I had my first meeting with my new midwife!

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Okay first of all I'd like to say that she's wonderful, she's the most experienced on the island and she was very nice. So, yay!

She showed me what position my baby was in and we got to feel the head, even though it just felt like a hard spot. She also changed my due date from May 31st to June 3rd, based on her calculations but she said in 2 weeks when she does her internal exam she'll be able to tell if I'll go early or late. So that is exciting! She has a really low transport rate and does whatever she can to keep you at home as long as possible, which I'm very happy about. She DID seem kind of eh about my age, and some of my opinions/feelings on some topics, but I can understand that.. I just hope it doesn't become a problem!

She also said my iron was at like a 10 I believe and she said the norm should be from 11-16, so she's making me take these iron pills, which I have a problem with because I'm NOT a pill/medicine taker!!! But I have to work with her too, so I'm going to pick up what I can find at our store. She also wants me to take this other pill that is HSB or something like that, FISH OIL, she said will help the baby's brain grow right.. this just seems weird to me, how come I've never heard of it before? What do you guys think of it?

Oh, she also thought I was nuts when I said I missed eating sunny side up eggs, she said that rule that pregnant women can't have them isn't true and told me to go for it...... EH??

Also I thought I'd mention, she didn't really budge on the full amount being due before I give birth, but I did ask her, will she keep accepting payments after if we just aren't DONE yet.. and she said yes, but you could tell she didn't like that I was even asking.. I can't stress it enough that we aren't going to rip her off!! She was also really great about her appointment payments, instead of charging us $75 an hour, she is going to take $75 for the whole day, regardless of time. That goes for $65 when I start having to travel by like 6 different busses to get to her house..

Anyway I was just wondering what everyone thought.. Those were the good/bad highlights I got from it. I'm really apprehensive about taking those pills, especially that fish oil one...

Thoughts??

Oh also she about cringed when I told her I had the What to Expect... books.. I found them to be wonderful but she said she doesn't like them and won't recommend them because they are too "fear based". What do you get from this?

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 23rd, 2008, 01:58 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The fish oil is totally normal & shes right its great for brain development (among other things) its great that she tested your iron first before recommending it. Many drs give it out regardless. You can also try adding iron in your diet naturally & hopefully you wont have to take them the entire time b/c they can cause constipation which can be a problem enough on its own in Pg WITHOUT iron pills lol.

Glad you got to meet your mw & things went well.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 23rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Ah thanks! I was thinking the fish oil stuff was a little "fishy" lol. Do you know what exactly I'm looking for for it?? She didn't give me the name of any certain pill I can look for so I really have no clue..

And what do you suggest I do to get extra iron before taking that poo-blocking pill? I'll try anything!

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
One thing my midwife recommended to get some extra iron into my diets was to mix molasses with warm milk and drink it before going to bed... She said that if you like molasses it is quite yummy and it is also soothing before going to bed and full of iron!
April 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
Quote:
One thing my midwife recommended to get some extra iron into my diets was to mix molasses with warm milk and drink it before going to bed... She said that if you like molasses it is quite yummy and it is also soothing before going to bed and full of iron![/b]

What if the slightest smell of it makes you gag? I'll try but I seriously doubt I'll get much down. Or even in my cup!

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 23rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
lol then I'd recommend eating something else!!! Green veggies, red meat, etc... You can easily get lists on the internet of foods that are high on iron!
April 23rd, 2008, 06:06 PM
I'm going to do that!! I'm being told the iron pills are A MUST and I'm not cool with that, so I'm going to see if I can get around it by seriously upping my iron intake in my diet.

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 24th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
She's not going to be able to tell from an internal whether you'll go early or late. My SIL was 6 cm before she went into labor with her first 11 days late. She was 4-5 cm before her due date. They kept telling her she's go early. Her second came a day early and she was 3 cm by 36 weeks. I don't dilate before labor but that doesn't predict when I'll deliver at all. It just means I don't dilate beforehand and my SIL does. Nothing more.

Alfalfa pills are much better and more gentle than iron pills. Our bodies can't absorb much iron from the pills they prescribe and they often cause intestinal issues that are very unpleasant. Taking alfalfa during pregnancy also helps prevent post-partum hemorrhage. My midwife has me on 3 grams a day. I took it with Fritz, too. It has a nice side effect of keeping the bowels moving (as opposed to plugging them like iron pills often do) and ups the iron level of the fetus so the baby's stores are higher at birth. At 4 months Fritz had a blood test and the doctor was amazed at how incredibly high his iron level was since he was exclusive breastfed and we did not give him supplemental vitamins (this is a doctor who regularly works with breastfeeding moms - Fritz's iron level was higher than would be expected at that point and he said it was likely the alfalfa I took while pregnant).

They are actually putting DHA/what you get from taking fish oil in some prenatal vitamins and formula now because of the studies that have found it to be beneficial to brain development. I take cod liver oil in all the months with an R in them so September through April (it's what the indigenous cultures who take fish oil do) when I'm not pregnant and then the whole time I am pregnant. It is very good stuff. She's totally right on about that.

Most midwives do not subscribe to the list of don't eat them foods. Eating sunnyside up eggs is perfectly fine.

The What to Expect books are extremely fear-based and really not good for pregnant women to read. I advise strongly against reading them. WTEWYE was an excellent read as a nursing student, however, because let's face it, the nurse only has to do something if something is going wrong or being managed and they cover those things that might but pretty much never go wrong very well in that book. For the vast majority of births, particularly home births there's nothing much to do and those books will often just make the mom worry about the what ifs.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 24th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Heather I'm so glad you had a good appt! I agree with Butter, the only thing that sounds strange is her telling you if you'd go early or not. I was dilated 2-3, then 4-5cm for WEEKS before I had Ele. You just never know.

I didn't want to say in our messages, but I HATE the What to Expect books. They are just, well, yucky.

Butter, does flax do the same as fish oil in all respects? Or just some? I really dislike fish oil, so I take flax (started back when I was a vegetarian).

I would definitely do the alfalfa too, and maybe even some Nettle. Nettle has lots of Vitamin k in it and it helps you absorb iron too. You probably won't find them at a grocery store, but you should be able to find them at a health food store.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
April 24th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Flax has some of the same properties and is certainly better than nothing, but all the evidence points to fish oil being the better choice. They are both good fats and both omega-3's, but flax's main one is ALA while fish oil's main two are DHA and EPA. The main studies have been on brains and hearts and it's the DHA and EPA that are most important for those organs. The question as to whether just flax is good enough comes from ALA being able to be converted by most healthy bodies into DHA and EPA. The problem is it doesn't happen in everyone so depending on the person flax may or may not be basically equal to fish oil. Also, if your body needs ALA for any reason it will use it without converting it to DHA.

Smaller on the Outside

April 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
one more saying the what to expect books are terrible...
glad it was a good appointment!
April 24th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Butter, what exactly is the "alfalfa" stuff called? I need specific names or I will never find it myself.. I want to try to pick some of that up too perhaps. My midwife said she's going to pick up some liquid iron for me so I can just stick it in something and drink it, I was also told by someone that liquid forms don't bunch up your innerds.

And I don't mean she will be able to tell me exactly, but I trust her experience and expertise to be able to look and get an idea of, well gee this girl is going to be early or hmm no I think she'll go late.. Not like she's giving me a date and holding bets or anything

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 24th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Seriously they can't tell if you are going to go early or late. They can only tell you if you are dilating or effacing, nothing more. No amount of expertise will give them that ability. Just like one person can be 3 cm weeks before their due date and go over, another can be high hard and closed and have their baby early. There is truly no way to predict. And I actually think it does a disservice to women to pretend they can tell. Too often they'll say you are dilated to 4 so you are definitely going early. It's a blow to morale then when the due date comes and goes. Happens all the time.

Alfalfa is called alfalfa. That's it's name. Here's a link with some of one brand: alfalfa

Smaller on the Outside

April 24th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I just think it's interesting, I go when I go obviously.

How big are those pills? Are they tablets or are they gel capsule or what?

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 24th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Yes lol You can get them either way and size depends on how many mg each you get. I personally take six 500 mg capsules. They are smaller than a typical multivitamin. I've seen 1000 mg tablets and those are huge.

Smaller on the Outside

April 24th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I have such a hard time with pills, what is the smallest mg I can look for that will still do the trick?

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 25th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I've never seen less than 405 mg. My midwife says you need 3 GRAMS a day (which is why I take six 500 mg ones). You can drink alfalfa tea, but it's not as effective and you'd have to drink a ton.

Smaller on the Outside

April 25th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Thats the brand of alfalfa and nettle I like. They are pretty easy to swallow (dh and I both hate swallowing things too). They are just the gelatin type capsule with the alfalfa inside. I just measured my nettle, its 3/4" long and 1/4" in diameter (wide).

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
April 25th, 2008, 07:52 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto on the Alfalfa & nettle. THey are natural supplements, and mine were fairly small b/c I gag on big ones (esp early in my pg). I also ate a lot of red meat to help with Iron. IF you have an iron skillet, just cooking your food in it will ehlp (if you dont have one, get one! theyre great).

I took 6 alfalfa & 6 nettle a day. I carried around a box & just popped them throughout the day. No big deal. One here, 2 there, etc.

You can also get them in tea form, but I didnt care for them as a tea, I preferred the small capsules. I also did the 500 mg ones so thats why I took 6 a day.

And another big hater of the what to expect series. They are very fear based, and will have you worried over a million things that arent even necessary. THey also contain a lot of misinformation. THere are many other books that are so much better.

The Bradley Childbirth book is great, it explains whats going on, labor, etc.

Also for the more natural minded mom - "The thinking womans guide to a better birth".

OF course, the bradley one is more focused on pg AND birth.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 27th, 2008, 08:41 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so far behind and playing catch-up...sorry I didn't see this sooner. Glad you like the midwife, and I hope everything goes smoothly from now on!

I took fish oil and alfalfa too...I wish I'd known there are smaller alfalfa tablets out there, mine are HUGE and horrible. I had to choke them down every day. Hopefully you find something better. Our pediatrician recommended keeping up the fish oil while breastfeeding too, so I still take those.

Another ditto on the What To Expect book, and second the suggestion of The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. LOVE that one!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search