Gestational Diabetes--

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Super Mommy
Well, long story short-- I went to my backup Dr's appointment today. First time with this doctor, and they wanted to do a Glucose test, which I agreed to. (I didn't realize this before going, so I wonder if my breakfast threw it off?)

An hour later, they tell me I failed miserably, and I have to take the 3 hr test, which was scheduled for tomorrow. My hemoglobin was very low as well, so I'm now on an Iron prescription.

I called my MW, and asked if she'll still do a homebirth, if I have diabetes as bad as they think I do. She said I'd have to see how the 3 hr test results look, and ask my Dr to see what he says. (Thank god he's very Pro-homebirth!) So if he says I'm in the clear, it'll be ok. She didn't sound too positive about it though.

I wanted to cry all day-- and I'm freaking out.

Do you guys think I could still stand a chance for a homebirth? Please be completely honest, I don't want to get my hopes up if there's not a chance in the world.

Also- I know nothing about GD so far-- lets say my Dr and MW say I can still have my homebirth, and I do infact have GD; Do you think I'll have to be induced early? My LO has been measuring 2-3 weeks big for awhile now....

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0ruUTi/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a></div>
September 8th, 2008, 09:36 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It totally depends on your results. And it depends on what the treatment is...if you are able to use diet to control it you'll most likely still be fine with a homebirth. If you need pills it could go both ways. If you need insulin shots-most likely your not going to able to do homebirth. Google GD diets and start it NOW (and stick to it) hopefully it will help a little by tomorrows test. good luck and keep us posted!
September 9th, 2008, 09:26 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I recall correctly the GTT is (at least in my area) a fasting test, you should not have had food for at least 8 preferably 12 hours before taking it. That said I urge you to do some serious research before consenting to the 3 hour test. If you are as extremely diabetic as they say you are, imagine what havoc a 12 hour fast followed by thee snickers bars would do? You would never ask that of any nonpregnant diabetic, it's a recipe for absolute disaster!

I have personally seen what happens when a 3 hour test goes wrong. I've seen moms go into shock because of the sugar overload, and I've heard the birth stories of extremely premature babies who would still be tucked safely in the womb were it not for this test. Just ask at your lab if you are allowed to leave. I would put money on the fact that they will tell you no, that you have to stay there for observation "in case anything happens" and leave it at that.

Good luck.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

September 9th, 2008, 09:13 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would ask if you could retake the test. Get thee to CVS & buy a $15 monitor (they have one on sale now for $14.99 with an extra care card that gives you $5 back! ). Test your blood sugar faithfully multiple times a day, keeping track of what you eat& when - see what it says. Test in the am before bfast (as your "fasting" test), and again after bfast (1 hour after, and 3 hours after - 1 hour will be your peak, and 3 hours will be your levelled results). Do this for at LEAST a week & Take the results to you rdr. Its a far more accurate indication of your GD status than the blood glucose test & every dr knows this - they do the glucose test b/c its controllable, quick & easy & they dont have to educate you on the ins & outs of testing your sugar. its not that hard though.

Test that way for a week, and like i said - keep notes every day about what you eat & when. Test 1 hour after meals, and again 3 hours after meals. It'll feel like a PITA at first, but if it spares you the 3 hour test, and secures your homebirth candidacy, its totally worth it

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search