Group B Strep

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I was GBS positive with my first 2 pregnancies, and yes you can have it one week and next you dont have that is why they test so close to your due date (not sure why they even bothered at 16 weeks), after I found out with my first I talked to my naturopath and he treated it, and I never had any antibiotics during labour, I refused it, said I would take them if I had a fever, water was broken for 24+ hours etc. Never had any problems with my babies. My last 2 pregnancies I was negative but I did similar "treatment" before the tests.
Can I ask what the "treatment" was? I would really like to get rid of it if I can, and some of the treatment suggestions on the internet are really overwhelming!
April 9th, 2009, 11:53 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
Awesome. I just went to CVS across the street & the girl showed me a few different pills, I got the ones that need to be refrigerated.. It says to take one a day, so I'll start that now.. She said its good for you regardless, so maybe this is something I should have started sooner! I also got some Hibiclens there as well. It was also FSA so I didn't have to pay out of pocket. I'll wait till later to start using that.

April 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad you got the answers you were looking for! Sorry I couldn't be much help. My first I tested negative and then my 2nd (the home birth) I opted out. So I'm not to familiar with it all.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
April 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM
GoldmanBaby09's Avatar Regular
I'm not quite to the point in my pregnancy where I need to worry about this yet, but I am thinking I am going to decline. Since I am having a hb, I won't be hooked to an IV, anyway. The chances of my baby contracting it are very small, and women have obviously been giving birth forever without worrying about this. I feel there are several tests/procedures that they do in the hospital that has more to do with viewing women and their bodies as unclean than it does with actually protecting you and your baby. GBS is one, eye prophylaxis is another. They don't care you tested negative for chlamydia and gonorrhea, they are going to grease up your babies eyes with that goo, anyway. IDK, it is so hard to know what things are worth stressing over, and which things to just let go of. . .

28 weeks--Boobs and Bump

April 9th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If your baby becomes infected, it is very deadly in a short period of time. If you decline testing all together, I would get very, very educated on the symptoms just in case. I know of a case where aunt and grandma were both practicing nurses helping mom with the baby, and even they barely caught the symptoms in time.

I mean women have been dealing with the RH poisoning for ages, and their subsequent babies just inexplicably died. Sometimes medical testing is actually a good thing. There are better ways to avoid/treat the GBS issue, of course (and I may avoid antibiotics myself, even if I am positive), but I do think knowing if your pos. or not is a good thing, even if it just gives you the "heads up" to keep an eye out.

April 9th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Super Mommy
I never tested for my first 2 babies, and I would have declined it with this baby. But it came up in a urine test, so now I am trying to get rid of it as naturally as I can.
60-70% of babies that contract it are premature or underweight so if you are full-term your risks go down substantially. Plus breast-feeding right away and lots of skin to skin to make sure the baby stays warm helps prevent infection.
Even if you are positive at the birth, if you aren't running a fever during labor or have ruptured membranes for more than 12 hours, your chances of passing it on are low.
April 9th, 2009, 06:20 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I decided to test for the GBS (i tested my self ) was negative but my MW too has the health/natural regime for it.

April 9th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8tivem View Post
Can I ask what the "treatment" was? I would really like to get rid of it if I can, and some of the treatment suggestions on the internet are really overwhelming!
I actually dont remember it has been 8 1/2 and 7 1/2 years LOL, but I would just follow those from online if you dont have midwife telling you what to do.

April 10th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Veteran
My midwife said that in her experience she has noticed a link between babies who do develop the infection and pregnant mamas who suffer from a lot of UTI's, and yeast infections during their pregnancy. This is only based on a couple of experiences that she has but it is probably worth thinking about. If you are suffering a lot from infection yourself while pregnant and test positive for strep than you may want to think more about some sort of treatment.
She didn't mention any of the probiotics or other cleanses but I will ask about this at my next appt.
By the way, do be really careful about what probiotics you buy and that they come from someplace that has taken good care of them and made sure that they have remained refrigerated. It is my understanding that they can die very easily. And about yogurt, I have been told that most conventional yohgurt bought at the grocery store contains very little if any live cultures. I was told at one time to pick an organic yogurt that is local so that it hasn't had to travel too far.... depending on where you live that could be difficult!

Baby Bria born 5/6/09

April 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
GBS tests, imo, are not necessary. Reason being... they test you at say 36 weeks, you birth at 41 weeks, in that five weeks things change. Many moms who test + at 36 wks are in fact - at 41 wks (birth) & vice versa. Same for testing early in pregnancy, you won't remain + the entire day, at least not in most circumstances.

To treat in case is also not a good idea, imo. With that logic, why not treat for everything, just in case? It is best, I believe, to treat the infection if it happens.

April 10th, 2009, 12:45 PM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
So that means, vice versa.. If a woman is negative at 35-37 weeks when they test, she could be positive at 40-41 weeks..

I guess I never realized how random GBS really is! I might not even get the test, learning all of this. Wow.

April 10th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Super Mommy
Does anyone know if it is safe to use Garlic this early in pregnancy? I keep hearing how amazing it works if you leave a whole clove in the vagina overnight. But everything I read is refering to dealing with GBS in the last few weeks of pregnancy, I just want to make sure that its not going to put me into labor or make me loose my plug or something. Seems unlikely, but I just figured I'd ask.
April 10th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Super Mommy
Does anyone know if it is safe to use Garlic this early in pregnancy? I keep hearing how amazing it works if you leave a whole clove in the vagina overnight. But everything I read is refering to dealing with GBS in the last few weeks of pregnancy, I just want to make sure that its not going to put me into labor or make me loose my plug or something. Seems unlikely, but I just figured I'd ask.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search