Homebirth around 36 weeks, would you do it?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Regular
Okay, before I go deep in, let me introduce myself. I'm Danielle, I'm expecting baby number 3. I've been seeing a midwife and planning a homebirth this whole pregnancy. My other two were hospital births and this baby is my last baby, dh has his snip date set for june 4th.

So heres why I'm asking the question, I'm 32/33 weeks (depends if you go by LMP or U/S), I'm on bedrest for preterm labor and taking medication to keep contractions at bay. But I run out of pills in about 3 1/2 weeks.

Here in Arizona the rules for homebirth are no earlier then 36 weeks and no later than 42 weeks. The midwife wants to use my LMP due date which is july 12, and would put me at 32 weeks, which means I need to hold off another 4 weeks. but if the ultrasound date is correct then I'd actually be 33 weeks and the 4 week wait would put me around 37 weeks.

So would you homebirth a 36/37 week baby or would you go to the hospital?

I really want to have this baby at home and the thought of going back to the hospital really upsets me, but I dont want to have a 911 call if the baby is having problems. Gosh I'm really torn.

May 17th, 2009, 01:19 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My home birth baby gave me a few complications towards the end. I started bleeding at 35 weeks and it didn't stop for a week and a half. My midwife wanted me to wait as long as I could, so I was put on bedrest until 37 weeks. From 37 weeks she was willing to deliver and my husband and I were agreed we would be willing to deliver at 37 weeks at home. I have the fire department right down the street from my house.

I think honestly, you need to dig down deep inside and figure out how you would truly feel. If you're comfortable with that thought, then go for it. If not, than I would be safe and go to the hospital.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
May 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Regular
So how did your baby do at home at 37 weeks?

I think my fear is really stemming from my first son being born at 35 weeks 5 days and still having breathing problems and having to be airvac'd. At that gestation most babys would have been just fine, but he had to go to a level four NICU. So most of all I worry that this baby's lungs not being mature at 36 weeks.

I also feel like 37 is pretty safe, but just dont know what to trust, the lmp or the u/s, because either way both can be wrong.

May 17th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I think your concerns are very much warranted. I would feel the same way as you.

He wasn't born at 37 weeks, my midwife said that once I hit 37 weeks and I went into labor she'd deliver me at home without concern. He was actually born at 41 weeks exactly. We think the bleeding was caused by my cervix softening and preparing for delivery.

I think in this case, you need to trust your heart. I hope your little one stays in long enough for you to have the birth you want! I don't know if there is a way for you to find out how mature the babies lungs are. I have never had to deal with that.

Killian's Birth Story
May 17th, 2009, 09:09 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Your midwife is more than qualified to assess your baby at birth & will know if s/he needs to transport.

I would birth a 36/37 weeker at home.

May 17th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would go by LMP not u/s, those are not that accurate (well depending when you had the u/s, if you had an early one - around 6-9 weeks then that should be quite accurate, if it was around 20 weeks then it could be off, mine was off by 8 days at 20 weeks)
With your history of premature baby I personally would go to hospital, but that is just me.
I hope you can have the birth after week 37.
With my own history I would be OK having birth at home at 37 weeks.

May 18th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Regular
Thanks for all your responses. Homestly its nice to hear the opinion of women who don't have that "mainstream, hospital is best" mindset.
The u/s was at 8 weeks when we got a july 5th due date, and then a 26 week and 30 week. u/s said due date was july 4th. And from looking back if I was due july 12, that means I would have O'd at day 20, and that has never happened, I was pretty always a pretty regular cycle, with my O on the 12-14th day. Eitherway, I need to do some positive thinking and get to 37 weeks!

May 19th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I would stick to the earliest U/S date if you go by that because like Martina said, the later the U/S the more inaccurate they are. They told me my first baby would be at least 9lbs when I was in labor with him and he was a 7lb 5oz baby!

Killian's Birth Story
May 20th, 2009, 03:34 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't answer your question because I haven't had my homebirth yet, BUT I noticed you said you're in AZ...whereabouts? I'm here too!
May 21st, 2009, 03:21 PM
Regular
I'm from a small town called Arizona City. Its inbetween phoenix and Tucson. Where are you located

May 22nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I had my third at home UC at 35w6d. I had been in labor for 4 days when he was born. I was confident that his lungs were ready for a few reasons. I'd actually felt him practicing breathing(craziest thing, I'd never felt that before, but I think God has ways of reassuring us, or leading us to the proper decision, and I belive He let me feel that so I knew that ds2 was ready, it was just a few days before he was born, I think the day before labor started). Also, I was in labor for 4 days, so I was confident that my body had been releasing the proper hormones, and his also, to get him ready. He absolutely NO problems breathing or eating when he was born. My others were born at 37w6d and 39w3d and had no problems breathing either. I think it definitely has to be a personal decision that you've spent lots of time praying/thinking about.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
May 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
Regular
That is awesome that he was totally heathly at that gestation. I've been reading alot of birth stories from the Uk and many of the preterm homebirth had normal outcomes. In fact there was some articles about how the vigrous suctioning used in hospitals can actually cause breathing problems...which made me think about my first son who was premature and although he was crying normally at birth they suctioned him out for a a long time with tubes down his throat and such.

May 22nd, 2009, 11:44 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
New research is recommending AGAINST suctioning in the hospital routinely.

May 23rd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I've been reading some of the same things about suctioning too. The little bit of suctioning we did with both our UC's didn't seem to help much.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
May 24th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Regular
I'm glad I'm not the only one reading this, it pretty scary how the "golden rule" of suctioning all babies and is now recommended against. we can only guess how many babies were caused damaged because of this.

June 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My m/w will also do 36-42.5 weeks at home.....I would go with your first u/s and more importantly your GUT. I "at this time" feel fine with a 36 weeker at home (my m/w does carry oxygen /resuscitation equipment IF needed, so that helps). But they have those rules from their experience and studies---so I feel confident knowing if they are ok with a 36 weeker so am I.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search