Midwife Hopsital Transfer Rate

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
littlebabydolly
What was your midwife's hospital transfer rate? I interviewed one already and she said 15-20%. That seemed high to me for some reason. She still said only 3% c-section rate... but still. Is this a pretty average rate?
May 2nd, 2008, 12:15 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Mine's just over 5%. The midwife who delivered Cameron had a 3% transfer rate. That rate does sound high, but the population of women she's delivering makes a difference. The midwife who delivered Cameron delivered 80% Amish women and drugs don't even enter into their thinking. The more first time moms a midwife delivers the higher her transfer rate will be. A lot of midwives find that a good number of their transfers are women who change their minds and decide they want drugs.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 2nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
mine has an 8% transfer rate, and even volunteered the breakdown for who transfered for what...the vast majority of transfers are first time moms who change their minds, like butter said.
20 % seems a bit high to me.
oh, and included in her transfer rate are post-birth transfers...the other three i interviewed did not include those...
May 2nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
twiceinabluemoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I interviewed my midwife she hadn't had any transfers. But she admitted it was artificially low because she hadn't been practicing midwifery very long. I believe she had at least one transfer during my pregnancy.

My midwives with my other babies seemed to have about 5-10% transfer rates and mostly for 1st time moms wanting medication.

I'll Cry if I Want to / My Photography Blog </div>
May 2nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree it does seem high - I would ask for a breakdown.

It coudl easily have to do with strict state guidelines - I know the MW here had a 10% transport rate overall, but it was 20% for first time moms. Too often they risked out - the state enforces timelines for everything right down to how long you can labor with your water broken, etc.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 4th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My midwives have a 6% transfer rate, all but 1-2% are for non-emergency situations, like a long labor and the mom wanting medications. According to my midwives, they have a 1-2% transfer rate for emergency situations, most commonly being hemorrhaging mommies, or breathing difficulties with the infant.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
May 7th, 2008, 06:24 PM
littlebabydolly
Thank you ladies for all your responses! I ended up finding a midwife with a lower rate. Somehow I felt that the higher rate meant that they didn't help put you in the mindset that you can really do this! The lady I choose seemed much more confidant about natural unmedicated birth as well as lots of experience with different birth presentations if that so happens.

I did interview another lady today too that also said that the transfer rate was mostly for pain meds but also because a lot of women over 40 are being attracted to home birth now making statistics a little different for their cases.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search