Hello

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2008, 08:21 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there.

So, I watched The Business of Being Born and I'm officially scared now. Was planning to do the natural birth thing at the hospital, but after hearing that the OBGYNs aka. surgeons will push meds onto you, whether you want them or not - which in turn may cause the necessity of a C-Section; I've been thinking I'd like to get a midwife. Plus all those statistics about the infant/ mother mortality rate in the US and seeing the one woman who made birth look just so effortless and well, bearable in the birthing pool: I'm pretty much convinced. I'd actually read about birthing pools before and was interested in that as a birthing method, but my current doctor/ hospital doesn't accommodate that.

Are those things in The Business of Being Born true or am I being deceived by a documentary? We all know documentaries often slant things to fit the chosen agenda. This is my first pregnancy, so I really don't know what I'm doing.

My insurance doesn't cover home birth. It does cover certified midwives and there happens to be a birthing center not too far away that I'm going to call on Monday to get some info. So, I don't plan to actually give birth at home, but in a birthing center. Can I still hang out here and learn some stuff?

August 16th, 2008, 09:24 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
of course you are more than welcome!!! (I haven't seen the business of being born, but have seen the trailers and heard of it and honestly I really think it is true- read some autobiographies of a L&D nurse about the US maternity system, etc) Good lcuk calling the birthing center, hope you get the info you need. (we don't have insurance which is a side reason we are going with a home birth, we pay blank amount each month and then the balance at 36 weeks, so it's really not too bad, much cheaper than a hopsital birth ) Good luck, hope you stay here and get the birth experience you want!!!

August 17th, 2008, 01:57 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All the stats in that movie are correct....actually we are looking like we will be number one with infant mortality in industrialized countries for the next data collection. And the (i think they say 36%) c/s rate is correct for the country---but the rates at each hospital really say something. In Chicago one of our best hospitals has a rate in the 40's! Its hard to get a c/s rate from a hospital you will find---they don't like to share that. But c/s are the #1 surgery done in all of the USA!
August 17th, 2008, 06:53 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
If you want to have a natural birth I would highly recommend getting a midwife or going to the birthing center. Talk to the center and see if your insurance might cover it! I think a lot of insurance companies are now because the birthing centers are so much cheaper than hospitals. If you do go to a hospital you could always hire a doula, they are great about getting doctors and nurses to leave you alone and help you have the birth that you want.

I have insurance because I am active duty military, but I am choosing to pay for a midwife myself, I think it is totally worth it. Funny thing is that military dependents can go to a birth center but since I'm on active duty I can't. I was pretty mad about that.
August 18th, 2008, 06:04 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I am the mother of seven, expecting my eighth. I have had five hospital births, including two csections, and two homebirths now. My last baby was a planned homebirth that ended in an emergency csection due to placental abruption. My MW and I were completely relaxed and knew my baby was okay until I got to the hospital and all hell broke loose. We were treated like garbage and I was even accused of having had no prenatal care and DRUG TESTED!!!!!!!!!

This baby is planned to be a homebirth again. After the experiences I have had, I WISH anyone had given me the information that is out there now before I made that first trip to an OBGYN.
I would never give birth in a hospital again unless it meant the life of me or my child. I feel we will be much safer at home having a HBA2C then in the hospital being forced into another csection this time around.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
August 20th, 2008, 05:39 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My insurance does cover the midwife I chose and the birthing center I think I'll will be having the baby at. I get to actually meet with the midwife and tour the center on the third of September. I'm very excited for that! We talked on the phone and she seems really nice and cool. Looking forward to that...

But first, we find out the baby's gender on the twenty-ninth! Yayyayyayyayyay!

^ That will also be when I "break up" with my current doctor. She's great, but not the one for me.

August 25th, 2008, 07:50 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board! I'm so glad you're researching your options and touring the birthing center! The stats in Business of Being Born are unfortunately true...the U.S. is pretty pitiful in terms of maternity care. Feel free to stay with us and ask all the questions you like!
August 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Congrats on the birth center! That is awesome that your insurance covers it

I was considering a birth center too but unfortunately it was a little bit too expensive...but I think they are awesome!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search