For those of you who've had a home birth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2008, 07:49 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What is a piece of advice you'd like to pass along to those of us who haven't had our home births yet?

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
September 14th, 2008, 09:15 AM
~Jackie
Good question!
September 14th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
photos... take lots of pictures. I have a few of labor and delivery and of course a bunch of photos of Kate as a newborn... but I still wish there were more. So thats my advice, take lots of pictures... even if you don't think you'll ever share them with anyone... take them.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
September 14th, 2008, 02:27 PM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had concerns that I would be distracted (negatively) if my house wasn't perfect but picking up and cleaning was actually a PLEASANT distraction during my labor.

I thought having my children at home while I labored and birthed was a GREAT thing, though I'd had concerns about that too.

If you feel like you're being "watched" by people (your midwife, family, whoever) leave the room or have them leave. Make sure YOU are comfortable. You're not there as THEIR hostess on birth day! It's OK to go off alone when you need to.

If you are using a birth pool set it up as soon as you're sure you are in labor and have it ready to fill so you'll have it when you need it.

When you first go into labor and things are easy, clean up and tidy your birth space..whether it be your bedroom or wherever. It makes it so much more peaceful and pleasant during and after the birth.

If you feel like you want to speed things up...DO go for a walk or climb the stairs. The stairs really did a number on me!

Take advantage of water, whether it be a shower, bath, or birthing tub. It will relax you, lower your blood pressure, and ease the "pain".

I'm sure I have lots more little tidbits but my mind is blanking out right now. If I think of anything stellar I'll post here again! :-)

ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
September 14th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Regular
Emergen-C was a great drink that my midwife introduced to me while I was in labor to help me keep up my strength and hydration after throwing up. I have been buying and drinking it ever since!!

I also cleaned while in labor, it really was a good distraction.

Make sure to have extra batteries and an extra memory card for camera on hand and that your photographer knows where they are. I learned this the hard way. If your chilren are going to be there, taking photos is a great task for them. I taught my six year old son how to use the camcorder when I was in my final months of my last pregnancy. He did a great job. You would never know that a six year old did my birth video. I will have my seven year old dd take the photos this time and I will also find a task for my three year old. (Like refilling my water or something to help her to feel included.

Try to eat something light and healthy in the early stages of labor to help keep up your energy and make sure that you have healthy foods on hand to eat during and after labor. Watermelon sounds like a GREAT laboring food but I am sure that it won't be sold when I birth in February, lol.

If you want to make a tree of life stamp out of your placenta, have the acid free paper on hand. If you are planning on using paint, have that on hand too. My midwives did my stamps for me while the placenta was still out.

Expecting #4 in February!!
</div>

<div align="center"></div>
September 14th, 2008, 04:10 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Keep it coming ladies! That's some good advice so far
September 14th, 2008, 09:38 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama

September 15th, 2008, 12:46 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Emergen-C was a great drink that my midwife introduced to me while I was in labor to help me keep up my strength and hydration after throwing up. I have been buying and drinking it ever since!!

Make sure to have extra batteries and an extra memory card for camera on hand and that your photographer knows where they are. I learned this the hard way. If your chilren are going to be there, taking photos is a great task for them. I taught my six year old son how to use the camcorder when I was in my final months of my last pregnancy. He did a great job. You would never know that a six year old did my birth video. I will have my seven year old dd take the photos this time and I will also find a task for my three year old. (Like refilling my water or something to help her to feel included.

Try to eat something light and healthy in the early stages of labor to help keep up your energy and make sure that you have healthy foods on hand to eat during and after labor. Watermelon sounds like a GREAT laboring food but I am sure that it won't be sold when I birth in February, lol.

If you want to make a tree of life stamp out of your placenta, have the acid free paper on hand. If you are planning on using paint, have that on hand too. My midwives did my stamps for me while the placenta was still out.[/b]
Whats a tree of life stamp and can you show us yours?
September 15th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Keep them coming ladies! Great advice so far

Killian's Birth Story
September 16th, 2008, 07:43 AM
booboobunny's Avatar mzdee
good info !!!!

Me - Daynuh

September 17th, 2008, 11:34 AM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made a GREAT steak fajita while I was in labor...actually about an hour & a half before I actually had Liberty. I say...go light if you need to on food but if you want...have a big ol' protein filled meal! I enjoyed cooking for myself during labor. Oh...make sure you have food you LOVE for after the birth. You're going to be REALLY hungry afterwards (well, I was each time!). For some reason my favorite thing to eat after birth are bagels and cream cheese (not usually my fave) and fruit. Make sure you have lots of favorites around when you go into labor or send out someone to get stuff! Have plenty of food for your midwife and helpers...they need plenty of energy too, esp. if it's a LONG labor.
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
September 17th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
Quote:

If you want to make a tree of life stamp out of your placenta, have the acid free paper on hand. If you are planning on using paint, have that on hand too. My midwives did my stamps for me while the placenta was still out.[/b]
Thanks for sharing. I have emergen C now I know to use it in labor.

September 17th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My labor/delivery was SUPER fast (less than 5 hours from waking up that morning until the birth!) so for me it was all about letting DH know to just to let me do my own thing!

I thought I'd maybe like water this time around but didn't......... I thought I might want to sit on the birth ball and have DH rub my back...TOTALLY didn't! (In fact, I yelled at him to leave me alone and don't touch me! LOL Most of my labor was transition!)......I though I'd want my DD around during labor and DEFINITELY didn't!....... I ended up laboring in a VERY small part of my bathroom on the toilet for the majority of the time and it was WONDERFUL...

Don't be afraid to vocalize if you want to! Make sure it's LOOOOW type noises and not high shrieking - open mouth, open bottom but if you tighten up your jaw to shriek, it usually closes up and tightens your birthing areas too so be aware of that!

Be flexible, do what you need to do - make sure your support people know that YOU are the star of the show! Also, make sure you have all of your supplies out and ready somewhere! I had all of mine on the changing table in the room I ended up giving birth in!
Keep an open mind and be proud of what you are doing for your little one!
September 26th, 2008, 06:23 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
Quote:
photos... take lots of pictures. I have a few of labor and delivery and of course a bunch of photos of Kate as a newborn... but I still wish there were more. So thats my advice, take lots of pictures... even if you don't think you'll ever share them with anyone... take them.[/b]
I ditto that! I have no pictures because DH was downstairs looking after DD the whole time.. I should have planned it with him that he comes up and checks in on us and take a few picture every now and then!

Quote:
If you feel like you're being "watched" by people (your midwife, family, whoever) leave the room or have them leave. Make sure YOU are comfortable. You're not there as THEIR hostess on birth day! It's OK to go off alone when you need to.[/b]
LOL I had the blinds opened in my room during the whole birth process and insteda of asking people to close them I spent most of my pushing phase worrying about how much people outside could see!

Quote:
I made a GREAT steak fajita while I was in labor...actually about an hour & a half before I actually had Liberty. I say...go light if you need to on food but if you want...have a big ol' protein filled meal! I enjoyed cooking for myself during labor. Oh...make sure you have food you LOVE for after the birth. You're going to be REALLY hungry afterwards (well, I was each time!). For some reason my favorite thing to eat after birth are bagels and cream cheese (not usually my fave) and fruit. Make sure you have lots of favorites around when you go into labor or send out someone to get stuff! Have plenty of food for your midwife and helpers...they need plenty of energy too, esp. if it's a LONG labor.[/b]
I sent DH out to buy some steaks and had him cook them on the barbecue... I ended up throwing up my whole supper while in transition... but still... I'm glad I had something heavy in my stomach to throw up... with my first birth I felt the need to throw up and had nothing in my stomach... which made it a lot more uncomfortable!!
October 3rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A definite ditto on taking lots and lots of pictures. No one else has to see them, but you'll want them when it's all over.

Have a doula, if you can. Mine was WONDERFUL for doing the little nitpicky things (fetching food, laundry, etc.)

Have a bowl handy in case you get nauseous, so you won't have to get out of a comfy position to run for the bathroom. But then, of the best memories of my labor was watching my doula RUN from the kitchen and DIVE for the birthing pool with a bowl for me. She was awesome - she actually made it!

Have a plan ready for who will be called and when after the baby arrives. DON'T stress yourself out with too many visitors at once! My midwife hung a note on the door to tell guests that I needed to rest (with the baby!) and to please limit visits to fifteen minutes. This was *wonderful* as I have a very hard time fighting the urge to play hostess - never mind actually asking people to leave.

Most of all...just listen to yourself. This is your show, and things need to go your way. Be flexible, but be firm when telling your support team what you want or need. And relax when the big moment arrives, and enjoy it. Sounds funny to tell someone to ENJOY their labor...but wow, it really is incredible doing it at home.
October 3rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for all the great advice!

My midwife will have one of her apprentices with her and there is a possibility there will be another attending our birth. She said that one of them can take tons of pictures for us. I'm excited.

I think I'm going to ask to have this thread as a sticky!

Killian's Birth Story
October 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Super Mommy
Be prepared for a quick labor, even if this is your first baby.

Mine entire was 4.5 hrs from first contraction to baby. My midwife got to my house five minutes before DD was born. Two homebirthin' mamas I know ended up having their partners catch the baby because they called the midwife so late into labor thinking they had much more time. It turned out well, the midwives arrived minutes after the birth in each case and the babies and mamas were fine.

Earn free Amazon gift cards with SWAGBUCKS!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search