the midwife responded *OP*

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i win, got my money back....all is well and i'm searching for a new midwife!

Last edited by Kelsie; April 10th, 2009 at 09:27 AM.
April 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I'm osrry Kelsie that's a crazy diet for sure, some of it I do understand, but i totally get your points/questions. if you don't think you'd be able to follow it, i know there's no why I could then look for another midwife. just research your city for homebirth. good luck! hope you get some answers or what not and that you still can get your homebirth!

April 2nd, 2009, 08:13 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ummm....Yeah there is no way I could do that. Thats a strict diet! Maybe I will just decrease some of the NO things and increase the YES things. Good luck with the diet! I would love to hear how it goes for you.
April 2nd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That diet is insanity. I would ask her if this is a rough guideline of preferred foods, or if she truly expects you to eat this all the time with no exceptions.

April 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
the more i think about this list, the more it pisses me off! honestly...my idea of a homebirth, is a visit from a midwife every 4 wks and then call her when i'm in labor. she comes over and i pop a baby out. i've had 4 kids without taking all this crap. and now i'm more and more worried about this baby being small. i'm trying to avoid a huge medical bill and now, not only am i paying her, but i'm paying hundreds of dollars on stinking vitamins and minerals and she wants me to use fresh fruits and veggies. and i don't see why i'd not use all this stuff. if god put it on this earth for us to eat, why am i not eating it? do you know how expensive fresh food is? i went to the store the other day and spent over $100 on fresh fruit and veggies that won't last me more than a week. i'm now looking at this stinkin diet costing us so much that it might not even be a savings. my dh even mentioned just having an unassisted home birth. that just shocked me. my sister is a nurse and my other is very knowledgeable when it comes to birthing, so i know we'd be fine doing it, but it scares me thinking about having one. i want someone there that knows exactly what to do. i want her to come back right now and have a sit down with me and dh and for us to really go over this. i felt really rushed today. i didn't know what to say, i wasn't prepared. and i guess that's how it usually goes. i was so excited that i didn't stop to think. this is making me more frustrated than i need to be. and what is the point of a ginger sitz bath? hello...never had a sitz bath in my life...why do i need to waste 30 mins a day that i probably won't find? and over a pound of ground ginger...a POUND. you see...the more i think about it the worse the idea gets. i've googled and googled midwifes in my area, the closest that i can find is 3 hrs away. i don't know what to do.

April 2nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
Awwww I'm sorry Kelsie, your MW shouldnt make you feel like that at all!!! if that was mine I'd switch if possible, sorry there's none in your area if you think you can do UC then i say go for it!! good luck!

April 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
thanks! i have my SIL looking around, i guess she knows a few people that have gone through other midwives in town. i'm crossing my fingers.

April 2nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
and her theory about flour and pasta making big babies is WRONG!! hahahah, I almost never eat pasta or flour goodies (I just dont feel the need), and my first baby was 9lb 12 oz, second 10 lb, then I had a mini baby at 8lb 6 oz and my last was 11lb 2 oz and I didnt eat much flour or pasta!!!! haha!! I crave meat and protein, and veggies when pregnant!! so she is soooo wrong!!!!

Actually when I got pregnant unexpectedly this time around I wasnt taking folic acid, and wasnt eating much bread or flour I actually worried about my folic acid intake at that point!! that's how little of flour and bread I eat.

Last edited by Martina; April 2nd, 2009 at 09:15 PM.
April 2nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
and her theory about flour and pasta making big babies is WRONG!! hahahah, I almost never eat pasta or flour goodies (I just dont feel the need), and my first baby was 9lb 12 oz, second 10 lb, then I had a mini baby at 8lb 6 oz and my last was 11lb 2 oz and I didnt eat much flour or pasta!!!! haha!! I crave meat and protein, and veggies when pregnant!! so she is soooo wrong!!!!

Actually when I got pregnant unexpectedly this time around I wasnt taking folic acid, and wasnt eating much bread or flour I actually worried about my folic acid intake at that point!! that's how little of flour and bread I eat.
i know! she actually tried telling me that big babies aren't genetics...it's bread! oh man. this is getting worse!

April 3rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Um, I could not do that. My midwife suggested healthy eating habits, but she'd never suggest putting me on a strict diet. I wouldn't do it to be honest, especially that one!

I ate tons of pasta both pregnancies and both of my sons came out at 7lbs.

Maybe contact the other midwife who's 3 hours away? My midwife traveled, maybe she does to? It won't hurt to at least speak to her, you know?

You should not be made to feel bad in any way during your pregnancy. This diet seems crazy to me!

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
April 3rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
well I guess the question is: Do you have to follow that diet? She will never know what you are eating LOL, you can always tell her you are eating what she wants you to eat LOL.

April 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hope your SIL gets some good news for you! *fingers crossed* too

I ate soooo much junk when I was prego with Zane from the "no" list: pasta, breads, tons of sugar, milk, ginger ale (helped my morning sickness), used the microwave, pork, spicy (craved it), fried food.....my labor was 22 hours, he was late (read a new study that's genetics on the fathers side) and he was only 7 lbs 8oz

April 3rd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i still haven't heard from my sil...but i did ask her just last night so i'm going to wait longer before i freak! everyone i talk to says this lady is a "moron." lol. pregnant women should not be on a strict diet. i think you should eat healthy. less sweets, no soda, more veggies, you get where i'm going. i just don't understand why she insists on making my labors shorter than they already are, and my babies smaller. you'd think when i tell her these things, she's get the picture. if my labors were any shorter, she wouldn't make it to the birth...actually, no one would, my 5 year old would probably be the one delivering...lol! but i tell you, i'm getting alot of flack for mentioning an unassisted homebirth. everyone says, "oh don't do it, so much can go wrong." i'm not by any means worried. i've had 4 babies and i know i could do it just fine. plus, we're 5 mins from the nearest hospital. i honestly don't see peoples issues with homebirth. 100 years ago, everyone had babies at home. anyways, i'm going to talk to her today and be really nice and let her know how i feel and see what we can figure out.

April 3rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lindsey that makes sense about the genetics, my husband was a month late (Seriously) and both my boys were late. Hmm. My brother and I were both a week early. Thats interesting!

I hope you hear good news from your SIL. Good luck and let us know!

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
April 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Yea, I thought so too Marisa, same here i'll find the link: Is the Baby Overdue? Blame Dad's Genes - Science - redOrbit

April 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
that is interesting! i can't believe this lady told me that genetics doesn't play a role. lol.

April 4th, 2009, 07:59 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
Wow, that is a crazy diet! I was on no diet what so ever, I'm vegetarian. I had lots of soy products also & never had issues. But what I did was evening primrose at 32 weeks vaginally & orally 500mg vaginally, 500mg orally.. & from 28 weeks on I did red raspberry leaf tea 2-3 times a day. My labor was seriously a complete breeze. I was at 6cm & my midwife & I cannot believe it. I also walked, laughed, & watched movies till 15 mins before she was born when my water broke.

Also lots & lots of walking.

& bread makes big babies? My goodness.. my biggest love while pregnant was fresh warm biscuits & bread - My girl was 7lbs 12oz.

April 4th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Veteran
Yeah, that seems really extreme. My midwives do have a policy about eating well, but they just ask about what I am eating and want to see that I am eating lots of fruits and veggies and trying not to overload on the sweets. One midwife did say that she had noticed that women who eat a pint of ice cream every night did tend to have bigger babies (I was craving ice cream)- but I am at about a pint every week or two so I think I am ok! I think that I would definitely meet with her again and ask if this diet is a requirement. Even though she wouldn't really ever know if you didn't follow it, i think that being so extreme in this area may make me feel uncomfortable overall having her as my midwife. I would be worried that my birth wouldn't be what i wanted either....

Baby Bria born 5/6/09

April 4th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
so i wrote her an email last night. i can say what i want when i'm not talking directly to someone, i'm silly, i know. anyways, i was kinda long but i was very nice. i told her my feelings on the diet and told her how this diet is becoming more than i can afford. i told her though that i am willing to work with her, if she's willing to work with me. i told her i just want this simple. i think her diet is extreme, but i have no doubts that she is good at delivering babies as she's delivered over 800. i'm very willing to do this on my own if i have too, but i would rather have a midwife there. normally she's been really good with writing back immediately, i've heard nothing. i guess we'll see.

April 6th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Good luck Kelsie! (I too write/express myself in writing better than in person you're not weird) Keep us posted!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search