planned unassisted home births

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2008, 12:49 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
Yesterday DH's brother and his wife were here with their newborn. She was saying that she wants to try a VBAC next time, and was considering a home birth because she doesn't know if her doctor will do VBAC. Out of no where DH (who for the longest time said I was crazy for wanting a home birth) announces that we are probably going to have an unassisted home birth. I couldn't believe it, but I am thrilled with the idea. I just was curious about what you all did throughout your pregnancy.

Did you see a doctor/midwife for prenatal card or just not get regular appointments?
Did you have an ultrasound? Who ordered it if you did?
Did you have a doppler that you used at home?
What about GD screening?

Sorry if any of these questions are stupid ones. Just haven't done much research into unassisted birth at this point because I didn't think DH would EVER agree to it!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
May 28th, 2008, 07:31 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Quote:
Did you see a doctor/midwife for prenatal card or just not get regular appointments?
Did you have an ultrasound? Who ordered it if you did?
Did you have a doppler that you used at home?
What about GD screening?[/b]

I do see a Dr for prenatal care, a GP, not an OB. She knows I am planning an unassisted birth.
With my 4th (1st unassisted) I did the same, saw my GP.
I do have one u/s, to appease my husband, my GP orders it.
I do have access to a doppler to use at home, but more than likely will not use it, I didn't last time either, saw no need.
I have never had a GD test, not even with my first birth when I saw an OB for care.

May 28th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks for your reply Brandy. Do you recommend buying a birth kit LIKE THIS or did you just use common household items for tying off and cutting the cord and such? I've heard people recommend both ways, and not sure what all I'll need to have when the time comes.

We had discussed seeing our family doctor throughout the pregnancy and just being very honest with him about having an unassisted home birth from the beginning. (so that he doesn't question why I'm not seeing an OB/GYN). I think that will work out for us. I think DH and I both kind of want an ultrasound done (once I get pregnant of course) and I wonder about the GD screening. I was borderline both times before according to my doctor, but I also don't think the test was accurate. I got physically sick during the test BOTH times in the past. I thought that made the test invalid.

Are there risks to having UC at home if you have GD other than just the fact that the baby can be a larger baby? (still in research mode here as you can see. lol)

May 28th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Get the book Active Birth by Janet Balaskas...she takes care of the big baby problem in my eyes by positioning. Laying flat on your back like in the hospital is so dumb (unless thats what your body is telling you) and really makes big babies a problem, but moving around and being upright during labor and birth really reduces the risks.

That said, we had a planned UC with dd. We did have some prenatal care off and on (OB through 13 weeks, MW from 28-39 weeks). We did have an u/s with her. This time though, we are not having any prenatal care (aside from monitoring myself). We won't be having an u/s either. But I did just buy a doppler today.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
May 28th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks! I'll have to find that book. Size does concern me a small degree. My first two were only 6 lbs. 4 oz. and 7lbs. 11 oz. my ex and I were both small too though. (Both around 6 lbs. 8 oz.) DH was a BIG baby. Nearly 11 pounds. His brother was big too. However, I was once told that I had a obstetricians dream pelvis. Wasn't sure at the time if that was an insult or a compliment, but I was only 17 too. lol The doctor who delivered my son also assured me I would likely NEVER have a problem with natural childbirth, so I'm not too concerned. Just trying to make sure I have all my little duckies in a row in case of an emergency. There is a hospital just a few blocks away, but they don't normally do deliveries...not sure I'd be much better off there than at home. lol The nearest L&D is about an hours drive away which does make me a bit nervous, but I trust my body and really believe a L&D unit isn't going to be necessary.

Now if I can just get pregnant again!

May 29th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Anyka's Avatar Regular
Send a message via AIM to Anyka
I'm not pregnant...just looking around on here. My daughter Ava is 3 and we had an unassisted home birth. I went to a mid-wife my first 21 weeks since Ava was my first we wanted to make sure all was well. When things were looking good we stopped going. We never had an ultrasound but we did have a doppler that we used at home.

June 2nd, 2008, 06:31 AM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did you see a doctor/midwife for prenatal card or just not get regular appointments? I started off doing UP and so far I have seen a MW 4 times. I have an appt tomorrow and that will be my last appt until maybe 36 weeks or so. I will do one last appt to make sure all is well.

Did you have an ultrasound? Who ordered it if you did? I got an ultrasound at the OB office and the school I was attending did free U/S.

Did you have a doppler that you used at home? I have a fetoscope.

What about GD screening? I know that I'm not really at risk for GD so I don't worry about the screening but since I was at the office for a sick visit I went ahead and had it done.

June 2nd, 2008, 07:43 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So glad DH is on board with you now!

I didn't have an unassisted birth, but our situation was a little different...my primary midwife was still a student, and couldn't order ultrasounds yet. I stressed over that something awful before finally finding a perinatal clinic (associated with Duke University) that would do independent diagnostic ultrasounds. So that's the route we went there. And I did purchase my own doppler for use at home.

As for prenatal and GD test, my midwife handled that, so I'm no help there.

Best of luck to you!
June 3rd, 2008, 05:26 AM
Thanks for all the responses ladies! We're doing lots of research, and really hopeful that we just might get a BFP soon. Hopefully by this time next year I will have experienced my first home birth!

June 3rd, 2008, 08:02 AM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
jumping in on the gd thing, although i'm seeing a midwife...my family history puts me at high risk of developing diabetes, but i don't think the gtt is a valid test. my midwife has done a fingerstick glucose check at each appointment instead. after one high reading, she sent me home with a glucometer and i checked my own three to four times daily for about a week. (things look fine, btw.) but you can look for free meters online, or the onetouch ultramini is only twenty bucks- it's the one i have. if you are going to see your gp, you can ask him to write you a script for the test strips, because those are what get expensive. anyway, i think it's way more accurate to do random checks on your own normal diet anyway. hth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search