tell me anything I couldn't read in a book. I have heard doctor care referred to as "holding a mirror up" to the situation. Some women need to hear that though, others might not? Sometimes a bit of security goes a long way though. I don't like hospitals but the OB's office isn't so bad. I'm of strong spirit enough to tune out of the info they give me I don't care to hear and make rational informed decisions about their advice.
April 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I see nothing wrong with UP (unassisted prenatal) care if that is what you choose. Birth and pregnancy is not an illness and you do not need all these tests and stuff "just cause".

April 22nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Quote:
If anything, I suggest at least having someone available to you incase of emergency? Like, if you know and have been to an OB/GYN for routine check ups, then you can always go there if the unexpected arises during the prenatal. There are things that do come up though, even in presumably healthy women. Babies might not grow or some organ needs a little help. There are *some* things doctors do that are life saving techniques before birth. I'm not a doctor though so I dont know what all of these things entail. (I've heard something about giving testosterone to under developing lungs in utero. I've also just learned about a bacteria in womens vagina's where doctors often prescribe antibiotics to prevent blindness in a baby, apparently a torn issue even with widwifes) I think many of these things can be assessed at the 20 week ultrasound. It might be something you'd want to get done from a midwife or OB/GYN. Your mom might even know good midwives you can trust to discuss your ideas with. They may be willing to work with you for a few sessions?!

So far for me I have done one appt with an OB/GYN waiting to find a midwife. She didn't really tell me anything I couldn't read in a book. I have heard doctor care referred to as "holding a mirror up" to the situation. Some women need to hear that though, others might not? Sometimes a bit of security goes a long way though. I don't like hospitals but the OB's office isn't so bad. I'm of strong spirit enough to tune out of the info they give me I don't care to hear and make rational informed decisions about their advice.[/b]
Not having an ultrasound, imo, is a fine decision, one that I would prefer, but I have one to appease my husband and then he doesn't say anything about where/how I birth.
If a baby is premature the baby would receive steroids to help the lungs to function, not testosterone.
If something unexpected comes up it shouldn't be an issue to get care, personally, I wouldn't seek out an OB just in case.
GBS (group B strep) is something some people are concerned about, from current research and my schooling, I would watch the baby after the birth for signs and would never treat myself with antibiotics if I tested +. I see far too many risks to the treatment "in case" and see no need to test.

I am planning my 2nd unassisted birth, IF something was to happen in labour I would go to the hospital for emergency care. 95% of all births go without issues as long as mother is left to labour and isn't interferred with and given interventions.

April 22nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I had exactly 3 visits with my midwife when I was pregnant with Fritz. Two at her house and one at mine. The two at her house were just us sitting and chatting. She never even so much as took my blood pressure lol The home visit was to make sure she knew exactly where I lived and that all the birth kit stuff was assembled and all that. I didn't have any ultrasounds with him or with Ani. I was seeing mainstream OBs during my pregnancy with Ani but they didn't do routine u/s for low risk moms (in keeping with the ACOG recommendation actually). This time has been a little different. I've had three visits at my midwife's house and she has done my bp and stuff and listened to his heartbeat with the fetoscope. Of course last visit he was hiding and she never did get his heartbeat, but since he was moving around we didn't figure it mattered to know the exact number. I have had two u/s this time because I got chicken pox before 20 weeks and that carries a risk of IUGR so we needed to be sure the baby was growing normally. Without a medical reason like that we wouldn't have done the u/s. I'll have one more visit (the home visit) and that's it. I know several people who have had UPs and UCs no problem.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 22nd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to yayjennie
Thank you so much for the support! I'm really just looking for positive feedback, as I know I need to hear that other women have done the same thing I'm doing. The more I surround myself with, the easier the pregnancy and birth will be. Thank you for sharing. I'll keep everyone up to date with how things are going! I'm already joining a home birth group in my town, which should give me some added support. And I am planning to take my vitals throughout the pregnancy, and keep track of nutrition (IMO the single most important aspect to a healthy pregnancy). Hope all is well with everyone else.
April 24th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I had an unassisted birth with dd. I did have some prenatal care on and off though. This time though I'm going completely unassited, no prenatal care either. Unless God leads me otherwise! If you ever want to chat, I'm here.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
April 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
This is my first baby, and I am having a home birth.. I was looking into unassisted too so I understand completely how you feel - people around you who don't understand/agree think you are crazy. Just listen to what YOU and YOUR body wants. You have do prenatal care with a midwife if you want or an OB, but I personally like midwives better.. they are more personal, and just treat you better in my experience.

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 25th, 2008, 10:01 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I planned a full UP, but ended up seeing an OB 3 times, after a PTL scare at 23 weeks. I loved being pregnant, particularly when I was managing my own care because it was so much less stressful. Really I had no idea how taxing doctors appointments can be until I started seeing the OB, it was very annoying.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

April 27th, 2008, 08:44 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board, and congrats on the baby on the way!

I did have prenatal care with my midwife, and she attended Amelia's birth...although I see nothing wrong with going completely UP/UC as long as you're taking good care of yourself, etc. And obviously, you would.

Hope you'll stick around and get to know everyone!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search