Is this even possible...?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 2nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a good friend who is expecting #3 - I just learned that she'll be being induced on Thursday. She'll be exactly 38 weeks. (She was never planning a home birth, by the way...I just knew that I could vent about this here. )

The doctor has told her that her baby is just going to be HUGE, of course, because her other two were 8- and 9-pounders. He also told her that after you have a couple of kids, there's apparently room in there for your babe to just turn somersaults right up until delivery. This little one has been breech and back several times in the past few months - she told me that she flipped around three times *today*. Umm...is that even possible?!

SO. She's going in on Thursday morning, and IF babe is head down, they'll induce. IF babe is breech or transverse, doc will do an external version and then induce. If the version fails, he'll give her Cervidil, let her rest overnight, and try the version again in the morning. And if it STILL fails...wheeeee, off for a C-section she'll go.

Does this sound strange to anyone else? Especially for a mama who's only 38 weeks? And we all know how accurate ultrasound sizing is. I'm just livid for her - but she says she's just done being pregnant and ready to have her new little one here, however it's done. Poor mama, I hate that she hasn't done her research - but two days before the induction, I didn't really feel it was my place to lecture her either.

Incidentally, I transferred AWAY from this very same doctor 30 weeks into my first pregnancy - and thank God for it! With my 8 lb, 5 oz baby girl that didn't want to come out when she was induced five days past her due date...he'd have cut me for sure. And then Milly would've been an HBAC instead of a plain ol' home birth...

Thanks for letting me vent. Send some quick and easy (and minimal intervention) vibes her way on Thursday, please...
September 2nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
poor mama, I am not sure if thats possible, but I guess anything could be

I too would have wanted to give her advise and help educate her, but like you said 2 days is not enough time. I hope she has an easy labor and doesn't need to much intervention.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

September 3rd, 2008, 02:12 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes they can turn-even while in labor-its not really common though for a big baby (and when I say big I mean over 10.5lbs). If baby is still flipping around then its probably not that big.
But if she is sitting at the doctors office complaining she is done being pregnant then most doctors in the states will induce at 38 weeks. (THIS is the thing that doctors listen for and give the best customer service for )
September 3rd, 2008, 06:05 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
That sounds really really stupid to me! She's only 38 weeks holy crap, even if the baby is breech it still has another month to turn! And I honestly don't believe that they flip around THAT much.

Even last time when I knew I was having my baby in the hospital I wouldn't even have considered an induction except that it was a medical emergency. It really bothers me a lot and I get so mad that I try not to think about it.
September 3rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know what you mean about not saying anything now. Its sad to know shes going in because shes "done". Hell, I have days that I'm done but I would never consider getting an induction.

If the baby isn't ready, it'll more then likely end up in a c-section. I hate how doctors are willing to induce so early if there isn't a reason too. The size comment is bologna to me. While I may have ended up with the birth from hell my first time, my OB was awesome. Very informative, helpful and listened to me. Never pushed induction or a c-section. He wasn't at my birth which is why I feel like it ended up the way it did.

I am sending my thoughts her way that everything goes smoothly and she avoids a c-section.

edited for spelling

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
September 5th, 2008, 08:08 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just got a phone call about an hour ago - her baby girl is here and they're both doing well!

After 26 hours of induced labor and two epidurals (the first one didn't work.) I am SHOCKED that she didn't have the C-section, but grateful that she avoided it. She certainly went through enough.

Anyway...thanks for your thoughts. I can't wait to go and get my hands on her new little girl tomorrow!
September 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
wow, I am glad she was able to avoided a c-section

Congrats to her! Enjoy the baby

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

September 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad her little one is here and doing well and that she avoided the c-section.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search