Vbac Homebirth?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When is it too late to consider this? I am 38 weeks and a few days and I am desperately hoping for a vbac.... I have tried all the natural ways to encourage labor with no success fresh pineapple, spicy chicken curry, walking, DTD, pedicures and acupressure, red raspberry leaf tea, evening primrose oil, etc, I guess I just thought I could do this.... My doc will not let me go over 41 weeks and although I am extremely thankful for having them even allow my vbac I am a bit upset at the thought of having to schedule a c-section only 7 days past my due date. I have heard and have been told of the risks involving a vbac, but my body just doesn't feel like this scar is preventing from birthing a baby naturally. I mean I don't feel broken or anything lol.....

My first labor had no complications at all, my water broke naturally at 38 weeks and 2 days but I never had a single natural contraction. I went to the hospital at noon and an hour later they started the pitocin drip, I was having contractions that were reasonable up until around 11pm and then I had to have something for the pain, about an hour later I got an epidural. I slept off and on throughout the night and around 6am my doctor checked me and I was at 8cm but the babies heart rate was going from 120's-40's and 60's so she suggested we move fast into an Emergancy C-section, after the birth she had told me the cord was around my daughters neck and with the contractions it was choking her......

I know of a doula in my area that does home births but I never called her because I never thought I needed her so I dont even know if she would be available.... I am kinda nervous about having a vbac especially out of the hospital but Im no more nervous than going in for another major surgery. I was just hoping I could have the experience of a c-section birth and a healthy happy natural birth like god intended with no complications to either the baby or me....

What do you ladies think or suggest????

August 15th, 2008, 05:14 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I wish I had more time to reply to this but it honestly sounds like your pitocin/epidural combination caused the problems leading up to your c-section. If you watch "the Buisness of Being Born" they talk about that domino effect that can happen in the hospital. I believe epidurals are proven to cause heart decelerations/etc for the baby during labor, but somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you should go with your gut, and just refuse an induction or c-section. I think your baby will come when he/she is ready! And you have only had one c-section right? I personally would not see that as that high of a risk. If you keep having c-sections the procedure will become more risky every single time you have one.
I say trust yourself and your body, and you absolutely have the right to refuse any medical procedure that they want to do at the hospital.
August 15th, 2008, 05:23 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was a domino effect c-section. I went into labor on my own, they didn't like the speed of my labor so they induced me. The induction lead to morphine, followed by an epidural. The epidural slowed down my contractions, so they pushed more pitocin. My son was posterior, longer labor and pushing. They didn't like that, thus scaring me into a c-section.

I am having a VBAC home birth this November. If it is what you truly want, contact a midwife or the doula you mentioned. Your baby will come when he/she is ready and if you do have a hospital birth, do not let them give you an induction. That more then likely would lead directly to another c-section.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
August 15th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
Just ask. My midwife said that her last client started seeing her @ 35 weeks. I think having a VBAC is best @ home. It is a lot less risky than a second c-section.

August 18th, 2008, 10:57 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Amy, I think you will be successful with your VBAC. Term is 37-42 weeks, there is LOTS of time left.

One thing I wonder, you mention homebirth in here with a doula, are you contemplating this? I ask because I think maybe you aren't certain of the differences in a doula and a midwife. While many doulas are working on midwifery schooling, many are not. I, as you know, am a doula and I do attend homebirths, but not as a doula, but as a traditional birth attendent. When working as a doula I cannot do this, a doula is support only. As far as I go personally, as a doula, I will not go to the hospital anymore, hence, why I don't work as a doula anymore, quite honestly, I hate it (not the job, but the crap that happens in hospital and I refuse to subject myself to that anymore). So, the doula that only attends homebirths likely only attends homebirths with a midwife. If she is the only attendent then she is not working as a doula, that is outside of the doulas scope. But, you should be aware, that she doesn't have the qualifications to attend homebirths if she is only a doula. Not that you need certain qualifications, but legally you do, if you are doing certain medical tasks.

I am getting way off here...

August 18th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Amy, I think you will be successful with your VBAC. Term is 37-42 weeks, there is LOTS of time left.

One thing I wonder, you mention homebirth in here with a doula, are you contemplating this? I ask because I think maybe you aren't certain of the differences in a doula and a midwife. While many doulas are working on midwifery schooling, many are not. I, as you know, am a doula and I do attend homebirths, but not as a doula, but as a traditional birth attendent. When working as a doula I cannot do this, a doula is support only. As far as I go personally, as a doula, I will not go to the hospital anymore, hence, why I don't work as a doula anymore, quite honestly, I hate it (not the job, but the crap that happens in hospital and I refuse to subject myself to that anymore). So, the doula that only attends homebirths likely only attends homebirths with a midwife. If she is the only attendent then she is not working as a doula, that is outside of the doulas scope. But, you should be aware, that she doesn't have the qualifications to attend homebirths if she is only a doula. Not that you need certain qualifications, but legally you do, if you are doing certain medical tasks.

I am getting way off here...[/b]
Well, actually Brandy you gave me her number so maybe she is a midwife haha, I get the two confused. You looked up Indformation for me and found her. I will have to look her up again to be sure, but yeah. I am very positive towards my vbac, but I was never really considering it out of the hospital only because I am so scared from never hearing about a homebirth. If at 42 weeks I tell my doctor no c-section I am sure their practice will drop me because of risks and I wont be able to return then my only option would be to contact a midwife and Im afraid because if I birth at home and a complication does arise will I be able to go to the hospital that I was planning to deliver with, with the doctors who dropped me? This is all the information I never asked because I thought by 42 weeks I would have delivered which I am only 39 so I DO still have time, but you know what I mean. I just didn't think I would need other alternatives.

August 25th, 2008, 07:45 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry to have missed this sooner...did you ever contact her, Amy? I'm sure I would, especially if I had the same feeling as you, that everything would be well with a home birth. And if it doesn't work out, I would decline the induction or C-section, at least until the 42 week mark. Even then, I'd have to have a compelling reason to okay a Cesarean.

Best of luck - hope you'll come back and let us know what's going on!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search