I need help

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2008, 07:43 PM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
I may need to plan an unassisted birth, and I'm not even sure on where to start with finding information - other than googling "unassisted childbirth."

I'm nervous about it, and I do hope that I will be able to have a homebirth with my midwife, since that is the original plan and the one that I am most comfortable with, but I might "risk out" of her program and I simply refuse to have another hospital birth unless it is an emergency situation.

I'm feeling really overwhelmed. I know right now that DF and I will need to take a neonatal resuscitation course, and he will need to update his CPR certification. I've heard rumor that one of the midwives in my community is going to be offering a neonatal resuscitation course so we will definitely jump on that.

I'm confident that I can do this, especially since DF is [surprisingly] supportive, but I'm nervous. I need more information!!!

July 17th, 2008, 07:49 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure how much help I can be. I do have these two links for you that will helpfully help you some! Good luck

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/
http://www.birthandmotherhood.com/unassistedbirth.html

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 21st, 2008, 08:44 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know very, very little about UC myself...but I hope someone here can help you. Maybe browse the UC stories (subforum) and ask one of those mamas?

Best of luck to you!!
July 22nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks, ladies.

So far here is a reading list that I have come up with...just in case anyone is interested.

Active Birth by Janet Balaskas

Heart & Hands by Elizabeth Davis

Water Birth by Susanna Napieraka (I'm planning a water birth!)

Naturally healthy Pregnancy by Shanda Parker

Unassisted Homebirth by Lynn M. Griesemer

Emergency Childbirth: A Manual by Gregory J. White (heard this one is a good one for Dads too.)

Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Years by Susan Weed

and

Childbirth Without Fear by Grantly (D)ick-Read

August 3rd, 2008, 01:40 AM
For a website, read through everything on http://www.unhinderedliving.com/childbirth.html

For a book, I would add The Labor Progress Handbook

</div>
August 3rd, 2008, 09:33 AM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
check out the uc board on mothering dot com. those ladies are fabulous.
August 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM
booboobunny's Avatar mzdee
i am constantly on the mothering dot com forum on the UC board !! i have a list of books for UC as well. PM me sometime !!!! i want to UC but i am a little hesitant at times. But my main reason i want it is because i can't afford a HB midwife, don't want to give birth in the hospital, and don't want to travel to get to the closet birth center near me.

Me - Daynuh

August 9th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Also, google "homebirth stories" and "unassited birth stories" and take notes on stuff. Like if someone had a baby with sticky shoulders, write down how they got through the situation. I know that Heart and Hands has like 5 different maneuvers BESIDES breaking the baby's collar bone. I've heard great raves on that book and am actually getting it whenever I remember to order it when I have money. I LOVE Active Birth too. I've heard that Emergency Childbirth is hard to get a hold of in print, but I think you can view it online (I could be wrong). But if nothing else, you can google "Emergency Childbirth" and read up on it. I plan on making dh a cheat sheet this time. I was totally unafraid with our UC with Ele, but dh confided later that he was terrified. I think I didn't communicate enough with him before about what would/could happen (since our UC was sooooo very different than our hospital birth), so it will be nice for him to have a cheat sheet to refer to between prayers.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
August 9th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Double post.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
August 12th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Quote:
i am constantly on the mothering dot com forum on the UC board !! i have a list of books for UC as well. PM me sometime !!!! i want to UC but i am a little hesitant at times. But my main reason i want it is because i can't afford a HB midwife, don't want to give birth in the hospital, and don't want to travel to get to the closet birth center near me.[/b]
When I first thought about UC, I was terrified of it. I have been planning a home birth, but the possibility of not having my midwife there came up and my first instinct was to plan an unassisted birth because I will not be returning to the hospital for birth unless it is a life or death situation. I'll definitely PM you soon (I need to clear out my inbox because it's full right now!) so we can exchange info.

Quote:
Also, google "homebirth stories" and "unassited birth stories" and take notes on stuff. Like if someone had a baby with sticky shoulders, write down how they got through the situation. I know that Heart and Hands has like 5 different maneuvers BESIDES breaking the baby's collar bone. I've heard great raves on that book and am actually getting it whenever I remember to order it when I have money. I LOVE Active Birth too. I've heard that Emergency Childbirth is hard to get a hold of in print, but I think you can view it online (I could be wrong). But if nothing else, you can google "Emergency Childbirth" and read up on it. I plan on making dh a cheat sheet this time. I was totally unafraid with our UC with Ele, but dh confided later that he was terrified. I think I didn't communicate enough with him before about what would/could happen (since our UC was sooooo very different than our hospital birth), so it will be nice for him to have a cheat sheet to refer to between prayers.[/b]

I just got Active Birth in the mail, and I'm really in love with it. It's a great book! I found Emergency Childbirth online. It's hard for me to read it though, so I'm going to have DF print it out to make it easier.

I definitely think I'll make a cheat sheet for DF. I tell him pretty much everything that I learn, but I know he might forget something if we get in a tight situation. He is surprisingly very calm about UC. I thought he wouldn't be, but it definitely gives me more confidence to do it.

I still haven't decided, though. I am seeing my MW still, and as long as things stay the same I will be able to have her at my birth if I want to. I think I'll probably just leave it up to how I feel when I go into labor.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search