Do you think you'll have a fast labor?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2008, 03:47 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
My chiropractor made the comment the other day that my labor will probably be much faster since I'm having a homebirth. I was like....well I guess it will be super fast then! Last time it was 10 hours total, and that is pretty darn amazing considering everything involved (only 37 weeks, magnesium combined with pit, 1st time mom, etc).

I'm thinking I'll call my midwife the second I feel a strong contraction! There is a mama in our local AP group that just had her homebirth, and she said she had her first strong contraction and the baby was born TWO HOURS later!

September 27th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
I can't imagine fast after having a 31 hour labor but they gave me pitocin in the hospital and wouldn't let me walk. Is there any way to make a fast labor? Staying active in pregnancy?

September 27th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
For my first birth, my water was leaking so they induced me, I was forced to stay in bed and it lasted 25 hours from the time my water started leaking

for my home birth my water broke and I had my baby 5 hours later, I didn't do much walking or anything, but I was way more relaxed and wasn't being forced to have my baby

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

September 28th, 2008, 01:45 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Honestly I have no idea....since this is baby numbero uno for me. I've heard that labor lengths are somewhat genetic...I was baby #1 for my mom and her labor was about 8 hours or so. I'm thinking guessing mine may be around 12-14 hours? I have no clue. Anyone got any ideas or guesses? Or ways to tell whether or not you'll have a short or long labor? (I read somewhere before about how much you sleep in the 3rd trimester influences your labor length...the more you sleep the shorter the labor and the less you slept the longer, this makes sense cause if you're tired it's harder and takes longer to get the baby out)

September 28th, 2008, 07:30 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I think with home births in general labor is shorter, even for 1st time moms. You are in your OWN environment, you can deal with the contractions without the added stress of being in the hospital and having to deal with annoying doctors and nurses, etc.

A lot of women progress very quickly and just fine on their own, but as soon as they get to the hospital their labor stalls. Then of course you just HAVE to have pitocin...and it goes downhill from there.
September 28th, 2008, 09:22 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
My first baby was 28 hours, my 2nd was 32 hrs (really big baby 10 1/2 pounds and shoulder dystocia). All my babies since then (minus the two csections) have been less than 7-8 hours.
#12 is on the way
September 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Well, my homebirth labor started on a tuesday and ended at 1:48am on a friday. Kinda long... LOL. But with that being said, the HARD part of labor lasted less than 3 hours.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
September 28th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Super Mommy
Both of mine have been Home Births. My first was 21 hours total (8 hours active) my second was MUCH faster. I never even had time to feel ready, at 3 in the morning I was uncomfortable. I had some contractions starting at 4, at about 4:30 I thought that I might be in labor, and the baby was born at 6:30AM. So about 1 1/2 hours active labor, 2 1/2 from "maybe" to "baby".
September 28th, 2008, 05:46 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hm, I'm not sure. I've heard that as well but I don't know how much to really go off of it. My first was a 23 hour labor and more then likely was going to be longer but they took him by section. It would have been longer because he was posterior.

I hope it's quicker but not that quick.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
October 1st, 2008, 01:37 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nope, I had a long labor and while I wouldn't mind a shorter one I really feel like my body needs the time to do its thing.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

October 1st, 2008, 03:44 PM
Super Mommy
I have a feeling mine will last less than 10 hours. We shall see though! I don't want it to go TOO fast-- We'll need to get the birthing pool ready! haha

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0ruUTi/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a></div>
October 3rd, 2008, 09:00 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There's no way to know for sure, but it's fun to speculate.

My home birth was definitely faster than with my first daughter - of course, she was born in a hospital, which meant Pitocin and strapped to a bed. It was 15 1/2 hours with her (from the time of induction), and 7 1/2 (from the first good contraction) with Amelia. Maybe a combo of second child and home birth? Not sure, but that was a great time frame for me.
October 5th, 2008, 06:05 PM
booboobunny's Avatar mzdee
My first labor was 21 hours. But i keep getting this feeling that this labor will be a lot and faster and take us by surprise. I'm thinking because this time will be a lot different since this isn't my first baby. I'm more informed, i will be in my own environment, i will start doing exercises to make sure the baby is in the right position, and i won't have a lot of company around who could possibly hinder my labor !

Me - Daynuh

October 6th, 2008, 08:21 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
i know that i'll have a fast labour. and i can't wait.

my first child was born at 38 weeks, in exactly 2 hours, 22 minutes (at a horrible hospital, unfortunately). he was 8-4, and i was 19, so i was kind of surprised. my mother's labour with me (firstborn) was 20-some hours, and i was expecting that for myself. i was asleep, when the first contraction hit, and when i opened my eyes, the first thing i saw was 9:40 on the clock in front of me. by 11:50, i was 6 cm, and several contractions later, i was pushing. my son was born two minutes after noon.

my second labour consisted of several hours of almost painless, crampy-feeling contractions at 36.5 weeks, followed by the breaking of my water and pitocin @ 5 cm (!@*$&#% morons knew how quickly i had gone the first time, but yep, i HAD to have the pitocin, so that my doctor could fit me in before he went to lunch. no kidding.), and 30 minutes of very sudden, *hard* labour (thank you, pitocin ), before she was out. 7 lb. 10.5 oz.

both were so fast, i never had time for any sort of pain relief, so i'm very confident in my ability to birth at home, without the option of drugs.

so, #3, when i should get pregnant again, will be born at home in the tub, if i have anything to say about it, and hopefully it'll be the quickest of the three, since i'll actually be "allowed" to move around and do things to progress even quicker.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

October 7th, 2008, 04:37 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm guessing I won't have a fast labor from beginning of first stage to end of third. No real reason. Just a guess.

October 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm thinking positively of a plesent length labor- I'd like less then 10 hours- only half that of real active labor.

October 23rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first labor was 42 hours long....... I labored at home and also at the birth center........ after 30 hours, I transferred to the hospital and ended up with a C/S.......

With my HOMEbirth VBAC, my labor was LESS than 5 hours from when I woke up until I had my son! It was fabulous.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search