question

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
okay so i really want a homebirth but hubby will not budge on it

so my last birth was really fast and i was thinking if it goes fast this time i'll just take forever getting ready and oops the babies already coming,too late to go to the hospital

what do you do after?

do you go to the hospital to get checked? would you get in trouble with the law if you didnt? would you still get the birth certificate through the hospital? would they keep you and the baby the normal amount of time or just check you and send you home?
October 4th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I know a few mamas on here have had or are planning an unnassisted home birth, maybe they can give you more in.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

October 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Hey Melissa!! THat's awesome you want a home birth...good luck convincing DH

what do you do after? After the birth my midwife will do any needed stitching, cleaning up the water tub, checking the babys stats, etc.

do you go to the hospital to get checked? nope, no need, unless of complications or something

would you get in trouble with the law if you didnt? Nope

would you still get the birth certificate through the hospital?
You can get a birth certificate but I believe it's through the county/city, at least that is how it is done here, you hvave 10 days after birth to sumbit necessary paper work that my midwife gives to us.

would they keep you and the baby the normal amount of time or just check you and send you home? I have no clue...like I mentioned my midwife checks both you and baby after the birth and there's usually no need to go to the hospital. (After 24 hours they come back to check on you...and then after 72 hours they recommend taking the baby to see a pedi)

I know a lot of midwifes are certified in giving IVs, oxygen, stitching, administering anti-hemorrhaging meds/herbs, etc.

Hope this helped you some.

October 5th, 2008, 06:17 PM
booboobunny's Avatar mzdee
Quote:
okay so i really want a homebirth but hubby will not budge on it

so my last birth was really fast and i was thinking if it goes fast this time i'll just take forever getting ready and oops the babies already coming,too late to go to the hospital

what do you do after?

do you go to the hospital to get checked? would you get in trouble with the law if you didnt? would you still get the birth certificate through the hospital? would they keep you and the baby the normal amount of time or just check you and send you home?[/b]
If you go the unassisted route some woman choose not to go to the hospital to get check not in less there was an emergency. Some just schedule a visit with their pediatrician or family doctor within 3 days of the baby's birth. If you go to the hospital there is a strong chance they will try to keep you (to monitor you and the baby). I even read one mother say the hospital said that since the baby wasn't born in a sterile place they wanted to keep him or her for observation to make sure everything was okay. If you stayed in the hospital after your UC they would do all the paper work to help you get the birth certificate. i can't say how long they would make you stay. i'm guessing if they checked you and the baby (and did the necessary paper work) you could sign yourself out early but they might give you a hard time about that as well.
I had alot of those same questions as you did when i first thought about going that route. Dh didn't like that whole idea and it seemed like too much work. So i finally found a CNM who does homebirth and dh is on board for everything !! Good luck !!!

Just wanted to add that you could find more info about this on Mothering.com on the unassisted childbirth section !!

Me - Daynuh

October 9th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks so much!

i dont think i'll be able to convince hubby. i'll just have to take a long time to get ready

i'm gonna check out mothering.com right now
October 11th, 2008, 06:49 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
Melissa, find a copy of THE BUSINESS OF BEING BORN. It's on netflix if you have that. I made DH watch it with me (he was deadset against home birth) and that's how I convinced him.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
October 13th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Super Mommy
I first tried telling my DF about the reasons I wanted a homebirth. He wasn't onboard at all at first, but I kept telling him that it really wasn't up to him, that I would do it with/without his approval. Then he slowly came around, and I showed him different studies, etc. Our 'backup' doctor even told him how safe it is, and how it's great to have a homebirth. I think that's when he really realized how great it can/will be.

I say give it some time. Work on your DH, and it can be done!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0ruUTi/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a></div>
October 14th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I cried and begged dh to convince him with dd.

For the birth certificate, call or email your office of vital statistics and ask how to get an out-of-hospital birth certificate. Ask soon though, don't wait because some states have a 10 day post birth rule and after that things get difficult. Here in OR though you have a full year. Some states also require some medical papers, but here in OR you only need a person not related to you to sign a notarized paper saying you were pg (man it's easy here!). I didn't go anywhere after the birth, and I don't intend on going anywhere after this one either. The hospital may "force" you to stay, and I've even heard of some states calling CPS...so yeah, I wouldn't risk it unless there was a medical need.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search