Considering a homebirth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
I've been seeing an OB and I'm not pleased with him. I've wanted a natural birth (water birth) from the beginning but I know that a hospital is not the best place to achieve that goal. Last week I talked with a midwife, and if insurance covers a little I may be able to afford her but not the birth center. Home seems like such a comfortable place. I'm not sure if I can get DH oh board with the idea. I'm weighing the pro's and con's in my head. A lot of women I've talked to say I am nuts because this is my first pregnancy and I don't know what to expect, anything can happen. What are the chances of hemorrhaging and blood loss? Pain doesn't scare me. That's the only thing that really scares me, what if something goes wrong. But when I imagine myself giving birth in a hospital on my back with a doctor I don't trust, being cut open, everything inside me says "NO".

Have any of you ever had a home birth with your first baby?

May 25th, 2008, 10:53 PM
JackieRose's Avatar Member
Although I still haven't given birth, I am in the same boat as you. This is my first pregnancy and I decided right away that I wanted to do a water birth. My husband was not so sure of it since it's definitely not the "norm" and he seemed a bit iffy at first, he agreed to a home birth with a midwife as long as I get shadow care from a dr.
So far, every appt I have had with the dr has lasted maybe 5 min (not including wait time, of course) and has been verryy impersonal and definitely NOT what I think a birthing experience should be (in my opinion). I have hated the care so far and not because they are doing anything "wrong" it's just not right for me. The midwife I am using is great and spends at least an hour with me at every appt and I can call her with any questions and email her at any time, she is just great!

As for the complications and how I feel about it. I think most midwives would not let you have a home birth if at ANY time you show major complications throughout the pregnancy. My midwife will only assist you if you are having a normal, low-risk pregnancy. As for complications that can happen during labor...midwives are trained to deal with MOST common complications (breech birth,cord around neck,hem.,etc) but it is always good to ask your midwife what complications she has dealt with and how she deals with them (what methods she uses, is she strictly natural or does she use medicine). My midwife will always try the natural method first but will not hesitate to use medicine if the situation arises and if my body is not responding to the herbs or whichever natural method she is using. Most midwives will transport you to a hospital at any time if you so choose or if you/your baby's lives are at risk. My midwife says that the only reason she has ever had to transport to hospital has been at the last minute request of a mother and baby's heart rate was getting low and she was not able to raise it. She did say that those situations have rarely occurred.

Plus, I'm a big believer that the whole stressful hospital environment can be a huge factor in how your labor goes. I mean, stress is not good, especially for the baby!

I dont know if this is much help for you and I'm sorry it is so long (i can't ever seem to type short responses).
if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will help you with as much as I know

Plus, on a good comforting note, they say that there is no safer place to have your baby than in your own home. Happy, Healthy babies come from home!! (they can come from hospitals too, dont get me wrong haha)

<span style="color:#4B0082"><div align="center">Waiting for my baby girl to come, August 30th!!</div></span>
<div align="center"></div>
May 26th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks Jackie. I feel the same way about my doctor appointments. They do what they have to do and then I'm out of there. Sometimes they even forget to do some things It's not personal, it feels rushed. That's my main concern is that the doctor will also try to rush the delivery. I keep telling him I want a natural birth, no drugs, and he keeps trying to talk me into the epi it seems like. The midwife I met with was warm, friendly, and she spent a lot of time with me. I really like her and I hope it works out to where I can switch to her. Since this is my FIRST birth, and I want it to be natural I just don't think I can accomplish that goal without some support and I'm not getting that from my doctor. Home is sounding better and better to me.

Thanks for your support. It's nice to know there are other home birth newbies like me.

May 26th, 2008, 08:43 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I think you are very wise to seek homebirth for your first.

So many women (including me) find homebirth after a less than ideal birth. If I (and many others) had sought out homebirth first chances are I wouldn't have had that less than ideal experience.

Midwives are trained in NORMAL birth, they will detect variations from normal and will know that "something is up".

May 26th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Midwives are trained in NORMAL birth, they will detect variations from normal and will know that "something is up".[/b]
This is what I feel is so important for us to remember. Midwives are usually able to detect before the birth if something is wrong with baby or mama and either deal with it or transfer care. Even if they discover it during labor they usually have enough time to transfer (especially with first births, since labor is usually longer). And if the problem arises after birth there is always 911.

I plan to have my first child at home in August. I rather not have to go through a less than ideal or even traumatic birth experience the first time around just to prove to naysayers that my body is capable of giving birth. I have know since before we began ttc that a homebirth is what I want.

Earn free Amazon gift cards with SWAGBUCKS!

May 26th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I wish I would have had my first at home. I had a bad hospital experience.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

May 26th, 2008, 11:30 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board! There are some good stickies here about convincing DH and the "what if"s...and of course, as already stated here, midwives are well trained and will take good care of you. If something arises that they can't handle, they WILL make sure you're well taken care of.

I SO, SO wish I had had a home birth with my first. There's just no comparison between my two birth experiences - and given the choice, I'd never have another baby anywhere *but* home.

Looking forward to hearing about your journey!
May 30th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Quote:
I think you are very wise to seek homebirth for your first.

So many women (including me) find homebirth after a less than ideal birth. If I (and many others) had sought out homebirth first chances are I wouldn't have had that less than ideal experience.

Midwives are trained in NORMAL birth, they will detect variations from normal and will know that "something is up".[/b]

I wish I would have stayed home with ds...he would have been a lot safer I think.

Get a good book to read (I like "Active Birth" by Janet Balaskas and "The Complete Guide To Pregnancy & Childbirth" by Sheila Kitzinger, and my friend recommends "Heart & Hands: A Midwife's Guide to Pregnancy & Birth" by Elizabeth Davis-I'm getting that one next).

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search