My MW isn't licensed?!

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Mother
I'm doing some more checking on my new MW (of whom DH and I are meeting next week) and I see that she isn't licensed. She is part of a forum of AP women in my area, and she's MW for women on that site. She apparently has all the knowledge, but she doesn't have any of the medical training (but she was saying that she knows it, she just doesn't have formal training).....

I'm nervous. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I knew this was too good to be true! My old MW is so much more expensive and I wasn't too happy with her over my m/c and her raising my hopes of having twins when nothing was in the sac at all. Advice ladies! Am I just paranoid? On my new MW's site is says she has a Dr. that she works with and she can send ppl in for labs or u/s's and what not, so then I'm like, "well she must have some training if she's affiliated with these people and places.."

HELP!!!

Here is her new site: http://mountainmidwife.com/index.php?optio...6&Itemid=28
July 22nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
So she is a direct entry mw. The midwives I have used for my last 3 births were direct entry and they were fantastic and very knowledgeable. When I first started with my mw's the "mother" midwife was still in practice, now 5 1/2 years later, both of her then apprentices are now running the practice.

I absolutely trust them and have a great relationship with them.

I guess its all about how comfortable you are with a mw who is direct entry with no formal medical training. I know in my state most of the "certified" midwives work in hospitals and do not do homebirths. They are more medical minded.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
July 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree it's all about your trust with them. I have a CPM (certified professional midwife) and from what I've read, they don't have the full extent training in the medical area like CNM's do. But I trust my midwife completely and know that if anything does happen, she is well aware of any signs and we will transfer if need be.

I think you should still meet with her and just ask her all the questions you're concerned with. I'm sure she'll be more then happy to answer them and help you.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
Mother
Direct entry.... ooooooook, that makes a bit more sense now. We are still going to meet with her next week. I'm not so nervous anymore now that it's not abnormal to have a direct entry MW. Whew!
July 22nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
Super Mommy
She has LM after her name which stands for Licensed Midwife. Here is a link with some info on midwife credentials. Most DEM's have formal training also, ask her about hers.

Earn free Amazon gift cards with SWAGBUCKS!

July 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
She has LM after her name which stands for Licensed Midwife. Here is a link with some info on midwife credentials. Most DEM's have formal training also, ask her about hers.[/b]
I noticed the LM as well. I don't see why she'd put it there if she wasn't.
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
July 22nd, 2008, 03:38 PM
Mother
OMG Can I blame it on pregnancy brain? I don't see how on earth I missed that....... LOL!

TY LADIES
July 22nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm all for the pregnancy brain excuse!!! :-)
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
July 22nd, 2008, 09:23 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I'm all for the pregnancy brain excuse!!! :-)[/b]
Haha, I am as well. It's my only excuse to get past some of the odd things I say that I don't mean to. Especially when I'm trying to get something important across and I twist my letters around in words

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 23rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
My midwife is a CNM, however, she doesn't do Homebirths, that is why we are planning a UCB. Insurance won't pay for a midwife for my homebirth, and I am planning on becoming a midwife myself, so where better to start my training than with my own body? lol I'm sure everything will be perfect, especially since you got referrals form so many others.
July 24th, 2008, 10:59 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Also keep in mind - MW licensing status will also be very dependent on your states laws. This isnt so much an issue - she has an LW after her name but she is direct entry. Some states WONT license direct entry MWs, some states dont license at all, some dont even certify! Its really hard to understand & keep track.

Personally - welive in a state that licenses, however we opted to go with a direct entry lay midwife rather than a formally trained licensed midwife simply b/c of 1) our comfort level with her personally, 2) her philosophies about birth and 3) our past birth experiences.

I knew i wanted someone hands off and non medical. Formally trained nurse midwives particularly are almost always going to be more hands on, more medically minded, etc. And while our local Licensed midwife wasnt a NURSE midwife, she was formlaly trained, and while not "medically minded" by most standards, she was far more medically minded than the lay midwife we chose. They actually worked together, and had about equal levels of experience... so it really came down to a matter of personal preference & comfort. The MW we chose was more motherly, gentle, out of the way. The other was more take charge, strong presence, etc.

Go with your gut

Lala....

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 6th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Super Mommy
I agree with Lala. It could be because of your state laws, etc. My MW is a Direct Entry-- but she's been doing it for over 30 years, and has done more births than the doctor I used to see!! So it doesn't bother me! (Also, it's because of my state laws)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0ruUTi/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a></div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search