Stunned by Doctor

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Melui's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was at my Peaditricians this week for a check up with my youngest. He congratulated me on my pregnancy and asked me which hospital I was considering. I said i was currently under an OB but considering changing to a midwife for a home birth because thats what i had planned for my last birth in the UK (although it didnt end up happening) and becuase i have very fast births and thought id rather be at home than doing it alone with my DH on the freeway. Now I have always felt very very comfortable with this doc - and was very taken aback to hear this from him.

Anyway he went into a long lecture about how unsafe homebirths were and how simple things like cords round the neck could mean cerebral palsy etc. I was totally shocked as I was under the belief that home births with midwives were very safe. He said they could not supply oxygen etc if baby needed it and made me feel like a huge risktaker for even considering it.

Part of me wants to buckle and just stay with an OB now and part of me still says ok - so what if you dont get to the hospital in time - will that be even more of a risk if there is a complication than being at home with a midwife team?

Just wanted to add - my 2 kids will be 2 and 4 by the time this baby arrives in jan - and as we are quite new to America i dont know many people who I can get help from - so we will likely have to factor them into the birth - ie take to hospital with us - or stay at home with us. (im moving house in October so currently dont know any of the neighbours yet so the 'may' be great and willing to mind kids at short notice but also may not!)
July 26th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Veteran
Read up on homebirths because I have heard that homebirths are just as safe in not safer than hospitals.. research it though. That would be the best way to get informed and to feel comfortable about it.
July 26th, 2008, 02:38 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Your best bet is to inform yourself. There are a lot of great books on homebirth.
#12 is on the way
July 26th, 2008, 03:18 PM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Midwives are fully prepared and equipped to deal with many/most birth related emergencies. They bring resuscitation gear, pitocin (or other) to stop excessive bleeding, oxygen tank/masks, you name it! I feel much more comfortable having a home birth than I ever would being in a hospital with all their interventions and drugs that create most birth emergencies. I agree with the other gals...just read up and educate yourself. Gentle Birth Choices (w/a DVD for viewing) & Born in the USA are great books. There's a plethora of them out there. Movies too! If you're a Netflix member you can instant watch THE BUSINESS OF BEING BORN http://www.netflix.com/WatchNowMovie/The_B...rsonid=20009086

Good Luck with your knowledge quest!
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
July 26th, 2008, 07:35 PM
4boys
Yeah, I would say he is wrong. Things done in North America are so much different than in the UK. I think that homebirths and midwives are MUCH more common and accepted over there. I personally think he probably said those things because if you switch and have a home birth, he loses money. I agree with the other ladies, do your research. But everything I have read is that for a normal, low-risk pregnancy, a home birth is as safe or safer than a hospital birth. His comments would make me switch to a midwife quickly!
July 27th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That sounds like a very misinformed doctor! Midwives do bring the necessary equipment with them for emergencies and also know when/ how to call for a transfer if absolutely necessary.
Go with your instincts about Homebirth. It is very safe. My doctor would tell you that homebirth is even safer than a hospital birth.

Also it will great to have your kids at home with you during the birth. Just think, baby will be born and all of you can cozy up in your own bed afterwards- one big happy family. No hospital procedures, visitor policies, etc...

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 27th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree that the Dr sounds misinformed. My midwife came equipped with oxygen as well as a variety of other emergency equipment. Thankfully she didn't need to use it but she was very well prepared. I loved my home birth and am planning another one in February. I'd suggest interviewing some midwives and asking them their policies/procedures on handling emergency situations to get a more well balanced view.
July 27th, 2008, 08:19 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, I'm SO sorry you had to endure that...but you do have to consider the source. Doctors will be doctors, and the majority seem to be *very* misinformed about the role of the midwife. She isn't just a lady that shows up to watch the birth - mine was also very well equipped to handle an emergency, and was well prepared to transfer to a hospital if something came up that she couldn't handle.

Adding to your reading list - The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer. LOTS of great information in that one. And of course, ask all the questions you'd like here.
July 28th, 2008, 11:44 AM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i have to chime in saying that home births are perfectly safe for most women...i gave birth at home nine days ago, and my birth wasn't uncomplicated- i hemorrhaged, and my baby crashed after birth and needed resuscitation. but my midwife had everything on hand to take care of both problems, my baby was fine within ten minutes and i was fine within 30 or so.

also, my older kids are two and five, and were both at home. my five year old stayed up specially to meet her new brother and did fine. my two year old slept through the actual birth, but woke up and came to meet the baby while i was still bleeding heavily, and also did great. even getting bled on (everyone in the room did) didn't seem to faze her.
July 29th, 2008, 08:25 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For low risk women study after study after study and statistic after statistic shows that giving birth at home presents FEWER risks than in a hospital - for a high risk woman I'm sure the #s would be different. At home, you are more able to maneuver, less likely to get unnecessary medication, and as a result there is less incidence of fetal distress, maternal distress, failure to progress, etc - and also b/c you can move & arent doped up you are more likely to be able to move and SOLVE issues like cords around the neck (which btw are totally normal & rarely fatal).

Unfortunately, few pediatricians are well versed about birth, and even fewer about homebirths. The miseducation & misinformation out there about it is ENORMOUS. And you may want to reconsider using him as a ped if he does have those kind of views. There are probably some homebirth friendly peds in your area - your MW will likely be able to refer you to some

(We had a pretty ugly run in with our ped office after our homebirth for similar reasons - we ended up having to switch & find another ped when our daughter was a few days old).

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
July 30th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Melui's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Ladies - you have once again given me some confidence in my own beliefs!
I will carry on looking into the midwife scenario to see if it will work for me (insurance and all that!).
Thanks once again
Elaine
July 30th, 2008, 05:06 PM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
I'm confused? What would they do in a hospital about a cord wrapped around the neck that they can't do at home?? It is true that a cord wrapped around the enck can cause Cerebral palsy, that's what happened to DH's sister... but that was in a hospital...

My midwife came with just as much equipment then what my local hospital had available.. so the choice for me was pretty easy.
July 30th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Mother
Sorry you're dealing with this **HUGS**
August 1st, 2008, 09:20 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I would say the chances of permanent damage from a cord around the neck are LESS likely at home with a good mw because she isn't going to be screaming at you to push constantly. She'll take the time to evaluate how baby is doing during each push, and if she senses something is wrong, she'll take appropriate action (like feeling for a cord and instructing different/faster/slower pushing). I think at the hospital they just rush you through the whole process, not to mention encourage you to push before you're ready. Google something like "homebirth stories nuchal cord"...I hear its pretty common. I think your doctor was 1) misinformed, and 2) afraid of losing money.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search