Your first home birth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Was your first home birth like you expected/planned it to be? Did anything happen you weren't prepared for? Did you labor/birth differently then you had originally wanted too?

My first was an HBAC so my nerves were getting the best of me. It wasn't like I had expected, I had in my mind things were going to be worse then they were. All in all however, things went nicely, which I hoped for.

Yes! I had back labor. Oh man oh man, that made me so vocal, something i had hoped I wouldn't be. Thankfully my 2 year old at the time went to grandmas.

I was planning a water birth, I did labor in the water for a few hours. After while I couldn't take it anymore and needed to get out. I labored a lot around the house and I birthed him on land. It all turned out wonderfully

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
January 22nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
my first was not what i was expecting. i labored for 20 hrs and then pushed for 2. the first 30 minutes of pushing were very productive...she was literally half way out, but my skin was holding her back, not the muscles. so i pushed for another hour and half to get her out. i remember hearing, just one more push(which they really thought would do it), and after a while i yelled, shut up! don't tell me one more push when you keep lying to me! lol. i had horrible back labor too. it was really rough.

Survivor Mom - My Blog

January 22nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
It was the way I had imagined for the most part. But the midwife didn't make it and I lost a ton of blood and passed out twice after I had her.

I wanted to be able to go for a walk while I was in the earlier stages, but it all happened so quick there was no time for that at all. My only other plan was to have her in the water, and that almost didn't happen. The water was 1 foot deep and I started pushing right after I got in.

It was amazing and I would do it again in a second, even if it were the exact same.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

January 23rd, 2009, 09:43 AM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
Mine was my first baby, so of course there were things different than what I expected.

My labor was only 3 3/4 hours. I expected much longer.

I expected to walk around longer and maybe squat while delivering. Once the RN got here, though, and made me lie down so she could check dialation (to decide when to call the mw out) I couldn't get up, LOL! I was already 9 cm when she checked me, though, so really I wouldn't have wanted to be upright any more! I rolled onto my side and didn't move again. There was no getting on my knees to deliver!

Nothing was disappointing about it, though. It was great.

dd SK (closing in on 15)
dd AB (12.5)

ds TJ (10.5)
ds SR (7.75)
dd LG (5.5)
edd @ Aug 6
seven babies perfected in heaven
January 23rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My first homebirth was my second child, nearly 12 years ago. I was suprised at how much I labored in bed. I really thought I would move around more, but I pretty much laid in bed until I felt the need to push, then I hoped up and practically ran to the birth stool. I am very excited about my 9th homebirth any day now!

Mama to:
Nick, 19
Abby, 17
Gabe, 15
Isaac, 13
Mary-Kate, 12
Sam, 11
Henry, 10
Molly, 8
Mark, 7
Greta, 5
Cecilia, 4
Josephine, 2
Evie, born 12.31.13
Baby due in July!
January 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
My first homebirth (second baby) was awesome. I didn't even know what to expect, but it blew me away. 4 1/2 very bearable hours, minus transition when I was begging to be taken for an epidural. My second hb was the one that threw me for a loop. 4 days of labor with consistent contractions and a posterior/nuchal hand delivery. Even still, it was awesome and I'd do all 4 days again over a hospital birth!

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
January 25th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first homebirth was with my 4th baby and it was a wonderful experience. I think the only surprise was how long it took to get from 9cm to complete and ready to push...that part was almost 3 hours but then I pushed him out in just a few minutes. I was surprised at how well I was able to cope with the pain and I think being at home and being so supported by my birth team made all the difference.

January 26th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine was an HBAC too

It was NOT what I was expecting at ALL! My first labor/birth was 42 hours of horrible back labor ending in a C-Section!

Imagine my surprise when I had my HBAC baby within less than 5 hours of waking up to what I thought "might" be labor!!!
January 29th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Veteran
My first two "homebirths" were not planned at all. They ended up being van births. My third was planned and great. After having to unassisted births, and a homebirth I would never return to the hospital (unless medically necessary). Those three were HBac's after two c-sections.

<div align="center"></div>
January 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Super Mommy
I didn't expect to have to push for an hour and a half with my first baby (I've only had home births) I also planned on moving around quite a bit, but in the end found it much easier to relax and concentrate while sitting still or lying down, plus I kept throwing up if I moved around to much. I also planned on geting out of the water for the actual birth, but in the end I liked the water so much I just had her in the water.

For my second I never expected her to come so fast or the labor to be that intense that fast. I had planned on shaving my legs and braiding my hair, nothing like that happened! hahaha! I also never planned on pooping in the pool while pushing, but what can you do?

But they were still such amazing experiances I would never trade them for anything! Home birth all the way!
January 31st, 2009, 05:03 AM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
Quote:
My first two "homebirths" were not planned at all. They ended up being van births. My third was planned and great. After having to unassisted births, and a homebirth I would never return to the hospital (unless medically necessary). Those three were HBac's after two c-sections.[/b]
Just wanted to comment on your screen name! We are QF, too. I guess it means different things to different people. We don't do any planning or preventing. We are due the end of June.

How awesome that you were able to have three natural births after two c-sections!

dd SK (closing in on 15)
dd AB (12.5)

ds TJ (10.5)
ds SR (7.75)
dd LG (5.5)
edd @ Aug 6
seven babies perfected in heaven
February 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
It was everything I expected. But shorter than I was prepared for.

February 16th, 2009, 02:47 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Was your first home birth like you expected/planned it to be? It was more than I expected, better! It went by so fast, even though it was 22 hours, so that helped. And I was right the birthing pool helped TONS!!
Did anything happen you weren't prepared for? Having to pee but not being able to, it was hard to pee, so I had to pee in the shower. Sitting on the toilet killed me, but I labored on the toilet through 7 contractions to speed it up. And having to push for so long, I didn't think I'd ever have to push that long or so many times. Or getting bad leg cramps when I was pushing that was terrible!
Did you labor/birth differently then you had originally wanted too? Just the laboring on the toilet and I also labored on the birthing ball- hugging it with DH putting counter pressure on my hips.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search