so torn...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
okay, so a few weeks ago I met with a homebirth midwife. I really like her (I'd met her before) and feel very comfortable with her. The main "downsides" are that she is not state licensed (she is a CPM, just doesn't have state credentials), and we have to pay out of pocket because she doesn't accept insurance (due to the licensing thing). Other than that I'm very comfortable with her.

Fast forward to today. I heard about a new homebirth midwifery team starting up in our area. So I emailed them and met with one of the women today. She's also really nice, though I didn't click with her quite as well. She is state licensed (just finished her training and certification a couple months ago) and they are working on contracts with insurance companies. So while I will probably be covered insurance-wise, chances are we'll have to pay at least part up front and wait for reimbursement.

plus during our conversation a couple things she said kinda set off my radar. First off, she lives nearly an hour away from me and at some point mid-pregnancy I'll start having to drive to her house for appointments. And she said that they are very conservative in regards to at what point they transfer people to the hospital. Which kinda concerns me.

The appeal of not paying out of pocket is high, but I just don't know what to do! My next appointment with the first midwife is May 1st...

Any thoughts?? I think my gut is telling me to stick with the first, but I don't know if that's just my uber-loyal personality talking (I have a VERY hard time quitting a job because I quickly feel loyalty to people/companies)...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

April 10th, 2009, 05:26 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife is a CPM and we had to pay out of pocket, however we were able to make payments. The only state licensed midwives I found here worked in the hospital and wouldn't do home births, so I had to go with a CPM. I had no complications and had excellent care.

I honestly think that if your gut says mw#1 id go with her.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
April 10th, 2009, 05:28 PM
yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Her fees are pretty low, $1550 and it includes birth kit, supplies, tub rental and everything.

April 10th, 2009, 05:40 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That was cheaper then my birth and mine included everything! Mine was 1865

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
April 10th, 2009, 08:39 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
go with your gut!
April 10th, 2009, 11:30 PM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HI Kelli,
I'd definitely go with Shannon. Did you know she's actually in the process of becoming licensed? The big UPSIDE of having Shannon is that Dr. Frazer (My ND and midwife) is her assistant and brings with her a WEALTH of not only midwifery skills & experience but also naturopathic doctoring/medical skills way above and beyond the general knowledge of just a midwife. I feel VERY comfortable with them as a team and have LOVED both of my births with them attending. The main thing though, is that you make a decision that YOU are comfortable with. I had to pay $1800 out of pocket this last time since our new ins. does not cover home births. I would have been covered 100% had I chosed a hospital birth but there's NO WAY I'd ever choose that, so the money was well worth it. Thankfully we were able to use our tax return for it. Ginger (aka dr. frazer) is totally flexible on payment plans and I'm guessing that Shannon probably is too. Who you have at the birth really sets a tone for the whole experience so I'd go with the person/team you feel comfortable with and click with!
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
April 11th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I know Shannon had mentioned trying to get licensed for Oregon and then transferring it to Washington to avoid all the hassle WA puts on licensing. But it's been 3 weeks or so since I've seen her so things may have changed. She will do payment arrangements which we've already talked about.

anyway, I've decided to stick with her. It just feels right

April 13th, 2009, 08:52 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I am glad you figured it out, I would suggest the same, go with what you feel confortable with. To me, cost isn't a factor, comfort and ease is.

April 13th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Super Mommy
Wow! I guess it really depends on the state or something. My birth with a home birth Dr in IL (everything included) was almost $7000, my moms births in IL with a CNM were close to $5000. It would be amazing to find anyone for under 2000
April 14th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
Kelli have you heard of Kristin Eggleston or Lorri (not sure what her last name is)? They come to you for the visits. Kristin is located in Prosser and Lorri is in Goldendale. They are kinda taking over for Fran at wild rose.

They charge a $3000 global fee that encompasses all labwork, birthkit, tub rental, and a variety of other expenses. For private pay clients, they are offering a half-off cash discount for our first 5 clients who sign up with them. One is already gone, but four are left. They can accept insurance and medicaid too, but it won't cover everything.

If you want any more info about them just ask

Oh here is there website
Home

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

April 14th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Jenny - Kristen is the second midwife that I was talking about

April 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
Jenny - Kristen is the second midwife that I was talking about
oh ok

I have emailed with her a little bit and I don't think she would be right for me if we ever have another baby.

I think I would stay with your 1st midwife, if I were you.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search