Induction at 42 weeks

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2008, 02:27 PM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
I talked to my midwife briefly about this. She seemed to not want to talk about it at this point because I am so early on and who knows if I will go overdue. I pressed the issue a bit, and she simply walked me through what would happen if I went overdue (or if I decided to or need to be transfered to the hospital during labor) Who would be there as support, and how post-partum care would go. I love my midwife. She is great, and I trust her a lot, but I also understand that she is bound by certain laws that allow her to practice.

I was induced at 41 weeks with DD, and had a horrible experience. I do not want to be induced, and I do not want a hospital birth unless absolutely necessary - meaning something is life-threatening.

I am worried that I will go overdue again, and short of natural induction methods - which I will give a try once I hit 40 weeks - I am not sure how to avoid being induced. If I refuse to be induced will my midwife still be legally allowed to deliver me at home? I am open to an unassisted home birth, but DF is wary about it and would likely want me to be induced instead of doing that. I might be able to change his mind, but I'm not counting on that.

I plan on talking to my midwife about this in more depth at my next appointment.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or personal experiences?

May 6th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
At this point I wouldn't stress. They induced you one day before the AVERAGE for first time moms. If they had given you a few more days chances are very good you would have delivered just fine on your own. I went over by 10 days with Fritz (my third, and latest) and my midwife was very supportive and everything and told me that 99% of her moms deliver before the 42 week mark and those that don't just need extra time. My midwife is also willing to fudge dates

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 6th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a home birth at 42w 3d, my water finally broke on its own. I also asked what would happen if I went past 42 weeks at our initial meeting and she went over her protocol which included a biophysical profile to check on the baby and placenta every few days after the 42 week mark. I had my first three children in the hospital (all induced) so I was worried about what would happen if I didn't go into labor on my own. I think your plan is a good one, talk to her in depth about what happens after 42 weeks and I bet you will feel a lot more at ease.
May 8th, 2008, 11:16 AM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
Thanks ladies. Heather, I think my midwife might be willing to fudge my dates a bit if it comes to that, but I doubt that is something she would come right out with and say at our first meeting. Heh..

I am still concerned about it, but I'm going to try to put it in the back of my mind for a while. After all, I could be worrying for nothing. I'm just dreading the thought of another hospital birth, and even worse, a hospital birth with an OB who I have never met before in my life. Ugh.

May 8th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
You could look into accupuncture if the time comes. I know a lot of women swear by it. But definitely don't worry too much about it just yet.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
May 19th, 2008, 07:22 PM
4boys
You sound exactly like me a few months ago!! I was also induced past 42 weeks with my third son and had a terrible experience, one that I desperately wanted to avoid with my fourth. And by law where I am, I couldn't have a home birth if I went past 42 weeks. So I was really stressing about it. During my last month of pregnancy, I drank a pot of raspberry leaf tea every day, took 4 evening primrose oil capsules a day (I upped it to 6 a day for the last two weeks), kept up with exercise 3 times a week and avoided sugar as much as possible. At 40 weeks + 4 days I was having lots of irregular Braxton Hicks contractions and so I took 1 tbsp of castor oil to "see what happens". I woke up with contractions that night and had my baby the next day. I don't know what to credit with that success; probably mostly the evening primrose oil, but I was determined to do everything I could to encourage my body to do it's thing, and it worked!

Good luck, I hope things work out for you!! And I totally understand you worrying about it already; I worried about it from day one as well!
May 20th, 2008, 01:48 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
This was my biggest fear with a home birth. I was also induced at 41 weeks with my first two births (which i now think was not necessary). I also started drinking the raspberry leaf tea around 36 weeks and around 38 weeks I started the evening primrose oil (orally and vaginally). I walked a lot and DH and I got real close at the end . Blake was born at 40 wks, 5 days. Good luck and try not to stress about it!!!

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
May 21st, 2008, 04:21 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
going "late' with one doesn't mean the next will be late my first came at 41w1d and my second came right on her due date.

I'd definitely wager that you would have done just fine and gone into labor within a few days had they not induced you.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 21st, 2008, 06:44 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck, sweetie. I was getting terribly nervous as week 42 approached with my second DD, as I had been induced - a rotten experience - with my first. I had tried castor oil at 40 weeks with my first and it didn't work, so I hesitated to try it again...but I did, at 41w 4d, and it got things moving in a hurry. I had been drinking raspberry leaf tea and taking EPO as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search