Plans for the placenta?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2008, 06:27 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What do you plan on doing with the placenta?

I know some people cook it and eat it, others cook it and make pills and then some plant it. We plan on freezing it then planting it with a tree when the ground thaws.

Expecting our 4th baby BOY due May 14th

Our Nest
October 28th, 2008, 10:00 PM
tobynscarlett's Avatar TTCAL Co-Host
I am planning to do a "Tree of Life" print with mine. It is kind of like a stamp on a piece of paper- you use the actal placenta to make the "leaves" and the cord will make the print of the "trunk". It is kind of hard to visualize but you can google "tree of life print" or "placenta print" and get a better idea. It's really neat because no one would ever guess what it is unless you told them. All of my friends (and my DH) think I am crazy but my midwife is WAYYY excited to help me do it. I am the first person that has ever requested it from her and she has always wanted to make one. I think it is a really neat way to remember this birth (my third since 2006).

*** also, FYI, you aren't supposed to plant anything when you plant anything when you first plant the placenta. You are supposed to wait a year because the placenta is so loaded with nutrients it could kill whatever you plant. It would make a neat first birthday ceremony to plant a tree with friends and family.

Special thanks to Marie "IBakeBoys08" for my beautiful siggy!!

October 29th, 2008, 05:21 AM
~Jackie
My MW will probably take it like she did last time and plant a tree
October 29th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Quote:
I am planning to do a "Tree of Life" print with mine. It is kind of like a stamp on a piece of paper- you use the actal placenta to make the "leaves" and the cord will make the print of the "trunk". It is kind of hard to visualize but you can google "tree of life print" or "placenta print" and get a better idea. It's really neat because no one would ever guess what it is unless you told them. All of my friends (and my DH) think I am crazy but my midwife is WAYYY excited to help me do it. I am the first person that has ever requested it from her and she has always wanted to make one. I think it is a really neat way to remember this birth (my third since 2006).

*** also, FYI, you aren't supposed to plant anything when you plant anything when you first plant the placenta. You are supposed to wait a year because the placenta is so loaded with nutrients it could kill whatever you plant. It would make a neat first birthday ceremony to plant a tree with friends and family.[/b]
Thanks for letting me know. I want to wait since we don't own our house, so it could be more then a year before it comes out of the freezer. Once we own it, then I think we'll plant it and it could be more then a year before our house is offered up to us.

Our Nest
October 29th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I'm encapsulating it. I had some depression issues after dd was born (ppd and situational) and I don't want to feel like again, and I don't want to put a bunch of chemicals in my body and the baby's either.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
October 29th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are definitely encapsulating. A good friend actually offered to do it for me. I might take her up on it.

October 29th, 2008, 05:32 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
We're encapsulating it. I'm going to put it in the oven to dry it out and then my midwife said she has a capsulator so she'll help me out with that once it's dry. I think I also had PPD for a loooong time after Aden was born, I have problems with depression in the first place but I only just started taking medication for it before I got pregnant and I had to stop.
October 30th, 2008, 10:54 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Just having our midwife dispose of it....can't come to encapsulating it and taking it (I know it's good for PPD and loaded with nutrients, just can't come around to doing/taking it )

October 31st, 2008, 07:26 AM
momof3&travis's Avatar Super Mommy
i'm encapsulating it also . i also suffer from anxitey / panic, which sets it PPD so i want to be ready. DH said he'd dry it out and capsul it, but trying to see if midwife would help the sooner after the better!

A special thanks to Jennifer

October 31st, 2008, 09:16 AM
I suffer from depression and have for years and I tend to get bad PPD. I've read up on encapsulating the placenta I just don't think I could.

So far I've managed my depression pretty well.

Our Nest
October 31st, 2008, 03:03 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to do a print (of blood not paint) and also encapsulate it.

November 3rd, 2008, 04:40 PM
booboobunny's Avatar mzdee
i'm going to freeze it. i'm not sure if we want to plant it or use to help ppd !

Me - Daynuh

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search