The Unassisted Childbirth question...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
People always say a woman is __________ for having a homebirth: brave, crazy, irresponsible, fill in your own word. I have had four homebirths (planning a fifth) because I am educated/informed and believe this is the safest thing for mother and baby in a normal pregnancy. But... knowing about things like blood loss, babies not breathing, cord wrapped around a neck where transfer is neccessary, blah, blah, blah... I would never be comfortable birthing alone or even with just dh here. I want someone with experience and a cool head to recognize potential problems and deal with actual ones. I am amazed at my mw's intuition and experience. While she does nothing really to "help" me give birth, I know she is trained to handle a potentially serious problem should one arise. Otherwise, she just supports me, which in itself was very important my first two births.

So... how do you prepare to birth unassisted. Do you get training on resuscitation and have equipment ready? Do you have the little pink pills on hand in case of too much bleeding? Do you learn about how to deal with other problems during labor or after birth?

I truly am clueless and I'd love to know more about your decisions. I had never heard of so many uc until this forum.

Thanks!

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14
February 23rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Quote:
People always say a woman is __________ for having a homebirth: brave, crazy, irresponsible, fill in your own word. I have had four homebirths (planning a fifth) because I am educated/informed and believe this is the safest thing for mother and baby in a normal pregnancy. But... knowing about things like blood loss, babies not breathing, cord wrapped around a neck where transfer is neccessary, blah, blah, blah... I would never be comfortable birthing alone or even with just dh here. I want someone with experience and a cool head to recognize potential problems and deal with actual ones. I am amazed at my mw's intuition and experience. While she does nothing really to "help" me give birth, I know she is trained to handle a potentially serious problem should one arise. Otherwise, she just supports me, which in itself was very important my first two births.

So... how do you prepare to birth unassisted. Do you get training on resuscitation and have equipment ready? Do you have the little pink pills on hand in case of too much bleeding? Do you learn about how to deal with other problems during labor or after birth?

I truly am clueless and I'd love to know more about your decisions. I had never heard of so many uc until this forum.

Thanks![/b]
How did I prepare...
I don't see birth as medical.
I had my third at home with a midwife.
I called her for my fourth, and every other midwife in Alberta, and none were available/willing to come to me (I lived over 300 miles from the nearest midwife).
It was either unassisted or hospital/medical.
It was an easy choice, no need to medicalize a normal, healthy pregnancy/mom/baby, so I didn't.
Training...

I did not purchase resucitation equipment, saw no need, less than 5% of babies need anything if you don't add in interventions. I do know CPR, as does my husband, if we needed it.

Not sure what the "little pink pills" are that you referred to, but I didn't have "medication". I did have tinctures, if needed, they are still sealed up, never been opened.

There are few problems that may occur in labour, but I was prepared for shoulder dystocia, cord wraps, non-responsiveness, if needed.

Here is part of it.

I chose to have a baby, I chose to be responsible. If I had a RM and something happened, yes, I would hope that she would "fix it", but I wouldn't hold her "responsible". I do not mean this in a rude way, but as a Canadian I rarely think of someone as liable, but I did already (with my 3rd) come to the mindset that I was responsible and in charge of my own health/body. So as such I was ready for the above possibilities.

As it turned out, baby 4 did have cord around his neck, tight, I couldn't loosen it so I pushed past it. He was blue, non-responsive, not moving at birth. I picked him up, suctioned with my own mouth and rubbed his back vigourously. I also remained calm for a few reasons, #1 being uncalm wouldn't help anyone. He is fine now and was a few moments later.

I dunno, I just knew things would be ok, I trusted birth, I trusted my body, I trusted God.

March 3rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
Quote:
Not sure what the "little pink pills" are that you referred to, but I didn't have "medication". I did have tinctures, if needed, they are still sealed up, never been opened. They're pills my mw always has on hand in case I don't stop bleeding.

There are few problems that may occur in labour, but I was prepared for shoulder dystocia, cord wraps, non-responsiveness, if needed. Those are things I would not be prepared for and never thought about being prepared for since I counted on help. I have had some quick labors, though, and I should educate myself anyway. Where do you learn how to handle these things? I know my mw had at least one patient she had to transfer to the hospital because of the cord coming out. The mother had to keep her rear end up in the back seat while someone kept the pressure off the cord and someone drove.

I dunno, I just knew things would be ok, I trusted birth, I trusted my body, I trusted God. I trust my body and God, too, I just like the thought of an outside pair of eyes and hands, preferably those of someone with more experience than me.[/b]
So, though I will never plan an uc myself, I would like to be more prepared in case it were to happen unplanned. How did you learn what to do in those emergency situations?

I'm really surprised I didn't get more responses. It seems I read of many ladies on here having uc. Thanks for your reply.

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14
March 3rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what the "little pink pills" are that you referred to, but I didn't have "medication". I did have tinctures, if needed, they are still sealed up, never been opened. They're pills my mw always has on hand in case I don't stop bleeding.
oh ok, so some sort of medication

There are few problems that may occur in labour, but I was prepared for shoulder dystocia, cord wraps, non-responsiveness, if needed. Those are things I would not be prepared for and never thought about being prepared for since I counted on help. I have had some quick labors, though, and I should educate myself anyway. Where do you learn how to handle these things? I know my mw had at least one patient she had to transfer to the hospital because of the cord coming out. The mother had to keep her rear end up in the back seat while someone kept the pressure off the cord and someone drove.
well, I always depending on help for the first 3 too, then I had no choice with #4 or #5. I have a lot of books and movies, I am a student midwife and attended many births as a doula as well (where i saw some of these things occur).

I dunno, I just knew things would be ok, I trusted birth, I trusted my body, I trusted God. I trust my body and God, too, I just like the thought of an outside pair of eyes and hands, preferably those of someone with more experience than me.[/b]
So, though I will never plan an uc myself, I would like to be more prepared in case it were to happen unplanned. How did you learn what to do in those emergency situations?

I'm really surprised I didn't get more responses. It seems I read of many ladies on here having uc. Thanks for your reply.
[/b]

I think I answered how I learned above. But education, that is the key to everything.

March 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I don't check in here very often, but I've had 2 UC's. My first son was born in a hospital and I just was NOT ok with the amount of intervention they forced on us, or the health consequences he faced because of them. To learn about UCing I read pretty much every birth story I could get my hands on (well, online). I literally spent probably at least 2-3 hours reading them each night (darn preggo insomnia with dd). I read ALL birth stories too, not just UC. I learned a lot from all of them. When I came across a term I didn't understand, I looked it up and read as much as I could on it. I also prayed, a LOT about the safe and healthy outcomes of my births. My first UC was a piece of cake, 4 1/2 hours from first contraction to birth. My second was a doozy, 3 days of early labor (contractions on average every 11 minutes), and then about 8 1/2 hours of labor...the last 2 making me a little crazy. I did lose it more this last time than I should have, but oh well. If I would have felt like something was wrong, we'd have gone straight to the hospital or called 911. We don't have resusciation equipment, but we know CPR. We didn't have any meds on hand either (I've never had a bleeding problem, but I knew you could take a piece of placenta and hold it in your mouth to help bleeding).

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search