want another home birth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a home birth with my second baby and really enjoyed it. We now live in a area that does not have any midwifes. There are a couple 2hrs away but one of them wants you to come to them. I really want it at my house. I would still have to travel 2 hrs for prenatals with the one that does come here. It just doesnt seem feasiable this time.

I did find a Dr here that is into natural childbirth which is the next best thing but I still really dont want to birth in a hospital.

So what would you guys do?

Brandi

July 11th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
The closest midwife I could find was 1.5 hours from me. I had to drive to her for all my appointments and she started coming to my house weekly starting at 36 weeks. I had to pay her gas ($20 each time) for her way to my house. But I loved her and wanted a home birth really bad. I am so glad that I chose to go to her, I did not want another horrible hospital birth.

She actually did not make it to my house in time though. But that was not her fault, my labor went very fast, plus my phone was not working so my boyfriend had to drive to my parents house and get there cell phone so we could call her, her nurse was alot closer though and she did make it luckily.

What about a birth center?

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

July 12th, 2008, 10:03 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
We have that same problem so DH and I are planning to have an unassisted home birth when we do get pregnant. I know that's not for everyone though. Most people think I'm crazy for even thinking about it.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
July 12th, 2008, 05:09 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
We have that same problem so DH and I are planning to have an unassisted home birth when we do get pregnant. I know that's not for everyone though. Most people think I'm crazy for even thinking about it.[/b]

I even thought of that but not sure about it. That would be cool as long as nothing went wrong.

Brandi

July 12th, 2008, 09:47 PM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I even thought of that but not sure about it. That would be cool as long as nothing went wrong.

Brandi[/b]
much like an attended home birth, when considering uc, you just need to ask yourself, what could go wrong, and how would we handle it?
i'd love a uc, but my husband tends to be a panicky sort of guy, so it really is best to have a "pro" in attendance...or at least on her way. i don't plan on calling mine til late in the game....if the game ever starts!
July 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It makes me sad to hear this! We used to have two licensed midwives in the area. One moved due to pressures and one is not allowed to practice in the state. *sigh* And I can't serve the mamas here because I will have to move heaven and earth to finish up and that is on a bit of a hold until I have a baby and nurse that baby. Makes me sad that women have to DRIVE long distances or settle for hospital. And I hate when UC becomes the only way instead of the choice it is. *sigh*

I wish you luck and blessings on your journey. I hate that even IF I had my license I would still have to have a UC to have a homebirth. I hate that it is the only way and not just a choice. I really wanted a midwife for my next one.

July 21st, 2008, 08:57 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry you don't have a midwife closer. I was in the exact same position - the nearest was about a two hour drive away. But I had gotten to know her online, loved her, and it was so important me to have my home birth that I drove...and drove...and drove...to see her for prenatals. She came to me four times, if I recall correctly - the very first visit, the home visit at about 36 weeks, the birth and once after the birth.

I did have a friend that lived about halfway between us, so we did meet there a couple of times for prenatal visits.

It stinks that you have to make the choice between a hospital and a UC...like Chelita said, UC should be a *choice*, not the lesser of two evils. I hope something works out for you so you can have your home birth!!
July 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
Carliegirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd never go for a hospital birth....no matter what the circumstances. I'd drive to the midwife....and either plan a hotel birth or hope she can make it in time.

Thanks so much for the lovely siggie Trish (mtdk454)!!!!
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTRLvVI/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search