What to expect?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first appointment with my home birth midwife is on May 6th. My last pregnancy, I had the straight OB who was the chief of their office. So I was tossed around to the rest of the doctors as well.

I'm curious as to what I should expect? When we had our consultation with her on the 22nd, it was an hour long. She said our prenatal appointments would be an hour long as well. Which is fine with me. I just never have been this route before. I am used to the sterile environment of a doctors office compared to her office in her house downtown.

She gave me an idea of what it would be like. I've got a great feeling it will be calm and less stressed as my other doctor visits. Any helpful insight would be wonderful

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
April 29th, 2008, 03:50 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
It will probably be very calm and relaxed. I was really nervous to meet my midwife but then she got here and she didn't start off with "business", she asked a lot about ME and our chinchillas and just seemed to be interested in _me_. When she started asking the 'real' questions we were comfortable and it went very smoothly. I think it will be even better for you, being so early off in your pregnancy. I got a really late start so I think things may be a little rushed. Just don't be afraid to be frank with her. If there's anything you don't like or don't get, speak up! I should practice what I preach, but it's hard for me. If you start out asking her a lot of questions it would probably be easier.

I hope your experience is everything you want it to be!

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Quote:
It will probably be very calm and relaxed. I was really nervous to meet my midwife but then she got here and she didn't start off with "business", she asked a lot about ME and our chinchillas and just seemed to be interested in _me_. When she started asking the 'real' questions we were comfortable and it went very smoothly. I think it will be even better for you, being so early off in your pregnancy. I got a really late start so I think things may be a little rushed. Just don't be afraid to be frank with her. If there's anything you don't like or don't get, speak up! I should practice what I preach, but it's hard for me. If you start out asking her a lot of questions it would probably be easier.

I hope your experience is everything you want it to be![/b]
I have no problem telling it how it is haha. She gave us a brief idea what the appointments would be like when we met her on the 22nd. She'll do the usual urine check, weight check, check my uterus size and such. Then we'll just talk. Basically a I get to know her and she gets to know us.

I'm nervous haha. Not like I was when we first met her. Thanks I know I won't have any problems asking any questions or saying my feelings. One of the OB's with my last pregnancy didn't like that quality of me.

Killian's Birth Story
April 30th, 2008, 04:17 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Of course they didn't! It's good that you have no problems telling things how they are though haha. I usually don't either but when I'm totally out of my league I tend to just shut up and take anything! Not good, I know..

I think the 'get to know you' appointments are the best, when you can BOTH act like human beings and friends vs. midwife and "employer". Even though, the midwife usually acts like the employer in most cases lol. Kinda funny!

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
May 4th, 2008, 10:59 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just speaking from my personal experience, of course, but - midwife visits are WONDERFUL! All of ours were very laid back - like visiting a friend that poked around on my belly. She never even checked my weight - I did that and reported to her. So it was urine test and fundal height at every visit, and a lot of sitting around talking. Oh, and listening to baby's heartbeat, after twelve weeks.

My biggest 'issue' (if you even want to call it that) with having a midwife was that by the time my due date was near, I was afraid it would be weird to have her checking me and whatnot because I considered her a friend! Of course, in the midst of labor, it wasn't as awkward as I'd imagined.
May 5th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Quote:
My biggest 'issue' (if you even want to call it that) with having a midwife was that by the time my due date was near, I was afraid it would be weird to have her checking me and whatnot because I considered her a friend! Of course, in the midst of labor, it wasn't as awkward as I'd imagined. [/b]

I felt the SAME exact way!!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
May 5th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Oh I know what you mean about the friend! She is so very warm and inviting that I know our appointments will be great. I'm sure I'll get over the friend status come time to push haha. I should also apologize if I get a bit '######y' while in labor. But then again, she has 7 months to catch me on a bad day.

I'm more nervous for our appointment tomorrow. I had a bad week health wise (gallbladder and gallstones) so my concern has been 100% baby. I hope all is well.

I'll let you know how it goes! Tomorrow is a DiTL (day in the life) and I'm considering doing one just for the occasion

Killian's Birth Story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search