Don't want to have a homebirth where I'm at...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM
~Jackie
Yo all, I'm a previous member here (same name as when I left a month ago), here on JM that is, I rarely posted on the homebirth board. Anyway, we're planning our first homebirth and I am SO excited about it. Thing is, I do not like where we live!! We will have our homebirth in our apartment, but it's just not what I envisioned for a homebirth

We live on the 3rd floor so I'm annoyed with all the stairs. I'm also afraid that a birth pool will cause the floor to collapse (am I being way paranoid here or is that possible? ). The second day we moved in there were gnats. We can NEVER get rid of them. THey are in the kitchen and in my bathroom. This makes me feel so... gross, and we do NOT live dirty at all. Any idea on how to get rid of them? I'm just not happy with where we are!!! Any suggestions on how to make my home a happier place for me to look forward to?
September 10th, 2008, 02:10 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As far as the tub breaking the flooring, I don't think they'll do that. I believe Apartments are built to withstand heavy objects like that, such as all the stuff that you can imagine would go into an apartment that is heavy.

For the gnats, we get them from time to time as well. Mainly in summer and we don't live dirty either. I have to hunt down where they're coming from. Have you called a local bug company to ask for suggests to rid them yourself? I googled it before and I can't remember what site it was.

Aside from those, what else about your home bothers you? I am going through the phase that my house bothers me. I'm doing everything i can to rid those things. Such as while we have a lot of space, we don't have a lot of storage. So, I have a lot of random things cluttering my upstairs. That stresses me out. I'm going through room by room (if you read my gripe haha), throwing away what we don't need/want, sorting for donating and storing what we do want but won't use right away.

I made a list of what I could think of what was bothering me and we are slowly tackling everything we can when we have the chance.

Hopefully this helps. I know how you feel. My house doesn't feel like a house to me right now.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
September 10th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Regular
Hi Nature Lovin Mama. I had a homebirth in an apt several years ago and it did not bother me at all. I was very happy with my experience. In fact, it was the most powerful and spiritual out of all my births. Because it was not my home, I sent my frozen placenta home with my mom to be buried on family ground under a new tree. =) I lit several candles and my husband played pure moods in the background. It was quite lovely.

Anyway, my sister lives clean and she has also had the gnat problem several times. She had to keep all fruits and vegetables in the fridge and could not let bananas ripen on the counter. She also had to get rid of all of her houseplants because they seemed to attract them too. She was not able to keep a daily compost bowl on her counter and she had to make sure that garbage went out daily. Is it possible to have your apt complex come in and spray for you before the baby is born??

As far as the pool, I would not think that it would be a problem, but maybe some other people with more experience with upper floors could reassure you.

And just so you know. My labor started in the middle of the day and lasted until about 1am. My bedroom was just below the master bedroom of my friend and she had no clue that I had had a baby in the middle of the night. Noise was not an issue for us.

I wish you the best of luck.
Expecting #4 in February!!
</div>

<div align="center"></div>
September 10th, 2008, 03:01 PM
~Jackie
Great suggestions!

With my energy gone in the 1st trimester and with my energy now back, but now I'm working, I have no time to clean like I want to. DH does a great job keeping up on the kitchen, but I wish I had more time to vaccum and mop like I wanted to. I can't keep up on the laundry for the life of me. We need a new dryer that we cannot afford, so all of our clothes take FOREVER to dry and they stink because of it (horrible!), so that makes me feel gross. I don't like how our bedroom is set-up yet I have no other options because of where cable cords etc are placed kwim?

I'm beginning to think the majority of my problems here are cosmetic... LOL!

Oh, and calling my apt. complex to fix something? Are you kidding me? We have had THE WORST SERVICE EVER here. I have been trying to get them to fix our fridge that has leaked water since the day we moved in and they still haven't done it (2 1/2 months later!).
September 10th, 2008, 03:11 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
There should be no problem with a pool in an apt.

Found this in an article about gnats, its pretty much what Tanya said though.

Quote:
Of all the flying pests, gnats might be the most annoying. Though they're harmless, they hover and buzz around our heads, driving us crazy. Gnats are also known as vinegar flies or fruit flies because of their attraction to the smell of rotten food. This explains why they particularly enjoy the areas around drains and trash cans.

Gnats are most commonly found around fruit, saturated house plants, compost piles, and other rotting, smelly food or plants. The problem is there's no such thing as one gnat. In fact, one gnat can lay two to three hundred eggs in its two to four month life span. If you frequently see gnats hovering around your sink drain or trash can, there's a good chance they're laying eggs inside your home.

If you don't want gnats around, you have to cut off their food supply. This means fruits and vegetables have to go in the refrigerator or a bin the bugs can't penetrate. Make sure house plants stay damp, but not wet, and they must have the proper drainage. Gnats just love over-watered house plants. Empty trashcans regularly and don't allow rotting food to sit in the house. Make sure all trash receptacles and sink drains are cleaned thoroughly, and don't have any old rancid food stuck to them. Never let dirty dishes stand in the sink.

Your best recourse is chemicals. The supermarket and hardware stores have several flying insect spray options for you to choose from. Just about any one of these will take care of your gnat problem. Be sure to check the back of the label to make certain it isn't harmful to pets. If your home is experiencing an all-out infestation, you may need to look into a fogging product. This will require you to seal off cabinets and anywhere else food and eating implements are stored. Be sure to take the pets and leave the house for the day.

You can also get rid of gnats by using products found around the home. Since they are attracted to the scent of vinegar, fill a jar with vinegar and poke holes in the lid. The gnats will climb into the jar, but they won't be able to climb out. For those that remain in the house, try putting vegetable oil around your kitchen sink drain. Gnats finding themselves coated in the oil will be unable to breed. If you're not interested in potentially clogging your drain with vegetable oil, pouring a cup of ammonia down your kitchen sink is said to get rid of any flies hovering around that area. Let it sit for a couple of hours before using the sink again.

Gnats are a source of irritation for many, but you don't have to let this happen to you. Dispose of food properly and don't over water your house plants. If gnats do get in the house, act quickly before one or two bugs become an infestation. Save your irritation for something else... like mosquitoes.[/b]
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
September 10th, 2008, 03:17 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
There should be no problem with a pool in an apt.

Found this in an article about gnats, its pretty much what Tanya said though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Of all the flying pests, gnats might be the most annoying. Though they're harmless, they hover and buzz around our heads, driving us crazy. Gnats are also known as vinegar flies or fruit flies because of their attraction to the smell of rotten food. This explains why they particularly enjoy the areas around drains and trash cans.

Gnats are most commonly found around fruit, saturated house plants, compost piles, and other rotting, smelly food or plants. The problem is there's no such thing as one gnat. In fact, one gnat can lay two to three hundred eggs in its two to four month life span. If you frequently see gnats hovering around your sink drain or trash can, there's a good chance they're laying eggs inside your home.

If you don't want gnats around, you have to cut off their food supply. This means fruits and vegetables have to go in the refrigerator or a bin the bugs can't penetrate. Make sure house plants stay damp, but not wet, and they must have the proper drainage. Gnats just love over-watered house plants. Empty trashcans regularly and don't allow rotting food to sit in the house. Make sure all trash receptacles and sink drains are cleaned thoroughly, and don't have any old rancid food stuck to them. Never let dirty dishes stand in the sink.

Your best recourse is chemicals. The supermarket and hardware stores have several flying insect spray options for you to choose from. Just about any one of these will take care of your gnat problem. Be sure to check the back of the label to make certain it isn't harmful to pets. If your home is experiencing an all-out infestation, you may need to look into a fogging product. This will require you to seal off cabinets and anywhere else food and eating implements are stored. Be sure to take the pets and leave the house for the day.

You can also get rid of gnats by using products found around the home. Since they are attracted to the scent of vinegar, fill a jar with vinegar and poke holes in the lid. The gnats will climb into the jar, but they won't be able to climb out. For those that remain in the house, try putting vegetable oil around your kitchen sink drain. Gnats finding themselves coated in the oil will be unable to breed. If you're not interested in potentially clogging your drain with vegetable oil, pouring a cup of ammonia down your kitchen sink is said to get rid of any flies hovering around that area. Let it sit for a couple of hours before using the sink again.

Gnats are a source of irritation for many, but you don't have to let this happen to you. Dispose of food properly and don't over water your house plants. If gnats do get in the house, act quickly before one or two bugs become an infestation. Save your irritation for something else... like mosquitoes.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Thanks SOOO much for that! I have done everything with our food and garbage bin (even going out and buying a new one) and still have them. So I'm going to try the Vinegar trick and the Vegetable oil. I hate the darn things.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
September 10th, 2008, 03:48 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Sorry you don't like your home I too live in an apartment and will be having our home birth here.

Tanya, your home birth with candles and music sounds like my dream home birth, granted I am in labor/deliver over night

Thanks for the gnat help, Jen!! I am so doing that!!

September 10th, 2008, 04:33 PM
~Jackie
That was great info! Thanks

Dh and I have our heart set on a home so bad and it's not going to happen before this baby is born, and I think that is also the source of my unhappiness. I want a home and apartments just don't feel like home anymore. We are ready to settle down.... I just need to find ways to make our apartment more homey for the time being and deal with it.
September 10th, 2008, 06:58 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Hmmm...I mean, if you're 12 weeks you have plenty of time to figure this out right!? If you don't want to buy a house or can't right now, is renting a house an option? I don't think having a HB in an apartment is a big deal, but it sounds like you are really unhappy with the situation in general. I would be lookin for a new place!
September 11th, 2008, 10:40 AM
~Jackie
Quote:
Hmmm...I mean, if you're 12 weeks you have plenty of time to figure this out right!? If you don't want to buy a house or can't right now, is renting a house an option? I don't think having a HB in an apartment is a big deal, but it sounds like you are really unhappy with the situation in general. I would be lookin for a new place![/b]
We JUST moved in a few weeks before I got my BFP and I cannot find ANY houses for rent around here We are considering moving into the complex that I was pregnant at with Kailey. That was more of a townhome, was huge and is within our price range now that both of us are working. I need to call them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search