Why?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Why did you choose homebirth?

Did you know someone that has birthed at home before?

Did you observe/attend a homebirth before? (if so, who)

Did you read about it?

Did you watch a film on it?

Tell why you are/have birthed at home.

February 24th, 2009, 04:19 AM
~Jackie
I never heard of homebirth until my first pregnancy when I was on JM. I thought it was crazy, had never heard of it. I REALLY thought UA homebirth was just insane and dangerous. I loved my labor with Kailey up until we got to the hospital (I had a heart problem). I was 8cm by the time we left the house and I barely felt like I was in labor.... laughing, no pain, just hanging out with the whole family and occasionally stopping to breathe deeply. My birth video is kind of disappointing because you cannot even tell I'm in labor. I get to the hospital and I'm just uncomfortable. My cervix gets to 10 with a front lip, then a back lip and my contractions slow way down (I was regressing my labor). I had to get pit & epi (no... I didn't HAVE to, but I didn't have anyone there to encourage me, my MW didn't do this - I have the same MW).

Well, with being on JM still there is always research and debates so I learned a lot about homebirth. It just became natural to me to think of having a homebirth. I was so happy being home with Kailey that I didn't want another hospital interference. This time, I really just want to be left alone. I know exactly what my body can do and I don't want/need anyone telling me when to hop like a chicken or move here or there. I'm going to completely follow my bodies ques.

My daughter's Montessori teacher.

Nope.

Did you read about it?
Oh yea.

Yuppers.

Oh... well I already did that up there. LOL!
February 24th, 2009, 06:24 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I chose a home birth because of my first sons hospital birth experience. Everything that was done to me, shouldn't have been done. Including the c-section.

Nope, not a single soul!

No

Did you read about it?
I had done reading up on it in order to better educate myself on it and be fully aware of it to present the idea to my husband.

The Business of Being Born

Well, my first birth was a cascade of interventions. I was 19 and easily scared by the doctors. My son was posterior so I was going to labor and push longer. By 23 hours and 1 1/2 of pushing they decided to take him by section. But this was not until after having pitocin, morphine, an epidural and a ton more pitocin. Once I got my birth records for my midwife, I found out NONE of it needed to be done, they were just in a rush because I wasn't going quick enough for them.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
February 24th, 2009, 04:27 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
When DH and I started talking he told me he was born at home. At first, I thought it was an accidental homebirth but come to find out it wasn't. He was the first born at home (His 2 elder sisters were hospital births and there were 6 after him born at home) I grew up with the typical American knowledge that baby's are born in hospitals, so this of course was a lil weird to me. But then I started to do some research on homebirths and come to find out, I was in shock. A bit upset that I had the typical American knowledge and that I didn't know that home births were still possible/happening currently and a home birth sounded exactly like what I wanted! Since I'm an al naturale person....I knew I wanted a natural birth but this sounded like the perfect fit for us.

From my extensive research, I decided/discovered that a home birth is definitely what I wanted and hoped for. For many reasons. One of the biggest reasons for me is probably my fear of hospitals and doctors. I HATE them as does DH. I really LOVE our midwives! They treat us like people. they support us and take time with our appointments- each one was an hour, most of hte time spent talking. They give you the choice to do testing or not, we mostly voided them. I love how they are all natural minded and they have the same views as us on breastfeeding, circumcision, babywearing, cloth diapering, vaccines, etc. A doc would normally freak if you said you weren't vax'ing! Normal docs see you as fast as they can and then charge you tons of mula. Also, I can't stand the smell of hospitals. I don't like the whole white look and feel, it just creeps me out and makes me think death. Sick people go there- there's no way I want to have a baby in there. I wouldn't be comfortable at all and I know it, it'd stress/freak me out that I'd probably end up with a c-section, the last thing I want. I'm also, not a fan of needles, etc. I knew previously that I didn't want any epidural, IV etc. I wanted to do it naturally and I know it's possible and if I want it so badly then I am determined to do it. And of course all the other small little factors of home births is why chose to have one: the cost, the atmosphere/comfort of your own home, it's cleaner/safer and easier (no traveling in labor).

Did you know someone that has birthed at home before? Yep my MIL

Did you observe/attend a homebirth before? (if so, who) nope, I did a hospital birth and I didn't like how the baby is kept apart from the mommy for so long. I knew I didn't want that, I wanted to hold my baby right away.

Did you read about it? Yep in books and birth stores on JM

Did you watch a film on it? Yep the business of being born, birth into being i think is the name and many youtube vids.

February 25th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Why did you choose homebirth? I want to have a natural birth in a place I feel completely at home (hehe) and without medical interventions/agendas.

Did you know someone that has birthed at home before? My mother-in-law had 7 of her 9 children at home. 2 of my sister-in-laws had their children at home (8 for one and 3 for the other).

Did you observe/attend a homebirth before? (if so, who) Nope.

Did you read about it? I have done a lot of reading on it.

Did you watch a film on it? Yes. A couple of different ones.

Tell why you are/have birthed at home. Just want to be as relaxed as I can and my home sounds like a much nicer place to bring a baby into the world then a place where they send all the sick people!
February 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Why did you choose homebirth? Well, I didn't really CHOOSE it as much as it chose me. ha ha. Meaning, I had had two completely awesome freestanding birth center births in Kirkland, WA but then we moved to the other side of the state. We had begun to see a Naturopathic Doctor here who also happened to be a midwife so when I became pregnant with #3 I had no desire to use any other doc/midwife than her since I was already comfortable with her. The catch was that she didn't do anything other than home births. While there was a birth center in town, she was not involved in it so it wasn't something I was interested in. Later I got in touch w/my old midwives at the birthcenter in Kikland and decided to go to the Seattle area around my due date and stay w/my parents until I went into labor so that I could repeat my wonderful birth center experience again. So, I was going to just use my midwife/ND here for prenatal care then deliver on the other side of the state. As my due date came closer I started having second thoughts and feeling a pull towards staying home and having a home birth. I am SOOOOOO glad I did. All my apprehension about it was completely WRONG...the things that I thought would be a problem ended up being the best things! Like, cleaning and baking during labor...it was a wonderful diversion! Having my children milling about the house was awesome...just going about life as usual. It was GREAT. Anynow, long story for such a seemingly simple question. I'd never go to a birth center again unless it was my only option!

Did you know someone that has birthed at home before? Yes, my sister-in-law had.

Did you observe/attend a homebirth before? (if so, who) No, I had never been to one.

Did you read about it? Read LOTS about it.

Did you watch a film on it? Yes, in Gentle Birth Choices and other things from the library.

Tell why you are/have birthed at home. Well, next baby is due any time now and I can't imagine doing it any other way ever again. I'm excited about it!!!
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
February 26th, 2009, 03:24 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Why did you choose homebirth? My 4th was a unneceserean, I wasn't going back for another.

Did you know someone that has birthed at home before? No, and everyone thought I was crazy when I decided to.

Did you observe/attend a homebirth before? (if so, who) No.

Did you read about it? Yes, mostly online before choosing to homebirth and then several books.

Did you watch a film on it? I have seen that one by Rikki Lake, but that was after 3 homebirths.

Tell why you are/have birthed at home. It is peaceful, relaxed and I am in control.
#12 is on the way
March 3rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I did for my 3rd (and those after)

yes, several friends

no

Did you read about it?
yes, extensively

yes, many

wasn't satisfied with my births prior to so sought home. have since taken much more education in everything related to birth (or so it seems)

March 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
Why did you choose homebirth? My mom had 2 of my sisters at home and my hospital birth was awful

Did you know someone that has birthed at home before? yep my mom

Did you observe/attend a homebirth before? (if so, who) yep I watched 2 of my sisters be born, but I was little

Did you read about it? I read homebirth stories but not to much about homebirths in general

Did you watch a film on it? I did watch some homebirth videos, but it didn't explain anything, they were just actual births

Tell why you are/have birthed at home. It is so much more peaceful, you do what you want to do, the midwifes stay back and out of the way if you want them to, you can have your baby in the water (my hospital don't allow it)

My homebirth was amazing, if I have any more kids they will deffinately be born at home. My only regret was I wasn't brave enough to have my first at home.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

March 4th, 2009, 06:38 AM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
Why did you choose homebirth? I was convinced it was the safest thing for both me and my baby.

Did you know someone that has birthed at home before? My friend did in college, but that was like 15 years earlier and she was really a hippie, lol!

Did you observe/attend a homebirth before? (if so, who) No.

Did you read about it? I read "Homebirth" by Shiela Kitzinger. I had picked it up from a clearance table years before we were even thinking about having children! I was totally convinced before I even had to make a decision.

Did you watch a film on it? No, but I watched The Business of Being Born last year.

Tell why you are/have birthed at home. I still believe 100% that it is the safest thing for me and my children. Besides that it is an awesome experience and a family event: a family member being welcomed directly into his home.

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14
March 4th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Why did you choose homebirth? I chose homebirth because I live in one of the most medical cities in the world. My chance of c/s is 50% at some hospitals and 40% citywide. There are a million "rules" in our hospitals that pretty much guarantee you will not be able to birth naturally. And while I know I could fight them, but it just seems like a lot of effort when I could just have the baby safely at home.

No, but my best friend wants to as well.

Nope

Did you read about it?
Oh yes. Tons.

Did you watch a film on it? No, I get squeamish watching births

Is this the same as the first question? I want a natural birth, and it's highly unlikely I'd get one in a hospital.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search