..But what if something happens?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I knew I would run into this, and in the time that I've been researching and considering a home birth, I've tried to think of a good response to this question. In my mind, from what I know, I have no doubt I will be in good hands with a midwife. If something happens, a sudden emergency, I have confidence that my midwife will be able to diagnose that there is a problem and take quick action to be sure both me and the baby make it through the delivery healthy and safe. Unfortunately, that is the first thing that everyone says when mentioning a home birth. "What if there is an emergency?" I can run over the many different answers in my head, starting with midwives will be sure you are having an uncomplicated, healthy pregnancy, I always have the option to switch if I feel my midwife isn't diagnosing problems (doubtful that would happen though), and in labor, help is only a phone call away. I also know midwives carry plenty of equipement with them to use if needed and are very well trained, many started as OB nurses or have worked in hospitals prior to training in midwifery.
Am I on track here? How do you respond to that question? Unfortunately, I will still have those that completely doubt me and the whole process, which I will have to have a thick skin about (I have had to in every other aspect of my parenting). I just want to be able to respond in a way that will help people understand that the whole process is far from "dangerous".

Expecting baby #4!

May 6th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
"That's what hospitals are for."

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just said that I had the utmost confidence that my midwife would take excellent care of both me and the baby.

May 6th, 2008, 06:22 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
"That's what hospitals are for."[/b]
That has been my response for everyone who questioned our choice of a home birth.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
May 6th, 2008, 11:03 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My best response is "like what?" because it opens the door to educate, and to show that you know your stuff. It's how I started with my mom who ended up being my biggest supporter.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

May 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Quote:
My best response is "like what?" because it opens the door to educate, and to show that you know your stuff. It's how I started with my mom who ended up being my biggest supporter.[/b]
ITA...although my mom is NOT my biggest supporter.

What would happen if you went into labor in the middle of a terrible snowstorm and NO one could come or go? Mom and baby don't automatically die just because delivery takes place at home, kwim? I hate it when people that don't know what they are talking about try to talk an educated person out of their educated decision.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
May 7th, 2008, 05:45 PM
littlebabydolly
Short of a surgeons table and knife, midwifes are incredibly prepared. I wasn't even fully aware how prepared they are going into this journey to home birth. They carry IV's, oxygen, tubes to help breathing, pictocin for hemorrhaging, suturing supplies and are fully trained in resuscitation. One of the midwifes I interviewed even gave me an article on the safety of home birth to give to family members with questions. It looks like it's an article from Henri Goer and there is a url at the bottom, www.parentsplace.com/expert/birthguru ... so maybe you can find this article to print out too!
May 7th, 2008, 08:57 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here's my favorite article for ya:

But What If...?

May 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I can't get the first article to come up, the other one is great, thanks mama!

Expecting baby #4!

May 13th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I never got to homebirth with my kiddos like I wanted, but I had planned on it for both of them.

I always used: "I don't call an ambulance on my way out the door whenever I leave the house, 'in case something happens'... "

That usually gets them to think a little more about what they just said.

May 14th, 2008, 06:55 AM
*threesweetpeas*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would love to have a home birth...this is all really interesting stuff...I was always curious to know "What if" myself ....

~Homeschooling ,Breastfeeding, Sleep Sharing Mama!!~

Jasmine
May 14th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Super Mommy
My answer is simple, if there is an emergency that can't be handled at home, we call 911 and go to a hospital. That's the only way I end up in one.

Earn free Amazon gift cards with SWAGBUCKS!

May 16th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Melui's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my last pregnancy (in england) my midwife actually suggested homebirth to me - as my labours are very short and it would be safer to have midwife coming to me with equipment - than me tryting to find childcare, get myself into hospital etc and end up having baby parked on the road?
Also in england a home birth means you have 2 midwives at your house (1 for you and 1 for baby) - in hospital you might have 1 midwife overseeing 3 or more labouring women in seperate rooms so having dedicated midwives for you must be safer? (i know its different over here).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search