Home Birth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2008, 03:29 PM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
Is it logical to have a home birth in an apartment, on the third floor? DF and I have decided that we really want a home birth. We were originally planning on birthing at the birth center with my midwife - I wanted to use their great built in birth tub since I would really love a water birth. But now that I have been really thinking about it I know I will much rather give birth at home, in my own surroundings, and just be comfortable.

I would just feel better to be on my own turf.

But, I'm worried that for some reason it won't work out. The only things I can think of is our apartment manager protesting (Can they do that?? What if I just don't tell anyone??) or there being an issue with the portable birth tub up here...though I doubt that would be a big huge issue. We do have an elevator so if there was an serious emergency it's not like I'd have to be carried down three flights of stairs..

I'm going to bring it up to my midwife on Monday, at my next visit with her. I'm sure it won't be an issue with her..I'm mostly worried about the apartment manager trying to stop me from birthing here.

Any advice??

July 4th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I would definately talk to your midwife and see what she says, I think it should be possible. I have a friend that had a homebirth at her apartment, but I am not sure what floor she was on or if she asked the manager. Sorry I am not much help, but if you want it, why not try for it, ya know.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

July 4th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I really want it. I am just really nervous about someone finding out that we are planning a home birth here, and then the management getting antsy about liability issues. I really don't even know if it would apply, and if they could legally do anything. They are pretty strict here, which I like normally.

I have told one other person, my friend, who just so happens to live in the apartment next to our manager here. I asked her not to mention it to anyone at all. She is very supportive, and is even considering giving birth with the midwife I am seeing (though she is leaning more toward a hospital birth..I'm taking her to my appointment on Monday so she can see first hand how fabulous my MW is!)

I just don't want to go into labor, and end up having the manager banging on my door telling me I have to go to the hospital or be evicted! KWIM?

July 4th, 2008, 10:55 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont see any reason why not!

I mean, consider this - most L&D wards arent on the first floor, and hardly any birthing "room" is as large as your bedroom much less your apartment - except it has a thousand times more germs lol.

I say go for it - no way would I be mentioning it to the landlord, but even still I dont see how they could legally object - YOURE renting it ! Unless they have a specific "no giving birth on the premises" in the lease lol

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
July 5th, 2008, 07:00 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont see the problem. How would they even know you're giving birth in there unless you say something to them? The only way I could see them finding out is if you scream alot and even then people fight all the time so how would they really know whats going on? If there are people doing homebirths in NYC then for sure they are doing it in apartments. I'm sure you'll be fine.

July 5th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Quote:
I say go for it - no way would I be mentioning it to the landlord, but even still I dont see how they could legally object - YOURE renting it ! Unless they have a specific "no giving birth on the premises" in the lease lol

Lala...[/b]
I definitely don't see that in the lease anywhere!

Quote:
I dont see the problem. How would they even know you're giving birth in there unless you say something to them? The only way I could see them finding out is if you scream alot and even then people fight all the time so how would they really know whats going on? If there are people doing homebirths in NYC then for sure they are doing it in apartments. I'm sure you'll be fine.[/b]
I won't say anything to our landlord, and hopefully word won't get back to them. I hope I won't be screaming a lot! I didn't even think about all the ladies having home births in NYC. That makes me feel much more relaxed about it.

Thanks. I'm so excited to be planning my home birth!!

July 6th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Do it! We UC'd in our apartment (first floor, but I don't think it matters). We didn't tell the landlord until afterwards. Then he and the assistant landlord signed our birth certificate application (we had to have someone testify that I was pregnant-assistant landlord, and a notary-landlord). Now they're pretty proud...although they don't know I'm pregnant again...we'll see what they say.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't see any reason why you couldn't...and I wouldn't be telling the landlord either (none of his nosy business anyway! ) I mean, what does it matter to him unless you get horrific stains on the carpet or something (which SO would not happen, especially if you're planning on a water birth...) The *only* thing I would worry about at all would be the noise factor, because that's impossible to predict...for me, I only got loud for the last fifteen minutes or so. But as Jennifer said, people are loud in apartments anyway. If they come banging on your door, "she's giving birth and can't be moved now" is an *excellent* excuse!

Let us know what your midwife has to say!
July 7th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks! I'm going to talk to my MW tonight and see what she says. I'm really set on having a home birth, and now I just can't see me having it any other way, even at the birthing center.

I'll update tonight and let you ladies know what she said.

July 7th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Super Mommy
The midwives here in NYC catch babies in apartments all of the time. I was planning a homebirth in our 1br, 3rd floor apartment. I wasn't going to ask anyone's permission to do it either. I might have let my next door neighbors know that I planned to labor at home for as long as possible so they wouldn't get alarmed by my noises, but like pp's said if it doesn't mention it in the lease, I'm allowed to to it.

Earn free Amazon gift cards with SWAGBUCKS!

July 7th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Thanks! I'm going to talk to my MW tonight and see what she says. I'm really set on having a home birth, and now I just can't see me having it any other way, even at the birthing center.

I'll update tonight and let you ladies know what she said. [/b]
YAY! I hope she says yes, be sure to update us

July 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Can't wait to hear how your meeting goes!!

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 7th, 2008, 02:47 PM
You know what just popped into my head...

I might not be able to do a water birth because of liability issues - if the landlord finds out, of course. I can't imagine what would happen if the tub leaked down three stories! EEK!

Midwife appointment at 6, tonight (EST) so I'll update this evening when I get home. I have a huge list of stuff to talk about with my MW.

July 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Midwife says we can go for it, no problems!

July 7th, 2008, 09:43 PM
YAY!!!!!

July 8th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I had Fritz in an apartment. I wasn't quiet during labor either. We didn't tell anyone in the leasing department. I had a land birth with him, but if you can have a waterbed you can use a birth pool. Our lease actually specifically excluded waterbeds (and fish tanks over 30 gallons), so I don't know how a birth pool would have been in there.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 8th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I don't think our lease excluded water beds, but I will defintely review it soon. Honestly, it's only going to be for one day. I doubt anything will happen, damage wise, and it is unlikely someone will find out about it anyways. I hope.

July 8th, 2008, 11:13 AM
YAY!!! I am so glad you can birth at home

July 8th, 2008, 11:17 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YAY!! I'm so glad it went well! Definitely look over that lease. We put a tarp down under my birth pool since we put it on carpet, just in case...and I ended up being in it for less than an hour anyway. I think you'd be fine, but better safe than sorry in the lease department, I suppose.
July 9th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Actually sometimes the waterbed exclusion is also for floor support issues. Water is very heavy and older buildings can't always support the weight of that much water concentrated in one area.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search