How soon are you calling family/friends?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
With ds it was a constant stream it seemed like. I even met one of dh's aunts I'd NEVER seen before when she showed up at the hospital a few hours after ds's birth wanting to hold him "Hi, my name is Linda, I want to hold your baby". And I seriously haven't seen her since! My cousin came, my granny (who didn't like me anyways), my aunt, etc. Then at the house (we lived with my parents) it was even worse! Every time I tried to lay down someone else would show up...my parents' friends and neighbors, dh and I didn't really have any friends. It sucked. I think I only held my son for the first few days when he was eating. Thank goodness he was a slow nurser and took an hour!

With dd we had moved out of state for dh's work, so only my mom was here for it (she had flown up a week before). My dad flew up a few days later. We didn't have any friends here so we only had to deal with them.

This time, my parents should be in AZ (we're in OR), so we won't have to share the baby with anyone! Hehe...I'm so excited! We are lame and still don't have any friends.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
April 25th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
For people who could/would come visit, before the baby is born lol I'm one of those that likes to be surrounded by supportive people while I am in labor/giving birth. I have one local friend who we'd let know the baby was born and I was at her homebirth in December and hopefully she'll be available to come to mine when I go into labor. Some time after the baby is born I'll call my other friend (she lives 2000 miles away). As for family, my parents and aunt and cousin are planning to be there and possibly my sister. My brother's family lives 1,000 miles away. We'll tell them some time after the baby is here. My MIL lives in Ireland so depending on time (since we're EST and she's GMT) we'll let her know the baby arrived some time after he's here. Other than that there's no one in our family to really notify. They'll eventually get the message that he's here.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 25th, 2008, 09:51 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
Well with dd, DH called my aunt when I wnet in labour and she basically contacted anyone of any importance... lol... The only people who made it to the hospital in time was my sister and her now DH (was her boyfriend at the time) I opted for early release and I was already at home by the time my dad showed up to the hospital... My mom and dad showed up at our house in the morning...

This time around I don't think we will call anyone until after the baby is born... My sister lives 1 hour away and has no method of transportation... and since I don't think I'll feel like sending DH over there to pick her up, I'm thinking we won't have any visitors... Maybe my dad will show up.. I don't know...
April 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, if they were supposed to be at the birth, we called them when we were sure I was in active labor.

Otherwise, the only people we called that day were my grandparents (out of state) and my mom (out of state).

Everyone else heard through the grapevine & we opened the door to any visitors afterwards. Oh - DH called his mom & sister & brother that day, and when they asked about coming by he just todl them wed start accepting visitors the next morning since we needed some sleep.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 25th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
With my first birth (it was in the hospital) everyone told eachother and the second I had the baby it seemed like my room was full of people. I didn't allow anyone in there during the birth though, just James. I did not like it at all.

So this time I was at my parents house when my water broke so they new I was in labor. I called my sister because she was supposed to be there, so she could come over. And we didn't tell anyone else until a few hours after the birth.

I will do it the same way next time. I liked no one knowing. Especially because a few people were pretty scared about me birthing at home.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

April 25th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Quote:
With my first birth (it was in the hospital) everyone told eachother and the second I had the baby it seemed like my room was full of people. I didn't allow anyone in there during the birth though, just James. I did not like it at all.

So this time I was at my parents house when my water broke so they new I was in labor. I called my sister because she was supposed to be there, so she could come over. And we didn't tell anyone else until a few hours after the birth.

I will do it the same way next time. I liked no one knowing. Especially because a few people were pretty scared about me birthing at home.[/b]
How funny, with ds my water broke at MIL's house and she beat us to the hospital! She's the one who brought the aunt I'd never met too. And I think my parents called everyone in the valley. Yuck. I'm so looking forward to ONLY dh and the kids and I this time!

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
April 25th, 2008, 03:56 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Well since moving to Hawaii, we're lame too and don't have friends! lol. His parents are coming out here and a friend or two of mine later on but that's about it. And if it were up to me his parents wouldn't be coming.. I don't want them demanding to hold my baby!

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 25th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
Quote:
Quote:

I will do it the same way next time. I liked no one knowing. Especially because a few people were pretty scared about me birthing at home.[/b]
How funny, with ds my water broke at MIL's house and she beat us to the hospital! She's the one who brought the aunt I'd never met too. And I think my parents called everyone in the valley. Yuck. I'm so looking forward to ONLY dh and the kids and I this time!
[/b]
I loved having my baby at home because I could lock my door LOL, I wasn't going to let anyone in, luckily my parents didn't tell anyone so no one showed up until later that night.

I didn't get to nurse my first daughter for a little while, because everyone wanted to hold her, and I was embaressed to nurse with so many people there. Finally the nurses kicked everyone out (i had her around 9pm) so I could feed her, we had problems in the begining with nursing. I am not sure if it was because of me waiting or because of the pain meds I got.

This time I nursed my baby right away and she was and is a great nurser. I loved having a few hours to myself. I hope you enjoy your time alone with your family and new baby.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

April 26th, 2008, 02:07 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If someone is going to be with us we will call them when i am in labor. Otherwise we will not call anyone for a few hours after delivery. I want me, DH, baby to have a few hours to ourselves just to bond and work on breastfeeding.
April 26th, 2008, 09:24 PM
4boys
Reid was born at 5:30 pm, which was great. The only people we called were the neighbours (DH's brother and wife) because they were so close and had babysat the kids for us, and my parents who had the kids when Reid was born and they knew I was in labor. Other than that, we didn't phone anyone until the next day at noon. It was great. We used the excuse that we hadn't picked a name yet so we didn't want to call people until we had. And we took a LONG time deciding!!!! But I liked it that way. There is something special to me about having that first half day or even a few hours to just be by yourselves and not tell anyone.
April 27th, 2008, 12:14 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I want us to wait almost a whole day before calling anyone. I just want us to focus on us and not be on the phone the entire time.
April 27th, 2008, 08:51 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, it's weird how ours worked out...not exactly how I'd planned it. I was still laboring in the pool when Rachael woke up around 6:30 a.m. Our plan had been for my in-laws to come and get Rachael if I went into labor while she was awake, so DH called them immediately to come and get her...only, Amelia arrived at 7:04. They showed up just a few minutes after she arrived - I was wet and naked in a chair in the living room, hadn't even delivered the placenta yet. So they had to wait outside for a bit until we all moved the party upstairs!

Likewise, a friend was coming to pick Rachael up at 9 that day (it was a Saturday) to take her to a birthday party, so she showed up and got to meet Amelia before I probably would've called her otherwise.

I called my parents as soon as I got showered and settled into bed with the baby. Mom WOULD have been the first to know, if things had worked a little differently...but I definitely planned on calling them all shortly after she arrived.
April 28th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Kate was born at 1:48am... My mom called about an hour or so later (she knew I was in labor and was calling to check on us). She lives about 5 hours away, so she planned on coming down later that day (and she did, and was here in time for dinner). We called my inlaws around 6am. We actually invited my MIL to come over that morning to help with the girls, both Paul and I were exhausted and really needed help with Lily and Julia.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search