A little disappointed...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I talked to my midwife (or soon to be) today. I have a very irregular cycle but told her the day of MLP, the day I think I concieved and the dates I took my one negative and 2 positive pregnancy tests. From those 4 dates, I think we had a pretty good range of EDD. It was within in a 2 week period and due dates aren't exactly the day that all babies make their arrival. Anyway, she then started talking about ultrasound and referring out to get an exact date (which seems silly when the babies don't arrive right on the due date). I'm feeling disappointed and like this is going to be the way of my whole pregnancy. I haven't even met her yet and she is already recommending medical test (an $800 medical test no less!). Should I try and find someone else or go to the appointment and see how it goes? What do you think?
February 11th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Veteran
Personally I'd find someone else I'm more comfortable with. With all the info you gave her, she should feel you have a pretty accurate EDD and let it go. It's not like you don't know when your last menstrual cycle was, if you really had no clue, then ofcourse they would want to do an u/s to get a date. But you gave her all the info she needs to get a date. To me, this is a sign of being far too dependent on procedures and tests, I'd worry about her competence (does she feel comfortable with births and homebirths in particular), she may end up being hands on when you want a hands off midwife. That's my take, but ofcourse it's up to you and how you feel about it.

I'm Stayin Home and Lovin It!

My Pregnancy VLOG:
http://www.youtube.com/JoyeuseSteuer

February 11th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wasnt completely sure with my dates, but me and my midwife figured out 2 dates and we are going by them, she said I could have an u/s if I want to but I said NO, and she was perfectly fine with that.

February 12th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Personally I'd find someone else I'm more comfortable with. With all the info you gave her, she should feel you have a pretty accurate EDD and let it go. It's not like you don't know when your last menstrual cycle was, if you really had no clue, then ofcourse they would want to do an u/s to get a date. But you gave her all the info she needs to get a date. To me, this is a sign of being far too dependent on procedures and tests, I'd worry about her competence (does she feel comfortable with births and homebirths in particular), she may end up being hands on when you want a hands off midwife. That's my take, but ofcourse it's up to you and how you feel about it.[/b]

This is how I am feeling, too. I haven't met her and she already is referring to the medical establishment. I appreciate the understanding. I think I'll keep my appointment on tuesday and see if maybe Face to Face we have some kind of repore. Thanks for your input.
February 23rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
How did the appt go? What does your gut tell you? Are you sticking with her?

March 7th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Jaci's Avatar I AM a Doula :)
The problem I'm sure she is feeling is that in most (all?) states a midwife must do a hospital transfer if you go over two weeks late, so getting that date pin-pointed is a lot safer than having a two week period. Does that make sense?

ETA: what you could do is take the latest of the due dates that you have pin-pointed, do a calculator to find out what date you ovulated and then base your LMP on that (essentially, lie to her). I know someone who did that to her midwife and her midwife winked and said "I just have to go by what you tell me!"

Last edited by Jaci; March 7th, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
March 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I went to the appointment and actually got a different midwife then the one I talked to on the phone. She and I went over dates and talked about possible dates of conceptions, positive and negative pregnancy test dates and when *I* felt I conceived. With that, we narrowed it down to 2 possible times...I was either 9 weeks or 12 weeks. She did an exam on me and said she would be able to tell but the size of something inside there (can't remember-uterus?) if I was 9 or 12 weeks. She was sure I was 9 weeks which is what I already knew! I really liked her and I think we clicked. She seemed to be more of the mindset that I am as far as the baby will come when it's ready...2 weeks early, 2 weeks late...it's just an estimated date. I have my next appointment on the 18th. How does everyone feel about hearing the heartbeat via Doppler? Any negative side affects for baby? I want to just for pure selfish reasons but not if it's bad for baby. Thank you all for your help. I love having knowledgeable people to talk to about this. My friends and family have been really supportive of the homebirth but they don't have any insight/experience to help me with questions. Thank You.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search