dealing with pain ...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2008, 01:04 PM
booboobunny's Avatar mzdee
i figure since we all are planning a homebirth that would mean all natural without med's . What will you do for pain management ? i had a hard labor with my DD. i was in labor for 21+. i did a lil bit of walking and stayed in my massage chair. The vibration from the massage chair worked wonders. But in the end i still got an epidural. Please share some tips on what you did or plan to do that may help with pain during labor ?

Me - Daynuh

May 28th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
water was my biggest help, I had a water birth

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

May 28th, 2008, 09:48 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I gave birth in water. My first was a hard but quick labor (9 1/2 hours) that ended with an epidural. I had horrible back labor.

The second time, I got in the tub as soon as I knew I was far enough along that it wouldnt stall things. I still had back labor, though not as bad, and as long as I stayed either upright (and leaned over) or on my hands & knees it was at least tolerable. Sitting back or laying down was excruciating though.

All in all - Id say water & just plain sucking it up & yelling (ok, LOUDLY moaning lol).

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 29th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Bradley breathing, low moaning through the contractions, and whatever else seemed right at the time.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 30th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Staying upright did the most for me with dd (not an option with ds in the hospital though-so I ended up with an epi). I plan on being upright again for labor and delivery.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
May 30th, 2008, 06:42 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have fairly quick labors so that helps. But I get in the shower, meditate, use alot of visualization and I move ALOT. I cannot sit still in labor.

May 30th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used a birth ball, blowing the pain away with breathing, laboring in the tub, counter pressure during contractions and having the emotional support of my birth team (DH, Mom and midwives). I had three hospital births where I got an epidural at around 5-6cm. I was amazed that during my home birth the contractions didn't start to get really painful until I was 8-9 and clearly in transition. I loved that my midwife was so skilled, she knew what I needed before I even did.

May 31st, 2008, 06:09 PM
4boys
I used power walking (sounds odd but it works), counter pressure, showers, breathing and yelling. My labors are fast and intense so luckily I only had to use these things for about 45 minutes! I was planning on using water (a pool) but it happened too fast.
June 1st, 2008, 05:47 AM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Yes, water is definitely highly recommended, I don't think I've ever seen or heard a bad response to a water birth! (Or just using it for labor.)
I also hear that walking around, not laying on your back and keeping as positive as humanly possible helps! I'm going to have my husband and my doula there to keep me FOCUSED and DISTRACTED and I'm bringing my fun stuff like my DS (lol) and all my comfort foods, drinks, etc to keep my spirits up. ((This is for my hospital birth though. Long story =\ But I'm doing it naturally and without medical intervention so I'm trying to go in fully loaded to fight those pains!) I'm also going to labor in the tub as long as possible before heading to the hospital, and I'm going to have my husband on call to do the counter pressure massaging on my back

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
June 1st, 2008, 12:08 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Being upright, and like Lala said, just plain sucking it up and loudly moaning. LOL
#12 is on the way
June 2nd, 2008, 06:58 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Water definitely helped, although I didn't get into the tub until near the end of my labor. Of course, I was only 6 cm or so, so I had no idea her birth was so close.

I ended up laboring through the night while my older DD slept, and DH went to sleep so he could be fully present and attentive when I needed him. I ended up spending most of my labor in my rocking chair, rocking through the contractions. Rhythm and breathing got me through most of my labor very well.

Rhythm and ritual are two of the most important coping techniques during labor, and you'll very likely lapse into your own. It's great to have a plan, but it's SO hard to try and pinpoint what will actually help you until you're in the middle of it...and then, you're so inwardly focused, you'll probably slip into it without even realizing. Best of luck to you!
June 3rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Really just having different stuff to do. I know that sounds simple but it works! Your midwife will surprise you in how she handles suggestions and it is just different from a hospital birth. She is there the whole time. She is always guiding. She knows when to back off and allow you to find a new thing on your own. She will assist with ideas for you during labor when she feels you just need a something new.

For my couples I find they just need me to say this is okay. You ARE doing it.

I have had good outcomes with water use, rebozo for back pain, walking, just going to the bathroom, hip squeezes, counter pressure on the lower back, hot and cold therapy.

You can do it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search