Just wondering :)

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2008, 07:29 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are your thoughts on piercing a baby girls ears as an infant?

I'm just curious, so lets keep this civil!

My personal opinion is not to do it and let them decide once their old enough.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
August 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I completely agree. (earrings are cute and all, but my cousins ripped their's out as infants and caused problems and I don't want that) I begged to get my pierced for the longest time and it was the greatest surprise when my mom took me to get them done! If we have a gril, this is what we plan to do. It means more to them, like it did for me and I'd like to have that special bonding day with my lil girl

August 26th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I don't feel I have a right to put holes in my child's body without her permission. They don't always close back up, so it's not really "reversible".

I will wait until they are old enough to ask for AND take care of them herself.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

August 27th, 2008, 09:01 AM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know that a lot of the hispanic people just do it as a matter of course, guess it's a cultural thing. I think it's cute when little girls have earrings in and I believe that's totally up to the parents to decide. However, I agree with Kelli, personally. I think piercing your body is a decision that should be made by the person getting the piercing when they are old enough to decide that for themselves. I wouldn't do it to my little girls but if they ask later, I'll have no problem letting them, and taking them, to get it done.
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
August 27th, 2008, 11:19 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will wait till she asks and is old enough to take care of them. I was made to get mine in 3rd grade (I was huge tomboy and didn't want them-they hurt under my helmets). I don't think I can make someone get them-no matter what the age. But with that said I can see why some people do, do it. I only know one girl without her ears pierced so MOST likely the girl will want them so I can see why doing them as a baby would work.
August 27th, 2008, 08:08 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I won't do them as an infant...I will let my daughter get hers when she asks for them and I think she's responsible enough. Honestly I don't really like them on babies but that's my personal opinion, not that I mind if OTHER people do it lol! Just not my thing.

August 27th, 2008, 08:54 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree that it's not my place to decide to punch holes into my child's body. When they're old enough to ask for them, understand that the piercing is going to hurt, and to help take care of them...then we'll make a fun day of it.
August 30th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I don't have a problem when other people do it, but I won't. I have a strange collection of piercings in one ear (they form a triangle...I just did it to be different), and that kind of stuff might be messed up by a piercing that is centered in a tiny baby ear. Thats my main concern I guess is that if I were to pick the location of her first earring, she wouldn't be able to be creative if she wanted to later. FTR I don't even wear earrings anymore

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
August 30th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We won't until our daughter requests that she wants earings. I remember going with my Mom and cousin when I was 7 to get mine done. I don't have a problem with other people's decision to do it earlier, just not what we chose for our daughter

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search