Hotel Birth.

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2008, 05:56 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We live in hotels 365 days a year. Have for a couple years now. Well i want a home birth, but we don't have a home. We have a hotel with a bedroom, living room and kitchen but not a house. What do you all think of having a Marriott Residence Inn baby?! LOL---baby was conceived in a Marriott so it would be fitting LMAO.
Do you think if they found out thats what I was doing they could do anything about it? Any legal reason why i can't have a baby in a hotel room? Our other option is looking to sub-let a fully furnished house for 2 months or find a fully funished place to rent for 2 months. What do you all think? Am I crazy?
August 26th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I'd mostly be concerned with two things

1 - making a permanant mess (blood on the carpet/bed/etc...) and having to pay for it

and

2 - hotels are VERY full of germs. Seriously, even nice hotels, ewww. Think about how many people have been in that room, on the bed. The matresses don't get washed, often the bedspreads don't get washed, just the sheets. I do know that Marriott at least flips the matresses often and replaces them fairly frequently (My DH used to work for them). But I'd still be wary of doing it. In your own home it's all germs you and the baby have already been exposed to. Not necessarily the case in a hotel.

Personally I'd look into renting a house for a couple months. I'd just be more comfortable with it.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

August 26th, 2008, 10:27 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
When you guys find out where you're going after Thailand can you rent a local apartment or house for a little while? I guess I would kind of be concerned about making a mess, or being really loud and the people in the next room over calling the cops or something because they think you're dying LOL! Not that everyone is loud of course, but you never know how you are personally going to react to labor.
August 26th, 2008, 03:27 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I agree with what Katie and Kelli mentioned. Especially the germ one...I HATE hotels for that very reason, I watched some thinga bout how nothing gets cleaned or if it does it doesn't get cleaned right and that just grosses me out and would worry me about giving birth in that type of environment, along with the possibility of making a mess and having to pay for it and having paper thin walls. Good luck to you and your decision!! (If you go for the Marriott birth...I personally would buy/make my own cleaners and start sterilizing and cleaning the room and getting your own towels, sheets, pillows, etc and a lot of plastic liners for the birth, just a suggestion )

August 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here's an entry from a general manager in his blog about a request to birth at his hotel. I'm thinking you would get the same response from most.
http://www.opushotel.com/blog/2006_05_01_o...el_archive.html It's under Wednesday, May 17, 2006 on the first page.

I agree with the ladies above. Renting a place would be a better option and no one has to know the purpose. I wouldn't be worried about making a bloody mess though...that's what towels and plastic sheeting are for. :-) Everything can be easily disposed of with no one being the wiser. You could also rent a hotel near a beautiful birthing center and just give birth there and then go back to your hotel. THough, I know that's not quite the experience you're looking for, just another option to consider.

ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
August 27th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Here's an entry from a general manager in his blog about a request to birth at his hotel. I'm thinking you would get the same response from most.
http://www.opushotel.com/blog/2006_05_01_o...el_archive.html It's under Wednesday, May 17, 2006 on the first page.

I agree with the ladies above. Renting a place would be a better option and no one has to know the purpose. I wouldn't be worried about making a bloody mess though...that's what towels and plastic sheeting are for. :-) Everything can be easily disposed of with no one being the wiser. You could also rent a hotel near a beautiful birthing center and just give birth there and then go back to your hotel. THough, I know that's not quite the experience you're looking for, just another option to consider.[/b]
OK I have to ask---did you google looking for that blog?! LOL Or is it on your must read list. Its fun to read, and I can see their points as well....and I ended up reading much more of the blog because it was fun!

The germ issue isn't one I am even kind of worried about-we have lived in nothing but hotel for 2yrs and our children will live in them for the next 3-5 yrs. I am pretty used to them..because they are home to us. So the germs there ARE the ones my body is used to.

Katie-we plan on continuing to travel till I am at 34 weeks (the max your allowed to fly with just a doctors note). So when we are done in Thailand well...I guess we will see where to next! It looking like India/Brazil/China areas. We could easily be in a few more countries by next March. We will go back to the states for the last month and until baby and I are cleared to get back on a plane (3 weeks-ish I have been told). Then off to another location again.

I will probably rent a place, just to avoid getting into it with the hotel staff. Thanks for your thoughts ladies!
August 28th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Regular

I will probably rent a place, just to avoid getting into it with the hotel staff. Thanks for your thoughts ladies!

Hey Angela. I have a question or two for you. Are you using a midwife for this birth or doing it unassited. I guess that I was going to ask you if you could ask your midwife if you could birth in her house.

I think that traveling the world sounds like so much fun. I'm sure that you get to see so much!!
Expecting #4 in February!!
</div>

<div align="center"></div>
August 29th, 2008, 12:03 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
We are renting a house right now and there's not a birthing center anywhere in or area. I really want a home birth because I want the freedom to go completely natural, and in my timing, without having to deal with impatient Dr and Nurses pressuring me to do things I don't want to do, just because there shift ends soon! (along with a bunch of other reasons).

I was a little concerned about what the landlord would say if he new we were wanting to birth our baby in his house! He's an older gentleman, and I was concerned he would have a problem with it...seeing as he's very picky about his carpets. Not to mention I don't think he has any children..but even if he did, a home birth wold not exactly be considered the norm in his eyes...I mean seriously, back in his day women went to the hospital as soon as they had their first contraction and the dad waited in another room! (He's a very nice old man, please don't get me wrong! He's just very traditional!)

Anyway all this to say, I asked my midwife about it and she said that if it came up, not to put ideas in his head, but if he stated a concern, to tell him that the midwife knew how to clean it up, but it really wasn't that messy!

Now here's the interesting part...She also said that according to law, he can't tell me not to! (I think my DH and I have decided that in order to avoid conflict, we're gong with the "what he doesn't know won't hurt him" mindset. And if he does find out and has a problem with it, we will deal with it then!). I REALLY don't want to have a hospital birth, it goes against everything I know/feel!

Now more related to you Angela. My Midwife did mention that some people who for whatever reason can't have it in their own home, do have births in hotels! I didn't get the impression that they necessarily got permission though! Not that you want to be deceptive...but if you are having it unattended, what's to keep you from being in the hotel room when the baby decides to come! I mean people have babies in cars and on the side of the road all the time because they couldn't make it to the hospital...right? Maybe that's wrong, but she said she's done it! It's not something I'd consider, but I'm not in your position!

I don't know! It seams so ridicules how people act about babies and birthing...It's so natural! yet people are so grossed out and scared of it! I guess it's just because they don't understand it! I hope you are able to figure something out! KUP!

PS...Are you going to be in the US for the birth? I didn't catch that before.

August 29th, 2008, 12:35 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
We are renting a house right now and there's not a birthing center anywhere in or area. I really want a home birth because I want the freedom to go completely natural, and in my timing, without having to deal with impatient Dr and Nurses pressuring me to do things I don't want to do, just because there shift ends soon! (along with a bunch of other reasons).

I was a little concerned about what the landlord would say if he new we were wanting to birth our baby in his house! He's an older gentleman, and I was concerned he would have a problem with it...seeing as he's very picky about his carpets. Not to mention I don't think he has any children..but even if he did, a home birth wold not exactly be considered the norm in his eyes...I mean seriously, back in his day women went to the hospital as soon as they had their first contraction and the dad waited in another room! (He's a very nice old man, please don't get me wrong! He's just very traditional!)

Anyway all this to say, I asked my midwife about it and she said that if it came up, not to put ideas in his head, but if he stated a concern, to tell him that the midwife knew how to clean it up, but it really wasn't that messy!

Now here's the interesting part...She also said that according to law, he can't tell me not to! (I think my DH and I have decided that in order to avoid conflict, we're gong with the "what he doesn't know won't hurt him" mindset. And if he does find out and has a problem with it, we will deal with it then!). I REALLY don't want to have a hospital birth, it goes against everything I know/feel!

Now more related to you Angela. My Midwife did mention that some people who for whatever reason can't have it in their own home, do have births in hotels! I didn't get the impression that they necessarily got permission though! Not that you want to be deceptive...but if you are having it unattended, what's to keep you from being in the hotel room when the baby decides to come! I mean people have babies in cars and on the side of the road all the time because they couldn't make it to the hospital...right? Maybe that's wrong, but she said she's done it! It's not something I'd consider, but I'm not in your position!

I don't know! It seams so ridicules how people act about babies and birthing...It's so natural! yet people are so grossed out and scared of it! I guess it's just because they don't understand it! I hope you are able to figure something out! KUP!

PS...Are you going to be in the US for the birth? I didn't catch that before.[/b]
We rent the house we live in and never once did it cross my mind how my landlord would react haha. It's been offered to us eventually to purchase (hes waiting for his divorce to be finalized.) I just figured we'd tell him we were having another baby when we signed our next lease and it really wasn't his business where I birthed. So, I guess we're going with the same mindset as you, what he doesn't know, won't hurt him.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
August 31st, 2008, 10:29 AM
I plan on using a midwife! And we are 70% sure we will be in the states. If we have a job option that is several months and its in a great homebirth/midwife friendly ( and my DH thinks good healthcare system LOL) we will just go there. But I would guess thats not happening so most likely the states. If for some reason we can't find a rental place-I'm going with the "what they don't know will not hurt them" in the hotel! LOL (hoping my midwife is ok with that). And wow I never thought my midwives house-I will have to ask! Thanks!
PS -i'm a landlord also (I own a house in CO). As long as IF you ruined anything you paided to fix it--I would not care if any babies were born in my house. I don't think landlords get any say it what goes on in a house-as long as the HOUSE is ok!
September 1st, 2008, 12:37 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
A lot of people have babies in hotels, because they live to far from midwifery care or for other reasons.

I assume you would be at the hotel a while, not just when labour begins, in which case I wouldn't worry that there are too many germs, it will be your place by then, your germs.

September 1st, 2008, 11:08 PM
Good to know!

Yeah we would stay at the hotel will always stay at while in the states because it has a kitchen and rooms! We will get there no later then 36 weeks and stay till baby is born and we get approval for flying again--if we go with the hotel way.
September 9th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I could not ask for more.
Its your decision. I would just get a corner room or something so you are more away from everyone and clean clean clean!

September 9th, 2008, 03:37 PM
~Jackie
Good luck, this thread was an interesting read! LOL!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search