We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Hi there i'm Sarah, i'm not currently pregnant but my first child, Jackson was born February 28th via c-section in our oh-so lovely hospital. (note the sarcasm) Anyhow i have lurked here for awhile but got discourage early in my pregnancy with DS because i have a bleeding disorder and people thought i was absolutely out of my mind to even suggest such a thing as homebirth. So i went to my ob and my specialist and everything was totally fine until about 29 weeks when my blood pressure went up alot and i started to have swelling. Dr.'s said i was pre-eclamptic and scheduled my induction at 38 weeks. I tried every natural way to get labor going before i allowed them to break my water, then i labored naturally for about 10 hours then they said i was not progressing so they started the pitocin, i labored that way for another 30 hours. I was still not progressing, they said it was because i was not relaxed enough so they recommended the epidural, so i got it, still did not progress and then they said my son was getting a severely mis-shapen head and my waters had been broken for so long so they did a c-section. I wish so much that i had just refused the induction like my gut told me to. I felt very uncomfortable with it, i felt totally fine, my blood counts were good and my bp had gone back to normal the week i was induced. I was planning a natural, vaginal birth and got the complete opposite. This is why i would really love to have a homebirth but now i have all these high-risk factors. Do you think that it is even a possibility for me to have a homebirth with my next baby?
So here's the run down of my issues:
Von Willebrands disease - I have a VERY mild form of this. Basically my body doesn't produce enough of a clotting factor so i have a hard time to stopping bleeding (in theory) although i haven't had any problems with it since i was a child. Plus during pregnancy the clotting factor & platelet count rise but then fall immediately after birth so the real risk is to me and not my child and only after delivery. I did see a perinatologist for monitoring of the disease.
C-Section - speaks for itself. I am adament that i WILL have a VBAC whether its at home or not, i will not be having another c-section unless it is an emergency which my first one was clearly not.
PIH - I wish i would have stuck to my guns about this not being a ligit reason for induction. It was very mild case of PIH and my bp went down alot the week i was induced.
And right now i am overweight but by the time i have my next one i don't plan on having this issue, but just in case i still have not lost the weight would this also cause problems?
Wow sorry this turned out so long, thanks for reading and any advice or suggestions!
Yeah...me too! I am just really not familiar with your medical problems, especially the bleeding thing.
If I were you I would just find a midwife in your area and have a consult with her. All the ones I found do free consults so they can make sure you are eligible for a home birth and you can decide if you feel comfortable with them.
Katie- mom to Aden (5) Phineas (3) and Phoebe Violet (1)
Sorry that I'm not any help either, Sarah (I think I remember you from TTC #1, like you just graduated after I started posting ) But I agree with Katie, find a midwife (s) in your area and talk to them and see what they say I know we were worried about the possibility of twins, since they are in my family and I was on fertility meds, and we asked to see if they would take us if we had twins, unfortunately they couldn't, but we're not having twins and we're actually thankful since we love our midwives! Good luck and I hope you can find a midwife who is willing to allow you to have the birth you want/dream~ (I know my midwives will allow clients with slight conditions and have them see a back up OB every once in a while to check their condition, like for GD or something and there's a lot of natural remedies that can/will help situations too)
It has taken me a bit today to make my way to this board. I also am not completely familiar with your issues. I had a c-section and will be having an HBAC in November.
I'm not familiar with your clotting or your PIH. I would contact a midwife who does home births and have a consultation with her. Have a copy of your medical records for her so she can look over them. She could give you the best idea if you are a good candidate for a home birth.
Hopefully you can get some good news. Keep us updated
I don't like the idea of c-section and trouble clotting. I think you should try to get a home birth or birthing center and have a doula and refuse medical interventions. You don't have to do anything they tell you.
I don't like the idea of c-section and trouble clotting. I think you should try to get a home birth or birthing center and have a doula and refuse medical interventions. You don't have to do anything they tell you.[/b]
Well, thats what i thought. I figured that a c-section would be the absolute last resort for emergency only because of my bleeding history but they did a platelet count and it was a-ok so they gave me the epi and then i had the section. I have found a couple birthing centers in my area (well the closest ones are an hour away) and i think DH might be more open to having a birth center bith than a home birth. We would just have to decide which one to go to. We have one in Taos which is an hour to the north and pretty rural and some in albuquerque which is an hour to the south and is a big city.
And i had read so many time that doctors are working for us and that i am in charge and that what they say doesn't HAVE to be done and i wish so much i would have trusted my body instead of feeling like i HAD to cooperate.
Thanks again for all your replies.