Birth Plan for Home & Hospital

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2009, 12:29 PM
~Jackie
In General
I hope the midwife who attends me in labor will remain in the background, taking observations to check on the baby’s and my safety, but otherwise not getting involved in my labor unless requested otherwise. I believe that I know how to give birth on my own, but appreciate the security of having a midwife there to help with the unexpected or emergency situations.

The Labor
I do not have a preference for how many internal examinations I have, however I would not like to excessively be checked.

Please do not offer to break my waters.

If the baby appears to be poorly positioned or labor is not progressing well for some reason, I would appreciate it if you could suggest changes of position or movements which might help.

Birth Companions
My husband and daughter will be present. I do not wish to have anyone else unless I decide.

Birth Pool
We will have our own birth pool. I plan on using the birth pool when I feel the need and keep it at a temperature that is comfortable to me. I may labor on land or in the water, it depends on how I feel at the time.

The Birth
I do not wish to have an internal examination to confirm whether or not I am 'ready' to push. I shall only push when I physically cannot do otherwise!

Pushing
I do not have a position picked for birth, as I will be in whatever position feels correct at the time. However please discourage me from laying on my back if you see me doing this.

I intend to 'catch' my own baby, and would prefer the midwife not to touch at all unless there is a problem. I would like the midwife to observe and to be on hand in case of emergency, but otherwise I want to be left to give birth entirely under my own guidance.

Third Stage
I plan to have a fully natural (physiological) third stage, and to cut the cord only after the placenta is delivered. I want to allow the placenta to turn up in its own time. It is important that the cord is not clamped or cut until the placenta is delivered. Please do not administer any drugs unless you feel there is a real need. I would appreciate your advice to help me deliver the placenta naturally. **Please do not pull on the cord or use fundal pressure unless there is a specific indication to do so, as I have read that this is contra-indicated in drug-free third stages**.

Care of the Baby
I will breastfeed as soon as possible.
Please do not administer prophylactic Vitamin K after the birth. If the birth is traumatic for the baby or there is some other risk factor for HDN, I will be happy to discuss this with the midwife and allow vitamin K if we both decide it is appropriate.

Transfer
Ambulance: Do not strap me on my back unless necessary
Epidural will be the pain relief I wish to use.
If I suffer a severe post-partum hemorrhage, please do not perform a hysterectomy unless it is the only available course of action. Although I already have 2 children, I still hope to have more.
Please do not admit my baby to Special Care simply for observation, but only if there is a specific reason for concern. My baby should be with myself 100% of the time.

Baby Feeding in Hospital
Please do not give my baby supplements of glucose water or formula milk without my permission. Under no circumstances is my baby to be bottle-fed as this could lead to nipple confusion and hinder breastfeeding. If supplements are necessary, I will give it by spoon or other method, not by bottle.

January 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
sounds like a good plan

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search