How did you find your midwife?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM
bkro9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How did all of you go about finding a midwife? Did you interview a lot of them? What were you looking for?

And how did you convince your hubby to do a home birth?? ;0)
April 19th, 2009, 06:23 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I looked online and found my midwifes website. Read over everything, we then went and met with her.

He didn't want to do it at first. I had him sit down and watch The Business of Being Born, then fully expressed why I did not want to go back to a hospital. He agreed to meet with the midwife to ask her questions and such. We met with her a few days later, he asked every question under the sun and when we left he told me to cancel my other appointment because we were going the home birth route.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
April 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I heard about mine at a AP parenting party. Initially I met her when I went to a friend's appointment. I did interview another midwife, but I just feel the most comfortable with her.

As for DH, his viewpoint is that birth is my body, my choice. He doesn't feel it's his place to question my decisions in that regard. We talked about it during my last pregnancy, so after she was born, he just assumed we were going to do a HB next time. He'd even be okay doing unassisted if that's what I want.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

April 19th, 2009, 07:24 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
i use the same midwife my mom used. she's delivered all my babies and i just love her to death!

i don't really remember how home birth came up with kevin. i think he was just uncertain about things because he didn't know much about it. after i presented him the facts, he was a-ok.

eta, he's so on board that i don't think he'd let me go to a hospital to birth even if i wanted to!

Survivor Mom - My Blog

Last edited by wifey2kevin; April 19th, 2009 at 07:27 PM.
April 21st, 2009, 05:01 PM
bkro9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! I plan on showing my husband the business of being born. His wariness is just because of "safety". I hope that a good midwife can ease him into it!
April 22nd, 2009, 10:36 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found mine online, made an appointment and after meeting them...was sold!! I really, really liked them. As far as DH, his mom had 4 homebirths and we're both very au natural when it comes to healthcare so there wasn't any convincing that needed to be done. I think I would've had to convince him if I decided I wanted to birth in a hospital. Hehe.
April 22nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I called the ones that were near to me and asked who was available. All told me they weren't. LOL! I found one elsewhere, farther away who 9 weeks prior to my due date was unavailable and she arranged for another midwife to take over my care. So I "met" my midwife 9 weeks prior to her EDD and I met her face to face 4 weeks before her birth.

April 24th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She's 3 blocks away. I had interviews set up with several midwives, but then I liked her so much, I just went with her.
April 24th, 2009, 07:34 PM
marialena's Avatar Veteran
We found ours online. i had e-mailed one a few months earlier and they never got back to me. When i found our midwife she had just put up her website, she had retired and moved and decided to start up again, i was one of her first clients here. i was drawn to use her because of her professionalism, the other midwives i found seemed sloppy.
i hope i can refer her someday!

April 27th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Veteran
Thankfully I have a midwife in the family! She's my aunt, and helped raise me, so it's awesome! But online is a great resource for finding midwives. Calling some local Doulas for suggestions might work too.
For my partner being scared, I set him up on the computer and told him to research homebirth, an hour later he was all for it. He was also excited that with a homebirth he could be involved in the birth pretty much as much as he wanted to be.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search