I'd really like a homebirth.

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
I live in Chicago & I'm having issues finding all the information needed for a home birth. I've e-mailed a few Midwives for advice & information, but I have not heard back yet.

I'm curious how everything works, as far as birth certificate, Social Security card, etc.. Like after she is here - what are the steps to get all the "proper paperwork"?

Any advice will help tons! Thanks ladies!

April 2nd, 2009, 07:34 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my midwife, she kept great detail on prenatal visits and then during labor and birth. I have a copy of everything that was written down during my pregnancy/labor/delivery/post-partum.

The birth certificate she had a worksheet that she filled out half and then gave to us to finish filling out. We did, then took it up to our local county clerks office, handed it over. Fifteen minutes and 10 dollars later, we had his birth cert.

For his Social Security card, we had to go to our local SS office. I filled out a form and then handed it over where they processed it right then and there. We had it 2-3 weeks later. They had messed up so I had to ask for a new one. They had his middle name as his first, his last as his middle and his first as his last. Oh yeah, that was tons-o-fun but the guy who did it, did more talking then typing.

It however, all depends on how your midwife works. They all do the process differently. That is how my midwife did it. I had no proper/important paperwork until after Dane was born. We took our own time on getting his birth cert and SS card. So for about 2 weeks, he technically did not exist haha.

I read that A Woman's Place (Jewel Medea & Jennifer & Ann) in Chicago comes highly recommended.

Hopefully you hear back!

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
April 2nd, 2009, 08:05 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OH I'm doing a home birth in the Western Suburbs! Des Plaines actually. My midwife (Hilary Kieser CNM) JUST started doing home births last month (she was with West Suburban Midwives---she was the co-founder!) so she is one of the few still taking people!!! I know the A Woman's Place lost two of there three CNM in the last few months (Jennifer Gangon is the only one left), but they should be adding one here soon (heard through the grapevine). Also Homefirst has MD and midwives that do home births. Then there is individuals---Kay Furey CNM and Sarah Simmons CNM. Thats all I know of in the Chicago-land area.
Email communication isn't popular with them--TRUST ME! LOL Just give them a call! I have numbers if you need them....feel free to PM me any questions you may have. I haven't had my birth yet but I have done tons of looking into things!!! Plus it would be great to have another HB moma I know in the area!!!! Where are you at in Chi-town?

Birth Certificates seem to be pretty simple, m/w and you fill out paperwork and you take it to the county clerk's office to file (they told me you will have it in a day or two). Not sure on SSN yet. Passport can be done with BC and SSN and in two weeks rush if you need it (which we do). I will let you know on SSN when I find out more.

Last edited by soImarriedAnerd; April 2nd, 2009 at 08:11 AM.
April 2nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh yay! Debbie! I hope you get the homebirth I know you can do it. I don't have the answers to your ?'s because I am still in the process of figuring out how things are done here in OK. But for doing a homebirth, How does cupcake's daddy feel about the homebirth? (didn't know if you wanted me to but his name or not)
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

April 2nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
I contacted A Woman's Place, but haven't heard back from them.. I will also contact the others that were suggested. I'm also interested in the cost.. Is it expensive? My midwife now is wonderful.. and I really would love for her to deliver Cupcake also (She delivered Meg) but this is my last child, so I would really love my home birth.. but not if its too expensive.

April 2nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
I would call your insurance and see if they will cover it. If not the price seems to run about $4k in the area. (many do payment plans and some do discounts if paid by certain time, also some m/w can bill using their MD they work with name so insurance does pick it up---the m/w will be able to tell you more on this since they all do a little different).

Oh and the $4k includes everything----All prenatal/birth/ and postnatal appointments.
April 2nd, 2009, 10:16 AM
Yeah.. Our insurance covers nothing as far as in-home care goes.. Looks like I'll be sticking to my birth center! Boo!

April 2nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Some m/w will work with you on a sliding scale! Don't give up hope yet!!!!
April 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
Well, we wouldn't be able to be out 4k, even on payments.. Especially when our insurance covers everything, kwim? I love LOVE my midwife, she is wonderful & I had an AMAZING experience with her when I had Meg, I just hate hospitals. Our birthing center is in Swedish Covenant Hospital, so its all intertwined.

I just would have loved an in home experience.. but I know it wont be the end of the world.. A healthy baby is all that matters in the end.. right?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search