Really considering a home/water birth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Veteran
Well, I am 29 weeks pregnant and I have been going to an OB and was planning on having my little girl in the hospital. In the last week or so, I have been putting a lot more thought into it. It is coming up quick after all! I am SCARED TO DEATH of a C-Section. It's never been mentioned and I have a real low risk pregnancy but they seem to be happening more frequent. I dont want any intervention but was unsure of how I would handle the pain. After some research I am looking into Hypnobirthing to manage pain and a home birth to have the experience I want and deserve. My biggest question is if Medicaid pays for a home birth??? I would think so since it'd cost them less, but I dont know. How does the pool work?? How do you get water into it? How does it get warm? How do you get the water out after the birth? Has anyone done hypnobirthing and how was it? What do you need to get in order to have the baby at home? What do you do with the cord and placenta? So many questions..

UPDATE: Thanks everyone for all of your responses. I am terribly upset because I really wanted to have my little girl at home. I called medicaid and midwifes in the area and found out that medicaid will not pay for any home births. Even though it is cheap.. free is cheaper. I still do not want to go to a hospital at all. Any one ever experience a birth center? The one that I was looking at typically releases you about 4 hours after the birth and have jacuzzi there. I think medicaid will pay for it... I am hoping. I'm looking into it. I am pretty upset about this, but I cant get myself into any more debt than I already am. Any ideas, advice, or anything at all please let me know. Thanks again ladies for all of the responses.
July 16th, 2008, 01:00 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Sorry that I don't have all the answers to our questions....I would recommend finding a midwife/midwives in your area and seeing if they have availabilities around your due date. (The midwives in my city have a certain number they will take each month....4 of the ones I called at 9 weeks pregnant were already booked, thankfully I found one that wasn't) If you can't find an avail. midwife, I would recommend then searching for a birthing center in your area, most of them have birthing tubs and usually have more than one midwife in the practice, so it may be easier to be seen. My midwife has a birth supply kit that we have to buy at 34 weeks with almost all the medical needs we'll need. there's other items, such as paper towels, plastic liners, clean bath towels, etc that we'll need. I'm not sure about the medicaid answer. My midwife sets up the birthing tub and takes it down. I know there's some sites where you can buy them for like $40 or even just rent one. Good luck! Hope everything works out how you want it too and that you get your homebirth and no c-section is needed~

I researched your city for midwives and here's some links
http://utahmidwives.net/zc-84111.aspx
http://www.utahhomebirth.com/
http://www.balancedfamilies.com/
http://www.birthandfamilyplace.com/
http://www.birthwisemc.com/index_Page343.html
http://www.rebeccawilliamscnm.com/index.html
http://www.betterbirth.com/
http://www.thebabyplacehome.com/
http://www.lakeviewbabies.com/
http://www.birthingyourway.com/homebirth.aspx
http://www.greatbirths.com/

July 16th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Usually you have to pay out of pocket for a homebirth, which can be anywhere from $2000 to $8000, depending on where you live. I don't think Medicaid would pay for it, but I could be wrong.

You fill a birth tub with a hose and a special attachment that hooks up to your sink. You need a pump to drain it when you're done. Some tubs come with heater, but they dont' always work that well so someome might have to keep adding hot water to warm it back up. The midwife would tell you what supplies you need and how to get them. And she would take care of the cord and possibly the placenta. I still have my placenta in my freezer, waiting to bury it.

Good luck with your decision and your birth!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 16th, 2008, 08:15 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have medicaid only because my husbands boss doesn't offer any insurance and I got pregnant before I could pick out our health insurance plan (go figure!). They do not pay for my home birth. We are paying out of pocket (1,800) for my midwife and the services she offers. I pay each visit whatever amount I can (next appointment I should be able to pay off what we owe and I'm due in November) and medicaid has only covered my blood work from another doctor and my scan. That's been it so far.

Motherbird said everything else I was going to say.

Good luck! Feel free to pop in and ask anymore questions you may have.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 16th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
Quote:
My biggest question is if Medicaid pays for a home birth???[/b]
Medicaid paid for my birth. I would call some midwifes and see if they except it. I think it depends on your state. I had to pay for her gas to come to me, because I was over an hour away, and I had to pay for my birth kit, but thats it.

Quote:
How does the pool work??[/b]
I got to use my midwifes blow up pool. I blew it up a few weeks before my due date, so that it would be ready. We did not fill it until I was in labor.

Quote:
How do you get water into it?[/b]
You should wait to get in until you are atleast 6cm I was told. You just climb over the side and get in. You feel better imediatley, I think.

Quote:
How does it get warm?[/b]
My midwife had a hose that would hook up to the sink, but she was not here early enough, so we used buckets of hot water from my kitchen sink.

Quote:
How do you get the water out after the birth?[/b]
I delivered the placenta in the pool, then they took the baby and helped me out.

Quote:
Has anyone done hypnobirthing and how was it?[/b]
I looked into it but no I never did it. I had a hospital birth with my first and I was in alot of pain and needed some pain meds. They would not even let me sit up in bad, it was awful. With my home birth I used the pool and it was an awesome pain reliever. I never once even wished I could have meds.

Quote:
What do you need to get in order to have the baby at home?[/b]
Just find a midwife and she will help you with a birth kit.

Quote:
What do you do with the cord and placenta?[/b]
My midwife took them for me.

Good Luck, I hope you get the birth you want.

July 16th, 2008, 09:49 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
My biggest question is if Medicaid pays for a home birth???[/b]
Medicaid paid for my birth. I would call some midwifes and see if they except it. I think it depends on your state. I had to pay for her gas to come to me, because I was over an hour away, and I had to pay for my birth kit, but thats it.
[/b]
I do believe it's how your states system is set up. I am in Michigan and they wouldn't cover my midwife. So the cost of my prenatal care with her and the cost of my birth kit. Oh, and the pool liner is all on me. Which all together will be about 2,000.

Look up your states medicaid info and it should tell you. Also like mom_2_amara_n_kayori said, contact midwives. They will be able to tell you if medicaid accepts their services.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 16th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
medicaid varies by state. But I don't think Utah pays for it

http://mana.org/statechart.html

the good news is that it's significantly cheaper than a hospital birth, so out of pocket isn't too bad. Some midwives will work on a sliding scale and offer payment plans also.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 18th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Super Mommy
I'm paying $1800 for my midwife. She provides everything, and we're on a payment plan. I just pay her some each month, doesn't matter how much. As long as everything/or most everything is paid by the birth, it's fine.

Every midwife is different. Some can accept insurance, etc. Most (around here anyways) will take payments each month. And some will even let you work off some of the cost!! So if she has kids, you could babysit, or if she needs a housecleaner, you could do that! Anything to lower the cost!!

DF and I wanted to have a home-waterbirth so bad, that we've both been working as much overtime as possible, and we've been trying to sell anything and everything out of our house that we dont need.

As for the placenta, we plan to bury it.

To get the water in the tub-- good question! I never thought to ask! So this is new for me too!

To get the water out of the tub, I know my midwife has a pump to drain it out.

Just know, that if you decide you want a homebirth-- do anything you can to make it happen!! It will be worth it in the end!!!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0ruUTi/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a></div>
July 18th, 2008, 06:57 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Sorry it didn't/isn't working out how you want.....about birth centers....my SIL had my nephew at a birth center and LOVED it, she was hoping it'd convince her hubby that that could have a homebirth next but she liked it so much she's having the new baby there too. They tried convincing us into one too. Good luck~

July 19th, 2008, 03:43 AM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
UPDATE: Thanks everyone for all of your responses. I am terribly upset because I really wanted to have my little girl at home. I called medicaid and midwifes in the area and found out that medicaid will not pay for any home births. Even though it is cheap.. free is cheaper. I still do not want to go to a hospital at all. Any one ever experience a birth center? The one that I was looking at typically releases you about 4 hours after the birth and have jacuzzi there. I think medicaid will pay for it... I am hoping. I'm looking into it. I am pretty upset about this, but I cant get myself into any more debt than I already am. Any ideas, advice, or anything at all please let me know. Thanks again ladies for all of the responses.[/b]
I had my first two water births in a birth center in Kirkland WA. It was a BEAUTIFUL and relaxing environment for having a baby. I moved across the state before I had number 3. When I found out I was preggo again I did not WANT a home birth. I was going to travel back to the Seattle area to have the baby in the birth center because I couldn't have imagined a better experience and I had some fears surrounding a home birth. In the end though, I changed my mind and had my ND/midwife deliver my baby in water, at HOME. Now, after THAT experience I would never want to have it any other way. I'll always birth at home if it's possible.

THAT said, wherever you birth it will be a wonderful and memorable experience, whether it be at home or in a birth center. I think any out of hospital birth is going to be a victorious and liberating experience for you!
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search