Interested in a home birth.... but have several kids....

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
So would those factors make it so that no midwife would assist? I don't feel safe going unassisted.

My dh is half way talked into a home birth if we ever get pg. He is worried about the cost as its very unlikely that bcbs will cover the cost.

Also in delaware I'm not sure of the options for midwives here!? I don't even know where to start.

I guess getting pg would be the first step. Hahahaha

July 23rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife carries pitocin in case of hemorrhaging after delivery.

I tried googling midwives in Delaware but I wasn't coming up with anything that was helpful. Hopefully someone here can help you!

Good luck in hopefully getting a home birth you want and well, getting pregnant

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
My midwife carries oxygen, IV, pitocin and antihemohorraging meds.

I've seen cost range for home births ranging from $1200- $500 pending location of course. These costs usually cover all the prenatal appointments and homebirth.

Found this birth center and this midwife for you in Delaware

http://www.thebirthcenter.com/ShowPage.asp?id=128

http://birthpartners.com/lb-1-54-Emporia-1...ted+States.aspx

pending where you are in Delaware too, since it's a small state you could check states close to you, not sure where you are located or I'd search for ya.

Good luck~ Hope this helped you some

July 24th, 2008, 01:18 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

I've seen cost range for home births ranging from $1200- $500 pending location of course. These costs usually cover all the prenatal appointments and homebirth.[/b]
I just got quoted $3900 or $3100 if paid in full by week 31 in IL.
July 24th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Quote:

I've seen cost range for home births ranging from $1200- $500 pending location of course. These costs usually cover all the prenatal appointments and homebirth.

Found this birth center and this midwife for you in Delaware

http://www.thebirthcenter.com/ShowPage.asp?id=128

http://birthpartners.com/lb-1-54-Emporia-1...ted+States.aspx

pending where you are in Delaware too, since it's a small state you could check states close to you, not sure where you are located or I'd search for ya.

Good luck~ Hope this helped you some[/b]
Awesome! Thank you!

I had checked into the birth center when we were preggo with our 3rd and they said no. My history of fast labors and hemmorage, they wouldn't touch me basically. Plus with the fast labors, I likely wouldn't make it the 40-50 minute drive ha ha ha ha.

I just emailed the other one though I am so excited and hope to hear back soon!

July 24th, 2008, 07:24 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope you hear some good news as well

Quote:
Quote:

I've seen cost range for home births ranging from $1200- $500 pending location of course. These costs usually cover all the prenatal appointments and homebirth.[/b]
I just got quoted $3900 or $3100 if paid in full by week 31 in IL.
[/b]

$1200 - $5000 is what I've found to be the 'average' price range as well. My midwife has a pay scale of $1500 - $2100.

I am paying $1800 for my home birth which includes my prenatal visits and after birth visits. It has to be paid in full by 2 weeks after the baby is born. I'm pretty much almost paid.

I also have the cost of my birth kit (which should only be $50) and then the pool lining, which I believe my midwife quoted at maybe $30.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 24th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I had no history of anything, but at my homebirth I had a very quick labor and lost ALOT of blood, I was passing out and almost had to go to the hospital, but she gave me pitocin and things calmed down. She said she would deliver for me again.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

July 24th, 2008, 09:24 AM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
Some midwives carry pitocin, or other medications, and others use herbal remedies that can work just as well, like Sheperds Purse tincture.

Things to help prevent PPH: taking chlorphyll during pregnancy (you get this naturally from eating lots of green veggies, but you can buy a liquid or gel capsule supplement at your local health food store.) I have also heard that alfalfa tablets, taken regularly 2-4 weeks before your due date can help lessen or prevent PPH.

Another thing that you might consider is delayed cord clamping/cutting. I have heard from several sources that waiting to clamp or cut the cord until after the placenta has been delivered can reduce PPH. There are benefits to the baby as well, as this allows plenty of time for the cord to stop pulsing, and for all the blood to be transfered to the baby (which is full of nutrients, and oxygen!)

Good luck, Jenn! I hope you find a midwife willing to take you.

July 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Some midwives carry pitocin, or other medications, and others use herbal remedies that can work just as well, like Sheperds Purse tincture.

Things to help prevent PPH: taking chlorphyll during pregnancy (you get this naturally from eating lots of green veggies, but you can buy a liquid or gel capsule supplement at your local health food store.) I have also heard that alfalfa tablets, taken regularly 2-4 weeks before your due date can help lessen or prevent PPH.

Another thing that you might consider is delayed cord clamping/cutting. I have heard from several sources that waiting to clamp or cut the cord until after the placenta has been delivered can reduce PPH. There are benefits to the baby as well, as this allows plenty of time for the cord to stop pulsing, and for all the blood to be transfered to the baby (which is full of nutrients, and oxygen!)

Good luck, Jenn! I hope you find a midwife willing to take you.[/b]
15-20 min is how long it takes for the cord to stop pulsating I believe. There are great advantages to waiting to cut!
July 24th, 2008, 10:38 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
the delaying cord cutting...my midwives do it

July 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
I've also heard that drinking red raspberry tea at the end of your pregnancy can help tone your uterus and help prevent excessive bleeding.

July 24th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Quote:
I've also heard that drinking red raspberry tea at the end of your pregnancy can help tone your uterus and help prevent excessive bleeding.[/b]

For me it doesn't, I may help for more effect contractions, but I have drank that stuff like crazy and didn't help with the bleeding afterwards.

July 25th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
How interesting about the bleeding. I would definitely look into the alfalfa and maybe some iron supps as well. I would keep shephards purse on hand (you never know, just in case the mw doesn't make it). I hope you find someone who will accept you!

You know, were you a part of FF a couple of years ago? I think I remember you from the ttc & bfing group in like 2004/2005.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 25th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Quote:
How interesting about the bleeding. I would definitely look into the alfalfa and maybe some iron supps as well. I would keep shephards purse on hand (you never know, just in case the mw doesn't make it). I hope you find someone who will accept you!

You know, were you a part of FF a couple of years ago? I think I remember you from the ttc & bfing group in like 2004/2005. [/b]

Yeppers! I have been all over the place! JM is my home now.

July 25th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I hemorrhaged after both of my first two births (hospital - pitocin didn't help btw and then freestanding birthing center - got a shot of methergine that time and it worked great). I hemorrhage when my placenta separates. We waited for the cord to stop pulsating to cut the cord with Ani and didn't cut it until the placenta was out with Cameron. My midwife had no problem delivering me at home with my third. I hemorrhaged again. She doesn't do cord cutting until the mom wants it done because it's getting in the way or the mom wants the baby to be weighed and all an hour or two after the birth. She can't legally carry drugs here in VA so she uses herbs (Lady's Mantle). It stopped the bleeding quickly with Fritz after just two doses. She also delivered my fourth and this time I didn't hemorrhage. I did nothing differently with Fritz versus Adrian so it was just a random thing. I took a dose of Lady's Mantle after the placenta separated as a prophylactic measure due to my history.

My midwife has her moms take alfalfa beforehand. They are supposed to be up to 3 grams at 36 weeks. I get up to 3 grams a day at 28 weeks because of my history.

As for the cost, my midwife (and all the CPMs here in northern VA) are $3000. That went up in January but since I was already pregnant my cost was $2500. My insurance (Anthem BC/BS) paid just over $1000 of it.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search