Group Strep B?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
WWYD if you were GSB positive? That was one of the things my midwife mentioned during my 1st appointment. She said there were natural remedies, dietary things and herbs that you can do, plus some kind of douche that is made out of medical soap and water that you use every six hours during labor. She doesn't do IV antibiotics or anything. I haven't been tested yet of course because I'm only 22 weeks-ish but it still kind of freaks me out!!! I wouldn't want to transfer to an OB or anything...I know it's pretty rare anyways. I didn't have it last time so I'm really hoping I don't have it this time either so I just don't have to worry about it!
September 3rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I use homebirthing Doctors and even they don't test for GBS. They just advise eliminating sugar from your diet and taking probiotics a few week prior to delivery if you want to. They are careful to watch baby for any signs of infection at birth to make sure all is healthy and well.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
September 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
booboobunny's Avatar mzdee
Yea i don't think most HB midwives test for it. But i had with my last pregnancy and i know that its possibilty i could have it again this time. I've heard of several things they might do which is washing with Hibiclens, taking antibotics before hand, probiotics, and they do something with garlic. With my labor in the hospital they gave me antibotics either right before or after my water broke. i believe its only a concern when membranes rupture and you don't deliver within a certain time frame. i'm in the process of switching to my HB midwife and i'm not sure what her procedures are but hopefully i will get to find out soon !!!

Me - Daynuh

September 4th, 2008, 12:33 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't plan to even test for it. But if you do test positive (you can have a homebirth with a pos) its not a high risk thing. I would do the hibaclens and continue on probiotics (i'm on them now and love them!). And just watch baby for signs of possible infection ( very rare a baby gets it even if mom has it). If they did get it then yep they get antibiotics.
September 4th, 2008, 08:56 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto on the Hybicleanse and probiotics. My midwife DID test for it, although she left the decision up to me. There's no way I'd have given up my home birth if I had been positive, though.
September 4th, 2008, 09:54 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Yeah I really don't see myself giving up having a home birth just to have IV antibiotics, yuck! I really do NOT want to go to the hospital. I'm definitely going to get tested for it, but I'll hold off till about 37 weeks because I doubt I'll have this baby early. If I do have it I want to know so I can at least take preventative natural measures.
September 4th, 2008, 10:11 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
My midwives test for it...not sure if I want to be tested or not. (If you are + they will administered the IV antibiotics to you....that's what scares me, if I am + having an IV hooked up to me, I hate needles and think that it would freak me out, a small reason I want home birth, so maybe I'll waive that test too? Any suggestions?)

September 4th, 2008, 01:17 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My MW's test for it. The only reason they test for it is because if there is an emergency or if for some reason I choose to go to the hospital then its something the hospital "needs" to know. So they figure they'll just do it before hand to save me from any possible troubles down the line. If I were to come back + then we most likely wont do anything. Just because you test negative at 37w doesnt mean you cant become positive at 39w right before you give birth. My mw's monitor the baby for signs/complications from GBS no matter if I'm + or -. Also from what I understand the same percentage of babies are effected by GBS no matter what the mother's tests results and treatment.

If you have the chance to read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth then check out Chapter 5. It talks about it.

September 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I need to buy that book~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search