Log In Sign Up

I think it is time to end concurrent care. . .


Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
April 30th, 2009, 11:33 AM
GoldmanBaby09's Avatar Regular
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 60
So, I have been planning a homebirth since I found out I was pregnant and have been seeing a hb midwife the whole time. I also have been seeing a CNM at an OB's office because I wanted my insurance to have to pay for something (labs, ultrasounds, ect) since they aren't footing the bill for the birth. I wish I would have just stuck with my hb mw and not bothered with anyone else. I like the CNM but the office policies suck and I often have to wait up to an hour before they even call me back to an exam room. I'm tired of wasting everyone's time and just want to be done. I had the AFP done in February, and when the numbers came back slightly elevated, they sent me to a perinatalogist. So, here is my issue. I have a growth ultrasound scheduled with the perinate May 15. I have my next appt with the CNM on the 13th. I am thinking that I will just tell the CNM that is our last appt and tell her I am planning a hb. My only concern is that if the OB office knows I am having a hb, that might cause problems with the perinate. I know that the offices "talk" to each other and I hate the politics. I'm not sure if I should just wait until after the ultrasound and then just cancel my appts with the CNM or be frank and explain to her face why I'm not coming anymore and just deal with anything that may happen with the perinatalogist. What do you ladies think?
__________________

28 weeks--Boobs and Bump



Reply With Quote
  #2  
April 30th, 2009, 04:58 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, Canada
Posts: 13,240
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Do you feel you need to see the perinatologist? If so, then I wouldn't tell them at this point. However, if you feel the peri appt is not needed then go ahead and tell now cause you likely will be dropped.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3  
May 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM
GoldmanBaby09's Avatar Regular
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 60
I mostly want to have the ultrasound done just to confirm that the baby is head down and growing appropriately. I don't think there will be any problems. My fundal height has been good and he is active so I am mostly anticipating that the perinate will print out a few pictures and send me on my way. I also want a chance to explain to the CNM what I am doing, because I think she will probably support me personally, even if her practice won't allow her to support me professionally. I know I will likely be dropped, which is why I wanted to drop them first, preemptively
__________________

28 weeks--Boobs and Bump



Reply With Quote
  #4  
May 1st, 2009, 11:17 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, Canada
Posts: 13,240
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Baby being head down at 29 weeks is not any indication of where s/he will be at term. By about 36 weeks most are head down, but at this point confirmation of this is not an indication. However, that said, any Dr or midwife will be able to palpate and tell where the position of the head is.

I would encourage you to trust your instincts, most babies grow fine and it is typical to have one u/s in a pregnancy, so having another at this point is very uncommon. But, if you feel you need another u/s to give you reassurance then go for it.

I am not a fan of ultrasound use in pregnancy, I believe that the risks outweigh the benefits for the average person.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #5  
May 4th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 115
I wrote a post about this a few weeks back, and I did end up telling my OB that I was having a home birth and he thought it was fine. I asked him if he was going to drop me and he looked at me like I was crazy and said "no, why would I". He said that they would continue seeing me as long as I kept coming in and that they would also see me in the hospital if that were to happen. I was very surprised as this is a pretty traditional place..
Just wanted to let you know.
Also, about the ultrasound, as someone who has dealt with a couple of losses, I have had more ultrasounds then I probably needed this pregnancy (4). My DH was concerned, but we decided that my peace of mind was really important- and my midwives were supportive of this as well. So, I think go with what ever feels right for you!
__________________

Baby Bria born 5/6/09


Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:07 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0