Newborn Testing - Updated question!

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2009, 08:03 AM
~Jackie
What testing/vaccines did you do?

I'm specifically asking (also) about the PKU thingy - did anyone do this? I totally forgot about it and can't remember anything on it.

Why don't you do the PKU testing?

Last edited by ~Jackie; March 15th, 2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: new question
March 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Nope we didn't do the PKU nor vaccines or eye goo or vitamin k shot or circumcision. He's al naturale.

March 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My state requires the newborn screen testing, so we had to do that. Other then that, nothing else. No shots, no eye creams.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
March 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In TX I believe we have to do the PKU, so we will (although I think a few days later). No vaccines, no goop, no K unless it's a traumatic birth.

March 15th, 2009, 06:11 PM
The PKU was required in CA but we waived it. I bet you could/can do this in every state just like waiving vaccines for schools. Thought I'd share

March 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
no vaccines, no vit K, no eye goop, but we did do the PKU testing, only once though, most the time they want you to go back in 10 days to do it again, we didn't go back

I didn't want to do it, but my midwife said we could skip the first one and do it around 10 days old and said that was all that was needed, so I felt a little better about it I guess

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

March 31st, 2009, 10:37 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I only do the PKU. If you don't and you do have issues, they are unresolvable. I could never forgive myself if my child ended up with irreversible brain damage.

As for immunizations, none are done here with newborns and we don't immunize later either. We don't go for the erythromycin or vitamin k either, see no need.

March 31st, 2009, 11:34 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We will do no eye ointment, only ORAL Vit k if we have a traumatic birth, No circ if a boy, but we will do PKU test. (I'm more careful with putting stuff in my baby then taking a couple drops of blood out---heck I figure I will cause more bleeding the first time I try cutting nails! LOL)
April 1st, 2009, 04:12 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm just lurking but I wanted to share that my dd has one of the problems that is tested for on the PKU test. Without the early treatment, by the time symptoms showed up it would have been too late to reverse some of the damage, so I would say take the test as soon as you can.

I'm sort of considering a homebirth for our next baby.. not that we will be ready anytime soon or anything.. but I am curious, can the midwife order the PKU test or do you have to go through your pedi?

April 1st, 2009, 06:37 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherMichelle View Post
I'm just lurking but I wanted to share that my dd has one of the problems that is tested for on the PKU test. Without the early treatment, by the time symptoms showed up it would have been too late to reverse some of the damage, so I would say take the test as soon as you can.

I'm sort of considering a homebirth for our next baby.. not that we will be ready anytime soon or anything.. but I am curious, can the midwife order the PKU test or do you have to go through your pedi?
My midwife told me where I needed to order the testing sheet. I got it for free because of income. Then when he was a one day old, her student midwife came for the usual check up and did it then.

I also don't do any shots/vit k/eye ointment on the newborn, the PKU i did because my state law required it. I didn't mind it though, knowing if osmething was wrong that i could not detect, I just wanted to know.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
April 1st, 2009, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by My~Loves View Post
Why don't you do the PKU testing?
my MW said that there's such a low risk of having it. She never saw it in here 10 year career but she did see a few false positives, which does happen and she said she doesnt like seein parents and the baby going thru all this testing for it being false because its "a screening test-not a diagnostic test. It simply identifies which kids should be tested, not which have PKU. Most children with a positive screening test do not turn out to have the disease." So we decided to pass on it. We felt it was unnecessary, this of course was what we decided and felt was great for us and our child.

April 1st, 2009, 12:32 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife had all the supplies and took care of it on his one day old visit. It was really hard for me to watch though, because he cried his eyes out which made me cry. Poor little newborn baby!

April 1st, 2009, 12:40 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
we did all of the test besides the mother tetanus shot
April 1st, 2009, 09:11 PM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brandy_ View Post
I only do the PKU. If you don't and you do have issues, they are unresolvable. I could never forgive myself if my child ended up with irreversible brain damage.
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
April 3rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
GoldmanBaby09's Avatar Regular
I haven't done a ton of research on PKU testing yet, but I can say that we will not be putting antibiotics in my baby's eyes, giving him vit K, or circumcising him. Since both parents have to be carriers for PKU and it requires a special low protein diet, wouldn't DH and I know by now if we had it? Isn't it unlikely that our child would have it if neither of us has it? WebMD says it is only found in about 250 US babies a year. That seems like an awfully low number to warrant poking my new born with a needle. I've also read a urine test can be performed at 6 weeks. Is anyone considering doing this instead of the newborn heel stick?
April 3rd, 2009, 10:06 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^^ don't think the 6 week would be much use. IF a baby had PKU issue it take a couple days to a little over a week for permanent damage and/or death to occur....so 6 weeks you would have already got an answer. And you can both be recessive gene holders and not know it, but then two recessives can make a dominate case....so mom and dad may not know they are carriers. And yep only about 250 people have it a year but since its so deadly so fast hospital find it cheaper to test all babies instead of getting sued by 250 for millions (thats why they started testing---insurance cases lost).
April 4th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherMichelle View Post
My midwife did the PKU test herself in her office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezpoofs View Post
My midwife had all the supplies and took care of it on his one day old visit. It was really hard for me to watch though, because he cried his eyes out which made me cry. Poor little newborn baby!
aw

My midwife wrapped Kayori's foot in a heat pack for a few minutes, then she poked her, and Kayori didn't cry at all.

Amara had her's done at the hospital and she screamed for a long time poor girl.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

April 5th, 2009, 10:13 PM
GoldmanBaby09's Avatar Regular
Ok, I did a little more research, and in NV at least, the run a pretty full panel to check for metabolic disorders in addition to the PKU. I think I will feel a little better about the heel stick if I know they are testing for a bunch of things that could be life threatening. Plus I'm sure my midwife will be gentle.
April 6th, 2009, 06:16 AM
marialena's Avatar Veteran
we will be doing the testing... some things do not show up on the immediate panel and that is why you need to do the second test. i don't see any reason not to do the test since it is just a little bit of blood and very minimally invasive. it could potentially save the baby's life.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search